• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cookbooks published in 2022

55 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Is this version of salted green onions of any use?

Thanks. I was aware of that but I’m curious to see Naomi’s take on it.
 As I said, I’m unlikely to cook from this book but I’m very interested in the subject.  

One thing, she definitely wins top marks for is her acknowledgement that all salt is sodium chloride and once dissolved in water the most expensive is no better than the cheapest. 

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

4 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Indeed!   The only difference I subscribe to is surface texture.   Admitting here that I readily reach for Maldon flake.

Or the stones I use for baking my potatoes.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Today I made Sweet and Salty Chocolate Cake. from Small Batch Bakes.  Since the measurements are in grams, it was easy to scale this to one layer.  It was (is) delicious helped by the dulce de leche buttercream.  It's a keeper.

20221025_191855.jpg

• Like 7
  • Delicious 1

I recently made Biscoff-Stuffed Brownies from Small Batch Bakes.  John liked them, I did not particularly care for them.  I'm not a big brownie fan to start with and these were VERY dense.

20221011_185007.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ElsieD said:

Today I made Sweet and Salty Chocolate Cake. from Small Batch Bakes.  Since the measurements are in grams, it was easy to scale this to one layer.  It was (is) delicious helped by the dulce de leche buttercream.  It's a keeper.

20221025_191855.jpg

The library honored my request for Small Batch Bakes.  A copy should be here for me eventually.

• Like 7

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

On 10/24/2022 at 8:28 PM, Anna N said:

Thanks. I was aware of that but I’m curious to see Naomi’s take on it.
 As I said, I’m unlikely to cook from this book but I’m very interested in the subject.  

One thing, she definitely wins top marks for is her acknowledgement that all salt is sodium chloride and once dissolved in water the most expensive is no better than the cheapest. 

Well, I downloaded a Kindle sample of this book.

I have to tell you that it takes very little for an author to completely lose my trust.  Two recent examples: an author who described the yellow eyes of a turtle seen on a black and white TV and in a different book, surgeons left to clear up the sharps after a failed resuscitation attempt!  No, no, no no. So Naomi’s sin? Spending far too long explaining why you must use scales to weigh salt in recipes, and then giving her first recipe in volume measurements. It probably doesn’t make a whole lot of difference for this recipe but…… After that, the few recipes that are given in the sample switch back-and-forth between volume and weight or use both - weight and volume for one ingredient and volume for another: 

the 
½ cup/75 grams white sesame seeds

2 tablespoons coarse or fine sea salt

this, after carefully explaining that the same volumes of coarse salt and fine salt will have different weights. 

Will I still buy the book? Probably not.
The writing is repetitive and tedious. 

Sorry, Naomi, I think you missed on this one.  Perhaps the recipes will redeem it for others. 

Edited by Anna N
To remove extraneous words. (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

• 1 month later...

Wondering if anyone has an opinion on Food 52 Simply Genius. @blue_dolphinmentioned a recipe from the book in the breakfast thread. 

My 2004 eG Blog

Just grabbed the latest cookbooks off the "new" shelves (oops.  did it again....shelves at the library)  and was quite delighted with one of them...Desiree Nielsen, Good for Your Gut:  Plant-based digestive health guide and nourishing recipes for living well, Penguin, 2022.  

Now that I have more or less stopped eating gluten...the jury is still out...and dairy...ditto...I am always on the look-out for good bread/cake/cookie/etc recipes.  Had no idea that the first 103 pages were all about the gut and how it works.  Well explained and even some things I'd never read before.  Nielsen certainly pulled it all together in a very useful way and she's not singled-minded or narrow-thinking about it all which was a delight.  

Plus I found about 8 useful recipes that I am going to try.  

Edited by Darienne
forgot to say the book comes from our local library (log)
  • Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

Life in the Meadows and Rivers

Cheers & Chocolates