• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

It's Fat Tuesday!

Basilgirl

@OlyveOyl – too bad those pancakes were so much trouble!  They are gorgeous and look delicious.

@Shelby – love muffulettas!   Perfect Fat Tuesday meal!

Well, we had a HORDE of people at church for the pancake supper.  I was flipping pancakes from 5:00 until almost 7:00.  I managed to snag a sausage patty and a pancake out of the holding pans and eat them standing up between flips!  I discovered a new favorite sausage.  Swaggerty's brand from Sam’s is what they bought for us to use.  They were excellent and at $14.48 for 42 patties, very affordable. 

• Like 5

• 11 months later...

Still aiming towards the RB&R.  I put a pound of Rancho Gordo Domingo Rojos to soak.  They're what I usually use but then I realized that I have a bag of RG's King City Pinks and they may be more traditional so I put them to soak as well.  

I retrieved the andouille sausage from the freezer.  Sadly, I apparently used the last smoked hock from Broadbent.  I'll sub a little bacon seasoning meat from Father's (overwhelmingly smoky on its own) and supplement with some ham from Broadbent's dinner steaks.  Just need to go to the store for a green bell pepper - I'm not a hater 🤣

Even sadder than the lack of a smoked ham hock in my freezer is the fact that California's meddlesome Prop 12 means that Broadbent won't ship me any more of them...or any of their other pork products.  Dang! 

Edited by blue_dolphin
typo (log)
  • Sad 1

22 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

I'm think I'm going to do the Red Beans & Rice from Shaya but I should sroll back through this topic for other ideas. 

My raised in NO wife would say this is heresy.  RB&R is ALWAYS on Monday!!!

20 minutes ago, KennethT said:

My raised in NO wife would say this is heresy.  RB&R is ALWAYS on Monday!!!

well, I grew up in northern NY state with pancakes for Shrove Tuesday and now I’m in SoCal  where anything goes 🤣

But, do tell, what would your raised in NO wife deem an acceptable meal for today?

Edited by blue_dolphin
Cat typos (log)
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

well, I grew up in northern NY state with pancakes for Shrove Tuesday and now I’m in SoCal  where anything goes 🤣

But, do tell, what would your raised in NO wife deem an acceptable meal for today?

To be honest, if you were to meet her, she's the last person in the world who you'd think was raised there - she basically spent all of her time in libraries and didn't socialize very much, so she'd probably have no idea!  I imagine jambalaya or an etoufee would always be welcome.  But she did say that RB&R was always on Monday because it's made on Sunday then sits in the fridge overnight and is eaten on Monday.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, KennethT said:

she did say that RB&R was always on Monday because it's made on Sunday then sits in the fridge overnight and is eaten on Monday.

Are you/she sure about this?  it's contrary to the most common explanation for Monday service, to wit, Monday's laundry chores:

Louisiana native Brooks Hamaker (@Mayhaw Man)

Louisianian FistFullaRoux

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

33 minutes ago, KennethT said:

To be honest, if you were to meet her, she's the last person in the world who you'd think was raised there - she basically spent all of her time in libraries and didn't socialize very much, so she'd probably have no idea!  I imagine jambalaya or an etoufee would always be welcome.  But she did say that RB&R was always on Monday because it's made on Sunday then sits in the fridge overnight and is eaten on Monday.

There's a local take-out spot that makes excellent jambalaya, gumbo and etoufee.  They might be closed today if they have a lot of catering jobs but if they're open, maybe I'll treat myself to one of your recommendations.  

I'd always heard that the RB&R was made on Monday because they could use the ham bone leftover from Sunday dinner and because Monday was traditionally laundry day, it was good to have something that could simmer all day without attention.  Either way, Tuesday clearly isn't the right day!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dave the Cook said:

Are you/she sure about this?

Absolutely not.  Neither of us is a historian of that area.  It was just what her stepfather used to always tell her as she was growing up and that was what he learned from his grandmother who raised him.  They always had it on Monday - rather, every Monday they would have it, making it the day before.  Maybe that was just what their family did?

2 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

There's a local take-out spot that makes excellent jambalaya, gumbo and etoufee.  They might be closed today if they have a lot of catering jobs but if they're open, maybe I'll treat myself to one of your recommendations.  

I'd always heard that the RB&R was made on Monday because they could use the ham bone leftover from Sunday dinner and because Monday was traditionally laundry day, it was good to have something that could simmer all day without attention.  Either way, Tuesday clearly isn't the right day!

I was actually being tongue-in-cheek with my comment - my wife doesn't care what anyone does, as long as they were happy.  Neither of us follow traditions much.  And we've never had RB&R in our house, ever - neither of us are fans of beans!

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, KennethT said:

... RB&R was always on Monday because it's made on Sunday then sits in the fridge overnight and is eaten on Monday.

Well, I'll be doing RB&R on Wednesday, today..  My grocery order gets picked this morning and I needed the andouille.  This dish is a favorite of mine and I like it spicy.

• Like 3

Crêpes! Savory (traditional "crêpe complete" with ham, egg, and cheese) and sweet (granulated sugar; honey and lemon; nutella and whipped cream; granulated sugar with a touch of calvados and topped with whipped cream (to die for)).

Crêpes jambon, oeuf, fromage

Crêpes: sucre, Calvados, creme chantilly

As a side note, somebody please tell Kenji that crêpes are supposed to be browned (the blender technique he has on Serious Eats is great - I use it with the crepe batter recipe from Anne Willan - but his crêpes are undercooked!).

Edited by FrogPrincesse (log)
  • Like 6
  • Delicious 2

4 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

Emily's Famous Red Beans & Rice from the recipe in Shaya, made with Rancho Gordo King City Pinks and Massa Organics brown rice. 

162AEE9B-4F43-4A75-A29E-DA94EFFFDD47_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.90c80be54931f019a32e5ca1c697fdf8.jpeg

We love RB&R around here. Monday, Tuesday, any day is fine. Yours look perfect. We prefer them with brown rice too.

• Thanks 1