• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2023

liuzhou

10 hours ago, OlyveOyl said:

The recipe was adapted from a Donna Hay “ Pear and Almond Tart “, I used white rather than brown sugar.  It’s predominately almond flour with a very small amount of AP, I’ve also made it with just the almond flour.  I made it with plums as well yesterday , a family fave.

That information makes it even more appealing as my daughter and her finacé try to avoid gluten.

• Like 1

China likes slivers, (sī), or julienned strips for dinner. The Chinese word is used to describe any threadlike thing and is the origin of the English 'silk'.

So tonight a trio of slivers over rice slithered its way to me. On the left, we have 香辣鱿鱼丝 (xiāng là yóu yú sī), spicy squid slivers, centre is 清炒土豆丝 (qīng chǎo tǔ dòu sī ) stir-fried potato slivers and right, 美极杏鲍菇 (měi jí xìng bào gū), king oyster mushrooms (eryngii).

slivers.thumb.jpg.cc8479543e88578020fcffce451699bf.jpg

I'm struggling to remember ever seeing this cutting technique used in any Chinese restaurant in Europe.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 5

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Had simmered a chicken with ginger for broth to sustain hubby for an early morning outpatient's procedure.
Using up the leftover chicken (after a couple of sandwiches) for supper last night:
Skillet Chicken Pot Pie with Parmesan Biscuits.

SkilletPotPie2011.jpg.75ed3eaf73080080975809ed8e215a5a.jpgSkilletPotPie1829.jpg.12590bfd6484fb20d2adb1c9e44cd737.jpg

And made my first galette with fresh peaches. I love pastry but hubby likes minimal, so this worked well for him. We enjoyed some with ice cream then sent most to our dear neighbors with 3 teenage boys who do a lot of chores for us!

PeachGalette1991.jpg.a4505e196ea12deffc98b692d2008ceb.jpg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 2

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

8 hours ago, liuzhou said:

China likes slivers, (sī), or julienned strips for dinner. The Chinese word is used to describe any threadlike thing and is the origin of the English 'silk'.

So tonight a trio of slivers over rice slithered its way to me. On the left, we have 香辣鱿鱼丝 (xiāng là yóu yú sī), spicy squid slivers, centre is 清炒土豆丝 (qīng chǎo tǔ dòu sī ) stir-fried potato slivers and right, 美极杏鲍菇 (měi jí xìng bào gū), king oyster mushrooms (eryngii).

slivers.thumb.jpg.cc8479543e88578020fcffce451699bf.jpg

I'm struggling to remember ever seeing this cutting technique used in any Chinese restaurant in Europe.

I agree with "China." I like slivers of food.

2 hours ago, Dejah said:

Had simmered a chicken with ginger for broth to sustain hubby for an early morning outpatient's procedure.
Using up the leftover chicken (after a couple of sandwiches) for supper last night:
Skillet Chicken Pot Pie with Parmesan Biscuits.

SkilletPotPie2011.jpg.75ed3eaf73080080975809ed8e215a5a.jpgSkilletPotPie1829.jpg.12590bfd6484fb20d2adb1c9e44cd737.jpg

And made my first galette with fresh peaches. I love pastry but hubby likes minimal, so this worked well for him. We enjoyed some with ice cream then sent most to our dear neighbors with 3 teenage boys who do a lot of chores for us!

PeachGalette1991.jpg.a4505e196ea12deffc98b692d2008ceb.jpg

How gorgeous is that? Well done!

• Thanks 1

I'm getting tired of delivery dinners. Although they have been good almost without exception, I miss cooking and being able to make what I want rather then what a restaurant wants to sell, no matter how good. It's been almost a year.

So, today I clicked through the app in a desultory manner and hit upon a place I've tried before. I noticed they were offering a beef, pork and chicken burrito. The concept of a three meat burrito intrigued me. That said, I know nothing about Mexican food so maybe they're as common as fish and chips or pizza. No doubt, someone will tell me.

Here it is.

_20230903184236.jpg.54ee064840dbb172274a8ccb0750eb26.jpg

_20230903184251.thumb.jpg.cdf2335152816ce6abf0e9770cf36484.jpg

Actually, rather good. Spicy and lots of salady vegetables to accompany the meats. There was a second one, but the first filled me up. I'll have the second maybe for supper; maybe for breakfast tomorrow.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 7

4 hours ago, liuzhou said:

I noticed they were offering a beef, pork and chicken burrito.

Is that deep-fried? That would make it closer to a what is called a chimichanga (at least in Arizona) than a regular burrito/burro. I've never seen three (or even two) meats combined. Often the cooking style of the meat is defining - carne seca or carne asada, for example. it's not just meat wrapped in a tortilla - how the meat is prepared, what is added to it before wrapping and what sides/sauces are served alongside are all important elements. 

Edited to add: Here's a video on El Charro Cafe in Tucson where they claim to have invented the chimichanga. 🙂

They make carne seca by drying the beef in the sun.  

Edited by FauxPas (log)
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, FauxPas said:

Is that deep-fried?

