• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Goose Fat and Garlic

Dave Hatfield

I've been enjoying the thread about Paula Wolfert's book on Southwestern French cooking. I'll certainly be using many of her recipies. I started wondering, however, how many of you were aware of Jeanne Strang's book "Goose Fat & Garlic"?

GF&G was published in 1991 and revised in 2003. The author lives in SW France and has done so for many years. The book is even more narrative in style the Paula's and gives a wonderful look at life in rural France not so long ago. The recipies are superb and probably more home cooking style rather than restaurant cooking.

I look on the two books as complementary; both are essental to the understanding of this part of France and its cooking.

GF&G is available from Amazon.

So, my question is? Is there any interest in starting a thread on GF&G? Maybe not cooking our way through it, but a compendium of experiences, comments, success stories (or otherwise)

I await your comments.

• 3 months later...
I've been enjoying the thread about Paula Wolfert's book on Southwestern French cooking. I'll certainly be using many of her recipies. I started wondering, however, how many of you were aware of Jeanne Strang's book "Goose Fat & Garlic"?

GF&G was published in 1991 and revised in 2003. The author lives in SW France and has done so for many years. The book is even more narrative in style the Paula's and gives a wonderful look at life in rural France not so long ago. The recipies are superb and probably more home cooking style rather than restaurant cooking.

I look on the two books as complementary; both are essental to the understanding of this part of France and its cooking.

GF&G is available from Amazon.

So, my question is? Is there any interest in starting a thread on GF&G? Maybe not cooking our way through it, but a compendium of experiences, comments, success stories (or otherwise)

I await your comments.

Earlier tonight I ordered the Wolfert book, 2nd ed. (already have 1st). So I called them again and added the Strang book. I'll let you know what I see when I get it, try it. Thanks for the heads up. There are some great books out there, like Wolfert's that suck up all the oxygen so that other good books can get overlooked.

"Half of cooking is thinking about cooking." ---Michael Roberts

• 17 years later...