• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2023

liuzhou

44 minutes ago, gfweb said:

salmon with cheese and fishy bechamel

this was good?

Not like melted cheese. His description is sea - like and bechamel/ mornay sauce classic with sea critters

1 hour ago, gfweb said:

salmon with cheese and fishy bechamel

this was good?

Why should there be cheese ? 

It is individually blanched cubes of salmon, broccoli florets and edamame. Placed in a buttered form and topped with said bechamel (butter, flour, milk infused with a dashi sachet and smoked mackerel bits), then broiled. Yeap - it was very good.

Edited by Duvel (log)
  • Like 4

i continue to work on my TSP ( turkey shepherd's pie )

for a recent version I added a bit more mayo to the standard potato-egg mixture

that goes on top of the ground turkey slab .  the result was a very creamy 

and very delicious potato topping.

as im trying to loose a little weight , not much , I thought i might move away from the

very delicious potato topping .  I know .  not such a good idea .  Id be happy eating /2 as ,much

but then the 8 x 8 would have to be in the refrigerator longer .

Campbells now has soups w no added salt , such sa cream of mushroom. 

I have an accent history w these soups .  many of us do .  back in the day

a can of a cream soup . with some wine , over split chicken breasts .  baked 

was a fine meal.    as commercial levels of NaCL might be a problem some day 

I went w the no salt soup :  using it as a different direction :

IMG_2920.thumb.jpg.8105ae5a434d724e3dfd141a2d17d34a.jpg

the wine is TJ's costal zin , and I had the 4 eggs already cooked .

I reduced 3/4's of the bottle , w dried thyme//rosemary// garlic to almost syrup like consistency

added the can of CofM  .  mixed it up .  I didn't take a pic of this , as it looked like a dark berry pudding

w white bits ( from the finely chopped eggs ) that looked a bit ' metastatic '  it tasted fine. 

te CoM soup was creamy . lightly mushroom-ey and the bits were indeed mushrooms.

I did a 10 minute bake w the turkey slab and dried herbs .  my thinking was it would look the dried herbs.

no evidence ' on the plate ' this matters , but I do it.  I enjoy the aroma in the kitchem

here is the 8 x 8 cooked :

IMG_2923.thumb.jpg.bc9791da047c65d5c115d333c6fbee9e.jpg

a picture of metastatic malignancy for sure .   I did 25 min after the initial time

and unfortunately , the turkey slab temp came out 165 F or more.   i knew the meat was going to be tough.

125 - 130 f is ideal , ending up 135 F or so after resting .  tender , juicy , fantastic 

I let the ' dish [ sic ] ' cool , and refrigerate overnight  .  perhaps this improves the flavor ?

no idea .  it's just what I do.   it is easier to cut cold the next day .  6 ' generous ' portions :

IMG_2927.thumb.jpg.c969dfc5f8e25c8c9d291bd825e549f7.jpg

still looking a bit metastatic .

the final plating :

IMG_2930.thumb.jpg.fcfbb5484a7d8ff8db2bb2a61dadc8e0.jpg

iPot'd generic mixed veg , a standard here .  window green onions as a garnish w EVOO after a trip through the Micro.  

enough EVOO so I can taste the EVOO .  life is short.

I thought the sauce would be gloppy , as it was thick , and it possibly had too much reduced wine.

wrong on those counts ,  it was delicious , if on the tart side  .  I like tart.

once I time the cooking of the turkey slab so it comes out at a lower temp  

its go0ing to be outstanding .   and the slab ended up not being as though as i thought .

did I miss the potatoes ?  sure .  but not really that much w the sine-ey creamy sauce as a sub.

this is not a diet dish , and eating this over 4 - 5 more days would work well 

but Im guessing 6 + 1  days in the refrigerator is a limit worth observing.

Ill be making this many more times , for sure.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Duvel said:

Why should there be cheese ? 

It is individually blanched cubes of salmon, broccoli florets and edamame. Placed in a buttered form and topped with said bechamel (butter, flour, milk infused with a dashi sachet and smoked mackerel bits), then broiled. Yeap - it was very good.

looked like cheese

sorry I doubted you 😦

but it looked like cheese

• Haha 2

@rotuts: I had to read thru' your TSP several time - SO entertaining. I bet the whole dish got better with each meal.

All the soups and chowders sound perfect for our fall weather.

