• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2023

liuzhou

2 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Shrimp, Avocado and Mango Salad.

salad1.thumb.jpg.871ff0b5bab121be79f2f9c9c5956992.jpg

Also included lettuce,  egg, cherry tomatoes, rocket/arugula, red cabbage, chickpeas, endive, quinoa and cranberries(!). Dressed with a honey mustard dressing and sprinkled with "parmesan" sawdust.

salad2.thumb.jpg.860df56f921864af528e85182b340ac9.jpg

Strange salad.

salad?  In China?  Also, how was the mango? I wonder where they're getting ripe mango from right now....

40 minutes ago, KennethT said:

salad?  In China?  Also, how was the mango? I wonder where they're getting ripe mango from right now....

It is from a "Western" restaurant - the one where I get the reasonably good pizza with arugula I've mentioned before. The mango was fine, if not great. We get mangoes pretty much year round here - different types at different times. No idea what the names are, though.

Miraculously, none of their offerings include c⊘rn!

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

2 hours ago, liuzhou said:

It is from a "Western" restaurant - the one where I get the reasonably good pizza with arugula I've mentioned before. The mango was fine, if not great. We get mangoes pretty much year round here - different types at different times. No idea what the names are, though.

Miraculously, none of their offerings include c⊘rn!

I thought of you yesterday when making the mapo tofu.  I was out of c0rnstarch and used potato starch instead...

• Haha 1

The last of the freezer lamb chops, roasted mini potatoes, coleslaw and a roasted tomato stuffed with freezer greens sauteed with the hollowed out tomato contents, mushrooms and feta.

Roasting and stuffing is a good use for bland grocery tomatoes.

DSCN1483.thumb.JPG.6c5e0d122aed007abd7f9a003b64c4e3.JPG

• Like 11
  • Delicious 2

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot

12 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@Senior Sea Kayaker 

is the greenish item on the R the  coleslaw ?

just checking.

It is indeed coleslaw. It's commercial product which I like as it's very mildly sweet yet has a nice acidity.

Edited by Senior Sea Kayaker (log)
  • Like 3

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot

Polenta, Parmesan and Pork tenderloin.

Polenta  was oven baked for about an hour, then Parmesan layered on top and removed from oven to melt gently.

Pork tenderloin was studded with garlic and rosemary and placed on a bed of rosemary, slow baked at 260 ~ until it was 135* ish.

Slivered  radicchio salad, mustard vinaigrette.

Last  of the orange almond cake , this was made with almond flour and orange juice, then “basted” with orange syrup when removed from oven.

IMG_5199.jpeg

IMG_5143.jpeg

IMG_5201.jpeg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 6

Salmon_zucchini_202312.thumb.jpg.961168e7e6e9f87a7a8f3b959e2f65a2.jpg

Zucchini and green beans with toasted garlic, finished with lime juice, Mexican oregano, and cilantro. Blender salsa with toasted morita (chipotle) chiles and roasted tomatillos and garlic, finished with a little sugar. I have been hankering for tomatillos lately and this hit the spot.

Mrs. C cooked store-made salmon patties in the air fryer, and made a quick tartar sauce with mayo, Old Bay hot sauce, and fire pickles.

• Like 14
  • Delicious 1

Beef and Broccoli from Woks of Life - velveting of beef with a mixture of baking soda, oyster sauce, cornstarch and oil. Broccoli briefly blanched before everything was stir fried with a sauce made from chicken broth, dark and light soy sauce, oyster sauce, sugar, garlic, ginger, roasted sesame oil, cornstarch and white pepper.

IMG_8643.thumb.jpeg.8124b26e0849c7f0dc589a7235c7c807.jpeg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 2

7 hours ago, OlyveOyl said:

Last  of the orange almond cake , this was made with almond flour and orange juice, then “basted” with orange syrup when removed from oven.

IMG_5201.jpeg

The cake sounds amazing.

• Like 3

PastaMeshugana

"The roar of the greasepaint, the smell of the crowd."

"What's hunger got to do with anything?" - My Father

My first Novella: The Curse of Forgetting

Tonight, a couple of beef rou jia mo. 牛肉夹馍 (niú ròu jiá mó). 

I don't mean to be immodest, but I make them better myself when I'm up to standing up long enough. Still better than nothing.

No idea who the guy on the wrapper is.

bag.thumb.jpg.a23e85c8a73f1a022786dd7ac3ae5183.jpg

jiamo.thumb.jpg.7e54ca8ed1dd758795c6cc66c1e3376d.jpg

These were the flaky bread type. Not my favourite, but the filling was nicely spicy, but needed cumin.

• Like 7

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

1 hour ago, liuzhou said:

don't mean to be immodest, but I make them better myself when I'm up to standing up long enough.

Having made these from your recipe, I can vouch for the truth of this statement. Thanks for reminding me. I'll probably have them sometime this week. And they definitely do need plenty of cumin.

• Thanks 1

Spent a few days in Winnipeg while second was working in the city. He and family moved to St John's, and he works remotely. It's great that the company will fly him back, 3 times this year for big project sessions.
Lamb is his favourite meat, but the rest of his family are not fans.  I stock-pile lamb chops when Safeway has "reduced price" stickers, sol I sous vide 20 and took them into the city (finished on top of stove before supper). We were staying with our daughter and s-i-l, so lots for everyone with a couple left over for lunch. He went home happy! We were too busy visiting and eating for pictures!

Got home just before weather turned nasty with snow, freezing rain, and icy roads. TransCanada was closed from just west of Brandon to Winnipeg by supper time!

Supper was quick: Sauteed shrimp and fried rice

ShrimpFriedRice2974.jpg.42821fdad579d287db9a3a1babf09f73.jpg

My wok needed a good scrubbing, so it was needing a re-seasoning. Fish and chips (with curry gravy) filled the bill!

FishnChips2987.jpg.82fd15a441755ef6db3d3502d72631a6.jpg

Seems we never get tired of lamb! Cut up a small boneless lamb leg and braised with Moroccan spices in the oven. Made the house cozy and fragrant!

MoroccanLambStew2995.jpg.2063ad5845a2db4be2de15bc5abe5210.jpg

Late supper last night! We had 9th birthday cake with our youngest granddaughter last night. Came home to Shake'n'Bake chicken,  delicious cabbage rolls made by a pal, and steamed green beans.

I had it all cooked before we went for dessert!

ChickenCabbagerolls3002.jpg.1eceef71d8cf5548fb51b9f13118d7b6.jpg

• Like 12
  • Delicious 6

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

A couple of dinners.

Curry chicken and rice from a few nights ago.

IMG_20231211_195923.thumb.jpg.e33af3b103d70b7eb9cc787903b773d3.jpg

And last nights lazy toasted sandwiches.

Veal schnitzel. An extra one the butcher slipped into my bag. Bacon, cheese and tomato.

IMG_20231212_192010.thumb.jpg.a87d0df7e83c6713455e32972421db44.jpg 

• Like 16
  • Delicious 4

Tomatillo_chix_202312.thumb.jpg.e1cd24c2dc50dcded6d5687120516ffb.jpg

Available-ingredients dinner: deboned semi-frozen chicken thighs, marinated with soy sauce and spices, and then seared in batches and set aside. Fried white onion, deglazed with chicken stock, and then simmered the chicken with more chicken stock, spices, and the tomatillo-chipotle sauce from a couple of days ago. Mexican oregano and cilantro to finish.

Originally intended as taco filling but it morphed into stew. :rolleyes:  Leftover sweet potatoes and microwave rice to go with.

• Like 16
  • Delicious 2