• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2023

liuzhou

My extended family is from Jalisco Mexico .  so Rosario  simmers the pork loin bay, onion salt.  shreds,  adds chili of guajillo and ancho sauce,  bay onion, garlic, ginger grass

black beans cook with manteca

home made queso fesco

picante of jalapeno

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Its good to have Morels

6 minutes ago, Paul Bacino said:

My extended family is from Jalisco Mexico .  so Rosario  simmers the pork loin bay, onion salt.  shreds,  adds chili of guajillo and ancho sauce,  bay onion, garlic, ginger grass

black beans cook with manteca

home made queso fesco

picante of jalapeno

I was just going to ask what that long grass looking stuff is.  Sounds good!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, C. sapidus said:

Mrs. C made broccoli with lime and delicious watermelon radish with ghee in the air fryer.

I like broccoli when it gets a little crisped up like that!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

2 hours ago, weinoo said:

I like broccoli when it gets a little crisped up like that!

Broccoli was meant to be roasted and charred a little (after blanching of course)!

• Like 2

Rutabaga soup (made with rutabaga, small amount of potatoes, shallots, ginger cooked in chicken broth and heavy cream and puréed) with smoked ham (the planned smoked duck breast was unfortunately unavailable), sautéed small rutabaga pieces, parsley, lemon juice and zest and some olive oil

IMG_7474.thumb.jpeg.a2fc49ea55318f701aeb41a94e056770.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 4

Soppressata and mortadella sandwich with arugula, red onion, banana peppers, and cream cheese/olive spread on toasted roll with tater tots and sliced pears on the side.

IMG_20230508_191744703.jpg

• Like 10

ItalianSausagewithcriminimushroomsMay9th20231.thumb.jpg.497bfe00c9b203f3cd34996098a95ac1.jpg

Decided to make pizza tonight. So I started the dough around 7:00 AM this morning.
Normally I like to give the dough at least 10 to 12 hours at room temperature for a same day dough, but had to settle for 8 hours.
And rather than bake in the Ooni, I decided to use Jim Lahey's method of baking in the oven, using the broiler.
The stone is placed on one of the top racks just 4 or 5 inches from the broiler.
Preheated at 550°F for at least 30 minutes.
Then the broiler is turned on and the stone gets blasted for about 10 minutes before launching the pizza and baking it under the broiler.
Turning a few times to make sure it doesn't burn. Charring is good.
ItalianSausagewithcriminimushroomsMay9th20232.thumb.jpg.3ded15a653fba04916c2c283d31b4b53.jpg
Pizza was topped with Italian sausage and cremini mushrooms and only took about five minutes to cook.
ItalianSausagewithcriminimushroomsMay9th20233.thumb.jpg.5bae396ddee68d7bf492fe9a71bf3d0d.jpg
Crumb was pretty good for a same day dough.
  • Like 16
  • Delicious 5

Matsutake Soup (in chicken stock made using chicken feet)

matsutakesoup2.thumb.jpg.7e5a8bb4487f6000ea2877bb8c1ecefe.jpg

Pork with jalapeños and black bolete mushroom, Chinese celery, scallions (green part only), Shaoxing wine, soy sauce. Cat's tooth rice.

PorkwithJalapeosandBlackBoletes1024.thumb.jpg.60d7f9a494d48a4812c5c9254635bc66.jpg

PorkwithJalapeos1024.thumb.jpg.9d70a623c957579fc450e2483006a6ef.jpg

Based on a common  Chinese dish, 青椒肉片 (qīng jiāo ròu piàn), green pepper pork slices  but using jalapeños instead of a Chinese variety. Also the 'shrooms' are atypical.

• Like 12

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Cauliflower_soup_chix_202305-2.thumb.jpg.47d2a4f95f27d1a184e34cd368c0c6f1.jpg

Gingery cauliflower and potato soup with browned onion, ginger, and garlic, spiced with cumin, coriander, cayenne, and turmeric. Blended in the Preethi and topped with crushed pistachios.

Cauliflower_soup_chix_202305.thumb.jpg.f5e33e090d424ea1a7a32482b74b6202.jpg

Chicken thigh chunks marinated and twice-cooked with black pepper, turmeric, cayenne, cumin, thyme, garlic powder, and paprika. Note: that is a teacup-sized plate, not freakishly huge chunks of chicken  😉

Cauliflower_soup_chix_202305-3.thumb.jpg.c08fc4864e788becaebc728f9f9401c7.jpg

Store-bought rosemary bread, excellent for dipping in the soup.

• Like 12
  • Delicious 3

1 hour ago, gfweb said:

Steam oven Wild Fork salmon, cranberry risotto(carnaroli), salad.

20230507_183107.thumb.jpg.3d2964254598085a79c02e08351ec86f.jpg

What did you think of the WF salmon? I ordered it once but never again. I was annoyed that they didn't descale the skin on fillet pieces. And did not do a good job removing the pin bones either.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KennethT said:

What did you think of the WF salmon? I ordered it once but never again. I was annoyed that they didn't descale the skin on fillet pieces. And did not do a good job removing the pin bones either.

That would annoy me. I've had several orders, always without skin, so I can't address that. 

Never any bones. Really no complaints. Its not sushi grade salmon but better than supermarket by an order of magnitude. 

I'm happy with their cod, halibut, scallops.  Tuna was ok not great.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3