• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch 2023

liuzhou

53 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

They really weren't bad. Just not the chunky chips that I was hoping for.  And if the batter isn't rocket science, proper chips certainly aren't. It's really just a matter of cutting them right.  And double frying is a nice extra, though not absolutely necessary.  

I always double fry at minimum. Even better is Blumenthal's triple cook method, but time consuming. For me, more important than the cutting, is the choice of potato.

• Like 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Had a leftover rare tenderloin and one of Ann_T's recipe baguettes in my freezer so made a quick steak sandwich for lunch.

36z4K3f.jpg

Amusingly we didn't have horseradish so I made a quick garlic, wasabi mayo and I didn't have any beef stock or jus so a chicken bouillon, worchestershire, dark soy broth for quickly dipping the meat to season and heat it up.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

Went down to Chinatown to pick up some pantry items and stopped at Tasty Hand Pulled Noodle....

PXL_20230902_162601758.PORTRAIT.thumb.jpg.e3d5353be9ba5fd3ae56ee244e301734.jpg

Pork dumpling soup with fat noodles (hiding). As usual the broth is practically unseasoned but remedied by copious soy sauce, some chilli oil and a splash of black vinegar.

PXL_20230902_163230507.PORTRAIT.thumb.jpg.2cff45ed4d5451c501158e8617b93fe1.jpg

Stir fried knife peeled noodles with chicken.

• Like 9
  • Delicious 1

On 9/1/2023 at 1:29 PM, Deephaven said:

Had a leftover rare tenderloin and one of Ann_T's recipe baguettes in my freezer so made a quick steak sandwich for lunch.

36z4K3f.jpg

Amusingly we didn't have horseradish so I made a quick garlic, wasabi mayo and I didn't have any beef stock or jus so a chicken bouillon, worchestershire, dark soy broth for quickly dipping the meat to season and heat it up.

Looks fabulous and regarding your dipping sauce - as they say necessity is the mother of invention.

• Like 1

Always notice how people shop in certain places, in this case it's one of my regular Turkish grocers. Many Turkish shoppers picked out the best ones, and I followed. Turns out these figs are sweet, even though they are a bit pale inside. I said to the owner's daughter that one day I would go to Bursa in September just to eat figs. She went "oh wow, really? You know about Bursa figs?!". (FYI, Bursa, about 1 and 1/2 hours from Istanbul, is a big black fig producer. The town produces figs for about 75% of Turkey, and also exports to quite a few countries.)
k0BgkBU.jpg

And this is Bursa black figs I buy by the tray (?) every week when in season. Bursian government announced last week the fig season officially started and exports would begin the following day. They are probably in the lorries on the way here!
pwlHjJE.jpg

---------

Scrambled eggs, North Sea shrimp (Crangon crangon) and Roma tomatoes.
zKnwLHL.jpg

Shrimp shell broth, pumpernickel and butter lettuce.
CfW9CGV.jpg

-------
"Cold water prawns". Probably Pandalus borealis.
mk3ZLJE.jpg

Razor clams.
OhLmnpe.jpg

1FwgELb.jpg

Pumpernickel (German) and horseradish from Styria, Austria. Made a spread with grated horseradish and crème fraîche. The reddish version has beetroot added to it.
lmne3bV.jpg

• Like 9
  • Delicious 4

@Tropicalsenior – those buns look amazing.  I’ve copied the recipe.  I don’t know if I’ll ever get around to actually making them, but thank you for the link!

We actually had our Labor Day meal on Sunday.  We went to our friends’ home for a potluck.  Our Labor Day lunch was mostly leftovers:

IMG_4257.thumb.jpg.b82b7aa624dc434563bb7675928adee3.jpg

A hot dog with mustard and my slaw and Jessica’s deviled eggs.  I also made baked beans:

IMG_4258.jpg.dc4319af848eb2bee7a4fd26ede467d2.jpg

These did get a bit overcooked, but still tasted wonderful. 

• Like 7

@C. sapidusthe tacos look fantastic.

I recently watched on a cooking show where the chef made a taco by  first spreading some fairy mushed refried beans on a flour tortilla but not all the way to the edges.  Then he layered a hard shell taco on top and dressed it well with shredded greens, creama and cheese.  To eat he just wrapped the flour tortilla around the hard shell.  Lots of nice crunch and relatively easy to eat.  I am assembling the ingredients for tomorrow’s first try at making them.

Edited by Okanagancook (log)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Summer decides to come back, who am I to say no?! It's very hot, though, but I'm not going to whinge.
(Several meals in this post.)

Matjes with pickled beetroot and quark.
yGCImRt.jpg

Lithuanian black bread and the rest of the spread.
RU3JQan.jpg

Smoked mackerel, boiled small waxy potatoes and salad (buffalo mozz).
jRkWlVB.jpg

Cold beetroot pasta
QaqRkQD.jpg

Broke the burrata when I tipped it over.
wNb4rlj.jpg

Some snacks. Peanut flips from Polish supermarket. "Mexican style" here means a bit spicy.
e1gmsRE.jpg

Oktoberfest is coming... (next weekend)
flkT6r4.jpg

• Like 10
  • Delicious 3

New England Gumbo?

