• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2023

liuzhou

After a leisurely afternoon hiking around and within the lovely city of Heidelberg …

IMG_1180.thumb.jpeg.c032140ca87ded36488dd3d03f10ed0a.jpeg

… we stopped at a nearby vineyard, got a 2L refill of our trusted plastic canister and enjoyed freshly made Zwiebelkuchen & new wine at home, chased by some caraway Schnaps to calm down our very active bellies 🤭

IMG_1184.thumb.jpeg.4fdc5f7b41832f48b0feae97376a5fd9.jpeg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 3

@DejahEvery time you mention that sauce I get hungry for it.  I haven't made it in forever.  In fact, I may have to pm you for the recipe again in case I can't find it!

It's been a whirl wind around here.  The farmers brought their cattle over to spend the winter with us grazing on the cut milo.  It has been very entertaining.  Mostly all girls but 3 bulls were added recently.  I walked through the house yesterday to look out and see a bull in the garden!  He had escaped the electric fence.  Farmers were at a lake camping so it was up to us to get him herded back in with the group.  I'm now adding cowgirl to my resume lol.

I've been using a lot of ground venison lately.  Deer season will be here before I know it.  I swear it just ended sigh.

Ham and swiss paninis

thumbnail_IMG_5195.jpg.565ebebf174ba4ca1917eebd38705394.jpg

Venison chili and cornbread on a chilly evening

thumbnail_IMG_5196.jpg.1bc83e4138ea516d1d722becf8b54ad0.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_5198.jpg.36b14d5119ec206387a798f6815cb753.jpg

Another Thai chicken thing

thumbnail_IMG_5200.jpg.29f9abe04ea3f52f4f34984227469ba6.jpg

Squeezing in more BLT's before the tomatoes are gone.  IP potato salad to go with.  

thumbnail_IMG_5208.jpg.bc597d503b579c1804a0391baa18493a.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_5209.jpg.92c564a3227df38dd070be9d1cf29900.jpg

Getting a better grip on the Breville pizza maker.  Venison cheeseburger with a salad

thumbnail_IMG_5213.jpg.18a1f549c1d53b7643c897085846675e.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_5214.jpg.b51930648cea4cc9678d86fc9517b4ca.jpg

Venison tostadas

thumbnail_IMG_5216.jpg.12661934203a73a613ab30e8688f4bd9.jpg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 5

2 hours ago, Duvel said:

… we stopped at a nearby vineyard, got a 2L refill of our trusted plastic canister and enjoyed freshly made Zwiebelkuchen & new wine at home, chased by some caraway Schnaps to calm down our very active bellies 🤭

What is the difference between zwiebelkuchen and flammkuchen?

2 hours ago, Shelby said:

Squeezing in more BLT's before the tomatoes are gone.

They're long gone here. I am continually amazed at how different our weather is from the rest of the country's.

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

8 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Lettuce, cucumber, red onion, red and yellow bell pepper and, bizarrely, mango and dragon fruit. All with a sweet and sour sauce dressing..

I had some let over rolls which I've just eaten for breakfast. These contained watermelon, too! I woud be baffled but the Chinese do put fruit with salad vegetables quite often (and cover fruit salad in mayo - and not always the sweet Kewpie variety!

_20231022070057.thumb.jpg.a4bd6c6a5678a8f9fdf62e31574f1db8.jpg

Luckily, they forgot to put any strawberries in the bánh mì!

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

11 hours ago, KennethT said:

What is the difference between zwiebelkuchen and flammkuchen?

Traditional Flammkuchen is based on a very thin dough (with our without yeast), that is topped with a light smear of crème fraiche, raw onions and bacon. It’s cooked in a very hot oven (think >250 oC) in 1-2 minutes. It often has a bit of char on the edges and the onions.

