• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Garlic Confit

lindag

I've been reading about this at ATK.  Says the garlic and the oil are marvelous for adding to many dishes.  Anyone done this?

I intend to as soon as I can source the peeled garlic cloves.

• Like 2

Here's the recipe for those who'd like to make this now:

Garlic Confit
1 cup extra-virgin olive oil or vegetable oil, or a combination, plus extra as needed
30 garlic cloves, peeled and roots trimmed
In a small, deep saucepan to ensure that the garlic is submerged; garlic may float. Store the cooked garlic separately from the oil. use confit for mashed potatoes or pasta, spread it on bread for sandwiches, or puree it into dips or dressings.

Combine oil and garlic in small saucepan (garlic should be just submerged. If not, add extra oil to cover). Bring to bare simmer over medium-low heat. Reduce heat to low so tiny bubbles surround garlic, but garlic is not actively frying. to cook, stirring occasionally, until garlic is soft and pale tan, 30 to 35 minutes longer. (Garlic should be soft.)
Off heat, let garlic cool in oil for at least 15 minutes (garlic will darken slightly as it cools). Using slotted spoon, transfer garlic to airtight container. Strain oil through fine-mesh strainer into separate airtight container and reserve for another use. (Once completely cooled, refrigerate garlic for up to 1 week or freeze for up to 6 months. Refrigerate oil for up to 4 days.  Do no keep in fridge longer than 7 days for safety reasons.

• Like 1

Here's a restaurant recipe -put garlic cloves in a pot, cover with oil (barely, the cloves will shrink as they loose moisture), put on low heat until soft. you can also puree the cloves once cooked in a robot coupe and pass through a strainer to get a nice garlic paste that works great in all sorts of stuff

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, lindag said:

ATK actually recommends using the big jars of already-peeled garlic.

That's what I'm going to do.

According to their testing, they're just as good as the fresh.

I find them much less pungent but like the convenience

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, lindag said:

ATK actually recommends using the big jars of already-peeled garlic.

I can't manage to use up a big jar before they deteriorate but I've been able to get them in smaller quantities for when I'm too lazy to peel. 

For example, Trader Joe's sells a 4 oz package that contains 4 little pouches that each contain a handful of peeled garlic cloves.  Other stores also sell 4 - 8 oz pouches of peeled garlic. 

On a per ounce basis, they're more expensive than the big jars but it's not a deal for me if I need to toss half of it!

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

I can't manage to use up a big jar before they deteriorate but I've been able to get them in smaller quantities for when I'm too lazy to peel. 

For example, Trader Joe's sells a 4 oz package that contains 4 little pouches that each contain a handful of peeled garlic cloves.  Other stores also sell 4 - 8 oz pouches of peeled garlic. 

On a per ounce basis, they're more expensive than the big jars but it's not a deal for me if I need to toss half of it!

That's a good though for those of us who don't cook for loads of people.

I currently buy the Christopher Ranch cloves and keep them frozen.

They also come with small bags inside.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, lindag said:

That's a good though for those of us who don't cook for loads of people.

I currently buy the Christopher Ranch cloves and keep them frozen.

They also come with small bags inside.

I've been known to make a small batch of confit by dumping one of those little bags into a small ramekin or pyrex custard cup, adding olive oil to cover, some thyme, rosemary or not, cover with foil and pop into a 350°F oven for 45 min. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1