Bought fresh-picked okra from an African lady at the market and threw together this "gumbo" with linguiça, leftover grilled chicken thigh piri piri, some local bell peppers, onion, a can or so of fire-roasted diced tomatoes, and Lobster!  Also dried thyme, bay leaves, File powder,  Worcestershire and chipotle tabasco, chicken stock and some sugar. What I did not do is spend a half-hour cooking roux, but I'm definitely doing this again...

IMG_20230911_135427214~2.jpg

Edited by johnnyd (log)
  • Like 9
  • Delicious 4

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

Eric Kim's Rosé Shrimp from NYT Cooking. The shrimp come out really nice and shrimpy and the orange zest and piment d’Espelette work really well together.

7C2B769A-B696-4216-9352-DB152E87DA8D_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.445dd41475fcc4ba2085d0547db92d3f.jpeg

Next time, I'll have this with crusty bread to sop up the sauce instead of diluting it with the pasta. 

• Like 9
  • Delicious 4

9 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Eric Kim's Rosé Shrimp from NYT Cooking. The shrimp come out really nice and shrimpy and the orange zest and piment d’Espelette work really well together.

Next time, I'll have this with crusty bread to sop up the sauce instead of diluting it with the pasta. 

I'm on your page with the bread sop.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

7C2B769A-B696-4216-9352-DB152E87DA8D_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.445dd41475fcc4ba2085d0547db92d3f.jpeg

Have you found a source for non-horrendously expensive piment d'espelette?  Years ago, on a trip to Bordeaux, I bought a string of whole piments but they got lost in a move a few years ago...  now, every time I see the pre-powdered form, it's a fortune!

2 minutes ago, KennethT said:

Have you found a source for non-horrendously expensive piment d'espelette?  Years ago, on a trip to Bordeaux, I bought a string of whole piments but they got lost in a move a few years ago...  now, every time I see the pre-powdered form, it's a fortune!

I'm afraid I'm no help.  There's a local farm that grows the peppers and sells a small quantity but I've never managed to get any from them. This would probably be a good time for me to ask again. Boonville Barn also sells their own California-grown stuff. I ended up getting a little 15g jar at a local gourmet/import shop.  It seemed reasonable, compared with airfare to the south of France, but I do tend to hoard it!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Last Sunday we had a potluck at church.  I made macaroni and cheese (no picture) and this strawberry-banana bread (cake, really) to take:

IMG_4301.jpg.f091167df8600111e808b29ffa0c70aa.jpg

These are just a cake mix fix up, but very good.  Everyone always loves them and asks for the recipe.  And then I have to admit that it is a strawberry cake mix with mashed bananas added! 

Today:

IMG_4326.jpg.7d393324d4d41f5a5b7cb12fe21bf60f.jpg

Saltines and boneless, skinless sardines. 

• Like 5
  • Delicious 2

It's time for Oktoberfest, but on a much smaller scale than Duvel's. Don't want to eat only "Oktoberfest food" every day for the next 2 weeks so there will be my normal food in between, too.

Fried sliced bread dumpling with eggs. One of the ways Bavarians use up leftover dumplings.
u1zCXFg.jpg

Peeling off the casing
Kv5W1ZK.jpg

Raw red cabbage with cream. Sweet mustard for someone else and coarsely grated horseradish in cream for myself as I can't abide sweet mustard (I know it's "traditional").
CRTe28y.jpg

Much better lighting when I ate this lunch, it was a warm and sunny day.

Fried Leberkäse
SyqcNP6.jpg

Matjes, masago (capelin roe) and apple mixed with quark.
Qm6RIgS.jpg

Liver dumpling in broth
auLOi2a.jpg

Potato salad. I cooked the potatoes together with a bunch of lovage stalks and then steeped them in a vegetable broth that's been boiled with lovage stalks in it so yeah, it's very lovage/Maggi intense in flavour. (Again, not very "traditional" kind of potato salad.)
R9BXxOs.jpg

My last chunk of heavy Lithuanian black bread. (There's a small loaf of another type of Lithuanian black bread still in the freezer then it's really finished.)
CQYSKA0.jpg

Oktoberfest in my private Biergarten.
iCco2KA.jpg

Ph1w7MF.jpg

u3NgKVq.jpg

First box of Oktoberfest beer.
J7Km9nj.jpg

And my first "haul" of the new pumpkin (and squash) season!
7EGbQxV.jpg

In a row on the ground. (There are more pumpkins and squashes in the yard behind me).
6aqDiQ8.jpg

FYI, how to properly enjoy Weisswurst (the illustrations are easy enough to understand):
s9DlDei.png

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 4