Zwiebelkuchen has often a yeasted dough, sometimes a sourdough or even a shortcrust base, thicker with high edges. Filling is slightly cooked onions with lardons, suspended in a caraway/nutmeg-scented cream & egg mixture and often topped with cheese. It is baked in a medium oven for 25-35 min, depending on thickness. It is similar to a quiche.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Although last night's dinner would not be called a low sodium meal by any stretch of the imagination,
it was substantially lower in sodium than what it would have been in the past.
GrilledEuropeanWeinerswithhomemadepotatochipsOctober21st2023.thumb.jpg.ae4d235be62e0dacf87183a4fc6c4da2.jpg
Moe had been wanting a hot dog so I decided to make him one.
I grilled a European wiener which is what we would normally have when we have hot dogs.
I'm not big on hot dogs so when we have them it has to be European wieners.
The only ones that I will eat. And they are 300mg lower in sodium than regular wieners.
I bought smaller panni buns and rather than buy sodium reduced potato chips
I made homemade potato chips in order to control the amount of salt.
He used a reduced salt mustard from Hot Mama's which is the company I ordered the salt free spice/herb rubs from.
And he had sliced onions and tomatoes on top.
I have a very happy husband who loved his dinner.
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 2

I keep telling myself that I should try some different ways to do turkey better but never get around to it and don't have the nerve to try something different on The Day.  I wondered about butterfly cooking a turkey and about cutting  the bird apart and cooking them separately.  Then I got an email from ThermoWorks on How to Cook Spatchcock Turkey.  I tried it today and it turned out very well.    I made broth with the spine and neck, used some for stuffing and the rest along with pan drippings to make gravy.  The link is on youtube 

IMG_1241.jpg

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 10
  • Delicious 4

2 hours ago, Duvel said:

What is an European wiener ? 

Not Ann but "European weiners" are the only ones that I like too. The are traditionally a spiced pork weiner with a "natutal casing" that snaps when you bite it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Duvel said:

They are longer and thiner than regular hot dog wieners and these are made from pork.   Years ago, like over 40, I use to get them from a vendor at the St. Lawrence Market in Toronto that were made from veal.  Those were the best.   These are made in BC......European Wieners - Freybe

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Ann_T said:

They are longer and thiner than regular hot dog wieners and these are made from pork.   Years ago, like over 40, I use to get them from a vendor at the St. Lawrence Market in Toronto that were made from veal.  Those were the best.   These are made in BC......European Wieners - Freybe

I'm thinking I need to try these....but I would bet I have to order online.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Duvel said:

The sausage place near me in Vancouver, years ago, told me it's more or less a (North-) Americanized debrecziner, if that helps.

• Thanks 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

On 6/11/2023 at 8:05 AM, weinoo said:

Not far from you! 12th and A - Foxface Natural.  Percebes are never cheap, but I think these are basically being priced at cost, just because.

Yikes.  I'm not a huge fan Robert Sietsema, but this is his latest review....

https://ny.eater.com/2023/10/23/23925204/foxface-natural-east-village-review

• Like 1

1997, Western Hunan, (湘西 - xiāng xī). I fell in love with this simple dish. The restaurant I usually ate it at was run by a couple, him doing the service and her doing the cooking outside the front of their small place, making everything in one wok, one serving at a time. She had a special of the day each day and I was always happy to order this one when it appeared (athough I could order it any day).

青椒肉丝 (qīng jiāo ròu sī), literally green chilli pepper shredded meat - as ever when the type of meat is not specified, it means pork. Although Hunanese in origin, it can be found pretty much all over China and is commonly cooked at home.

qingjiaoroupian.thumb.jpg.2309eb7faa49bb4884bba91199ac8fc2.jpg

• Like 8

IP Meen See ( fermented soy beans) and salted plums pork ribs. Sauteed baby gai lan with ginger.

RibsinBrnBeanSauce2463.jpg.94efba765574b26fa5a71f29466b1320.jpg

GaiLan2460.jpg.30dab63780fde6b6b67e9bbe3d4a3603.jpg

A friend gave us seasoned salmon fillets that they won at a party. They don't like fish so they were dropped off at our house. Not a salmon fan as I never seem to cook it right!
I pan-seared the fillets, added air-fryer sweet potato, and steamed peas. Happy it was only 1 fillet!

Salmon2475.jpg.df02a563ed29dd52981677e17bcf51dd.jpg

Edited by Dejah (log)
  • Like 16
  • Delicious 2

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

生炒辣子鸡 (shēng chǎo là zi jī), stir fried spicy chicken
葱油银针菇 (cōng yóu yín zhēn gū), scallion oil fried silver needle mushrooms (enoki)

炒豆腐干 (chǎo dòu fu gān), stir fried dry tofu
炒白菜 (chǎo bái cài), stir-fried cabbage

米饭 (mǐ fàn), rice

dinner.thumb.jpg.14c34816e996aa6eadacb6e8a51a5888.jpg

• Like 10
  • Delicious 1