No. It's simply a wrap with some salad and stir-fried meats. The restaurant calls it a burrito, but I'd bet a lot on no-one in the place ever having seen a burrito in the flesh. Maybe saw a picture. But then, I've never seen one either.

Whatever it was, it was good though. In fact the second one has gone!

Just another example of non-Chinese food in China, but happily edible for a change.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, liuzhou said:

No. It's simply a wrap with some salad and stir-fried meats. The restaurant calls it a burrito, but I'd bet a lot on no-one in the place ever having seen a burrito in the flesh. Maybe saw a picture. But then, I've never seen one either.

Whatever it was, it was good though. In fact the second one has gone!

Just another example of non-Chinese food in China, but happily edible for a change.

The vegetables look so organized in there! 

• Like 2

虾头油海鲜炒饭 (xiā tóu yóu hǎi xiān chǎo fàn) Shrimp head oil seafood fried rice. With a salad in a spicy dressing and two daikon radish cakes.

The rice was exceptional.

dinner.thumb.jpg.f56ca3551cbbeb3de88f959669b7363f.jpg

Edited by liuzhou
typo in the Chinese. (log)
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, liuzhou said:

下头油海鲜炒饭 (xià tóu yóu hǎi xiān chǎo fàn) Shrimp head oil seafood fried rice. With a salad in a spicy dressing and two daikon radish cakes.

The rice was exceptional.

dinner.thumb.jpg.f56ca3551cbbeb3de88f959669b7363f.jpg

I love shrimp head oil.  My belacan vegetable from last night was fried in it!

• Like 1

@DuvelPut tempura on the list for when I get there 😁

Nothing very fancy at all lately around here......

Made a pot of sauce to use some tomatoes going south and some squash.  Hopefully I can make more for the freezer for this winter.

thumbnail_IMG_4942-1.jpg.513020f0cbc8277755db0300bcc4f043.jpg

Usual galette for dessert--I think this one was strawberry and blackberry

thumbnail_IMG_4941.jpg.b2a21f81230d859a882753e4cd221f99.jpg

Hot wings with Vivian Howard's okra/zucchini/corn fritters

thumbnail_IMG_4949.jpg.0c1ac4792a8f8bb45ac0561d2a4b652b.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_4951.jpg.d3a03eeb5b741d26c393974db3b3ea33.jpg

Walleye, broccoli salad, pasta and the never-ending squash

thumbnail_IMG_4954.jpg.735c7d627afde7cb93e454f101caa6f4.jpg

Quail with rice pilaf and stuffed mushrooms

thumbnail_IMG_4958.jpg.cbfd36dfc286e20bbce0b17beb60d130.jpg

Got a Breville Piazzaiolo indoor oven so had to test it out.  Definitely a learning curve for me.  Need way more practice.

thumbnail_IMG_4963.jpg.3f11e371e17f2aea5f1c2d4435c2d9ba.jpg

Last night was fried chicken, squash casserole and @Mmmpompsroasted potatoes

thumbnail_IMG_4966.jpg.cff8f8f8db3fd876596dc10896c9a7f7.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_4964.jpg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 5

What a variety of meals, @Shelby! Must have been seeing your galette that got me to try my hand at one.
We loved the pastry, but the bottom was hard and crispy. Maybe I rolled the pastry too aggressively?
Last night, made a big pot of black bean garlic pork ribs in the IP, in anticipation of second son's arrival from St. John's, Nfld via a week with our daughter in Winnipeg. Want to make all his favourite meals to make sure he keeps "coming home". Great that the company he works remote for flies him in for retreats, etc.

BlkBeanGarlicribs2032.jpg.9d3a84cd75371ba5bdb08762b6739b28.jpg

We had ice cream with my conserve - a new combination for him, and I guess, for us too! We've always had it with toast, bagels, and by spoonfuls out of the jar. LOL!
Looks like we may be going thru' a pint quicker than usual!

• Like 10
  • Delicious 2

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

3 hours ago, KennethT said:

I love shrimp head oil.  My belacan vegetable from last night was fried in it!

Do you make your own shrimp head oil or is that something you can easily buy in NYC? I've never seen it here but have made it.

2 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Do you make your own shrimp head oil or is that something you can easily buy in NYC? I've never seen it here but have made it.

I made it - it was a byproduct frying shrimp heads to crispiness before going into an Indonesian sambal.  I strain and refrigerate the oil.  I've never seen it in a store - in fact, the only time I think I've ever seen it at all was as a menu option for pad thai in Bangkok.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, KennethT said:

I made it - it was a byproduct frying shrimp heads to crispiness before going into an Indonesian sambal.  I strain and refrigerate the oil.  I've never seen it in a store - in fact, the only time I think I've ever seen it at all was as a menu option for pad thai in Bangkok.

Pretty much what I do. I just wondered because I've seen it being sold on Amazon US. I can source here, too but it's usually imported from Thailand. I can only see one brand on Taobao, China's main shopping portal. Expensive.

I doubt I'd ever buy a commercial version, though. So easy to make, cheaper and fresher.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1