Used up the big piece of rib bone from the roasted saddle of lamb to make Scotch Broth. It was pretty thick with barley, turnip etc. and needed a good covering of freshly ground pepper. We had that for supper last night 

ScotchBroth2430.jpg.fadcc792dc8ba2d0c02cc9b1ff1ff0ce.jpg

Picked up a small piece of corned beef at Safeway last week and finally cooked it for supper. Used the "slow cooker" function on the Ninja Foodie, and set it on high for 8 hours. Didn't have green cabbage but had red and Napa. They worked fine. Cooked them with chunks of potato with "pressure cooker" function after I took the meat out. That was the best corned beef I have ever achieved - tender and juicy. Ate it with some of the mustard I made for TG, using @Shelby's recipe. It's amazing!

CornedBeef2437.jpg.8ed83456317813ae6411c510f7f37d07.jpg

• Like 10
  • Delicious 3

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

16 hours ago, rotuts said:

here is the 8 x 8 cooked :

IMG_2923.thumb.jpg.bc9791da047c65d5c115d333c6fbee9e.jpg

My shepard's pies usually not meatloaf-y, but more of a thick minced meat stew (inclusing all veggies), topped with those mashed potatoes. Is this a particular style or family recipe ?

• Like 1

@Duvel 

no.

its a recent project using readily available items , that require little fuss 

yet w easy options to vary the flavor of the final dish .

and available for several days forward w refrigeration and even less work.

yet very tasty each time served.

• Thanks 1

I cooked steak outside today.  Luckily it  turned out to be a really nice day to be outside.  I didn't know or didn't pay attention if Charlie told me before but when I put these on the table he said scalloped potatoes were his favorite and this recipe was the best one yet.  I cut the recipe down and only used one potato so we  wouldn't have leftovers. PS I just edited the blog to explain how I changed the potatoes recipe to make it in a smaller amount.

IMG_1234.jpg

IMG_1235.jpg

IMG_1236.jpg

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 13
  • Delicious 6

Shrimp_spinach_202310.thumb.jpg.d7daa2d1f27a17a3da8065ff842cd756.jpg

Shrimp, sausage, and spinach in a tomato-cream sauce, with onion, garlic, ginger, chiles, curry leaves, cumin, cayenne, cilantro, lime juice, and garam masala.

Turmeric rice with peas, seasoned with garlic, ginger, cinnamon stick, cloves, black coriander, bay leaf, and chives.

I was out of garam masala so I made a batch with cardamom seed, cinnamon stick, cloves, nutmeg, black cumin (kala jeera), and black peppercorns. Different than store-bought but very aromatic.

• Like 13
  • Delicious 2

GreenPeppercornSteakOctober20th2023.thumb.jpg.c162482b71d87fb4e2b9e4e3380511d4.jpg
Been craving a Green peppercorn steak, so that is what I made for dinner tonight.
Got the potato wedges in the oven shortly after getting home from work. The potatoes were seasoned with no salt Steak rub from Hot Mamas.
Next I reconstituted the dried green peppercorns in salt free beef broth. Seasoned the steak with black pepper and just a tiny bit of Himalayan sea salt.
When the potatoes were almost done, I seared the steaks in a little olive oil and butter. Removed from the pan and set a side to make the sauce. Added a minced shallot to the pan and sautéed for a minute or two and then added a minced garlic clove.
Added the beef broth with the green peppercorns and simmered to reduce.
While the sauce was reducing cooked the broccoli.
Added a pinch of salt to the sauce along with heavy cream and simmered until the sauce thickened. Finished the sauce with a little Armagnac.
GreenPeppercornSteakOctober20th20231.thumb.jpg.6520c38a46a6ddb93c6e270863089445.jpg
This dinner took less than an hour to make.
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 2
  • Delicious 8

2 hours ago, KennethT said:

What was the filling in the spring rolls - it looks like various fruit.

Lettuce, cucumber, red onion, red and yellow bell pepper and, bizarrely, mango and dragon fruit. All with a sweet and sour sauce dressing..

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

17 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Lettuce, cucumber, red onion, red and yellow bell pepper and, bizarrely, mango and dragon fruit. All with a sweet and sour sauce dressing..

I thought I saw mango and dragon fruit.  Weird.

• Like 1

After sending all the TG baked ham home with the kids, I really wanted ham! Picked up one at Safeway as we were to have a visitor mid-week. Visit got postponed, so I cooked the ham yesterday with scalloped taters. Sent slices to grandson, and we had some for supper with beets cooked in IP. Made more of @Shelby mustard sauce as grandson loves it too!
Got smarter and saved a well=wrapped chunk in the freezer for another craving! LOL! This is the second meal with cured meat, so must get back to simpler protein.

BakedHamScallopedtaters2439.jpg.99433e026c990f07792a4ecb587554d2.jpg

• Like 14
  • Delicious 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com