• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2023

liuzhou

1 hour ago, mgaretz said:

Two mini pizzas, both the same, with spinach and pineapple-bacon sausage.

pizza-mini.jpg.12ed342ac40168341257ee384a66e47f.jpg

You sure did a good job hiding that spinach … is that a commercial product ?!

Busy week at work, so only augmented commercial meals …

Sushi (including rolls with the „kewpie broil“ method), gyoza and wiener octopusæ …

IMG_0221.thumb.jpeg.5ddec73f028770c68ef9ddf7a1c00787.jpeg

Close up on the latter - little one inhales those …

IMG_0222.thumb.jpeg.caa7b0ccfec1fb77374d37a17725e82b.jpeg

No complaints 🤭

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Duvel said:

wiener octopusæ …

I didn't realize that octopus lived in Vienna... ;)

Seriously, I saw something similar to this in Indonesia, but the sausages were made from chicken and they were octopused on both ends.  it was the first time I'd ever seen anything like it.

15 minutes ago, KennethT said:

Seriously, I saw something similar to this in Indonesia, but the sausages were made from chicken and they were octopused on both ends.  it was the first time I'd ever seen anything like it.

A classic kid's bento box item!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

I kind of miss your Talavera plates and tiles.

Thanks!  I do too.  You will see again, we will be back in Mexico in less than 2 weeks.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KennethT said:

Here, they take those spam-like pink sausages we've discussed before and octopuserate them before deep frying and serving them slathered in hot sauce.

P.S. I ate real octopus in Vienna many years ago.

• Sad 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

3 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Here, they take those spam-like pink sausages we've discussed before and octopuserate them before deep frying and serving them slathered in hot sauce.

Well, it certainly can't make them any worse!  That actually makes them seem almost edible.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Two jars and a can.  Pinhais sardines, Matiz Basque piparra peppers, Castelvetrano olives.

Those piparra peppers are singularly dellicious. One jar doesn't last long chez moi.

Turkey tonnato and also a pork tenderloin version which we prefer.

Potato salad vinaigrette, some marinated red onion, chopped HBE, parsley, and some oil cured black olives as well.

Chocolate soufflé cake with crème fraîche.

IMG_4171.jpeg

IMG_4165.jpeg

IMG_2689.png

Edited by OlyveOyl (log)
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1
  • Confused 1

请教紫苏跳跳蛙 (qǐng jiào zǐ sū tiào tiào wā); green chilli, perilla (shiso) jumping frog. With onion, scallion, garlic, lotus root. Rice.

frogdinner.thumb.jpg.65b6001db06dc00aef06f28cb7e2ff05.jpg

frog.thumb.jpg.d0deb6e0cb7a33bc73cd15a9434a1210.jpg

When you place your order you have to check a box to indicate if you want the utenil pack or not. You get one no matter what you select! It contains disposable chopsticks, a small spoon, a paper napkin and a toothpick. They're big on toothpicks round here.

chopsticks.thumb.jpg.324b425b5db07ffee25f34255e54b9c8.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 5

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

5 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

When you place your order you have to check a box to indicate if you want the utenil pack or not. You get one no matter what you select! It contains disposable chopsticks, a small spoon, a paper napkin and a toothpick. They're big on toothpicks round here.

We have the same thing (minus the toothpick).  You get the utensils whether you want them or not.  My wife says that one of the reasons she loves going to Asia is that you can pick your teeth at the table and not offend anyone...

• Haha 1

IMG_9882.thumb.jpeg.cfbc7bb1ec01161aa7171ad134b754b1.jpeg

Pan-fried steak, with a sauce made from drippings, stock, horseradish, mustard and butter.  Well-braised haricots verts; braised in butter, olive oil, stock, garlic, shallots. The steak is described thusly, to the skeptic in me:

100% Grass-Fed Local Edge of Eye Steak  This extremely tender (and little-known) steak is named for its source — the area between the chuck and the ribs, called the eye.

East meets West dessert:

IMG_9888.thumb.jpeg.2a00e4c74eb2e926f3cc35b95fb2ebe6.jpeg

Jersey peaches and blueberries.  Washington Ranier cherries. California (decent) strawberries (the fancier ones, but still commercial).

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 2
  • Delicious 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?