Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2022


liuzhou
 Share

Recommended Posts

@Dejah   I love grits.  I wish Ronnie did.  I'd make them happily and often.  I might have to try again.  I think if I really doctor them up with cheese and maybe some spicy jalapeños or something that he'd like them better.

 

A vac pac of a turkey quarter and a leg unvacced in the freezer so I roasted them over some potatoes along with sprouts and Stove Top stuffing.  I never did make stuffing over either Thanksgiving or Christmas so I had been hungry for it for a while.  

 

IMG_1911.thumb.jpg.6f7d72bcddb07c6fd15b3928795b055f.jpg

 

IMG_1912.thumb.jpg.d4ab3c66aa84b49150263f9459e3edf5.jpg

 

I ate the single leg along with a little piece off of the thigh.

 

Yesterday I did up a batch of egg rolls for the freezer--I've posted it before but I'll do it again.  This recipe for egg rolls is just the best I've come across and they freeze really well.

 

IMG_1918.thumb.jpg.bc0b557859bd469c5f84faa6527c3c01.jpg

 

So I had to make a few for dinner along with some sticky wings and dumplings.  Dumplings were purchased.  Three different kinds.

Sriracha chicken, Braised short rib and Red roasted duck.  I didn't care for the short rib....tasted like pot roast and nothing else.  The chicken was my favorite.

 

912195864_IMG_19242.thumb.jpg.876221b44e3a1e1d513a1e65ad91fbdf.jpg

 

IMG_1922.thumb.jpg.41d6ce968f008fd9ceb13b62e19b19d5.jpg

 

 

  • Like 11
  • Delicious 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

@MaryIsobel – Mr. Kim and I come close to your daughter’s bacon plate now.  Mr. Kim grew up in a family that had to watch their pennies and bacon with breakfast was a treat.  Mr. Kim and his siblings got ONE piece each and his dad got two.  My mom just cooked the entire package of bacon and put it on a plate in the middle of the table.  She never knew how many kids and friends would be there, so it was a free for all.  But I’m sure everyone got enough.  The first time I made breakfast for Mr. Kim, I accordingly cooked a pound (remember?) of bacon and set it on the table.  I joke that that was the moment he fell in love with me.  And he’s never denied it. 😊

 

@Norm Matthews – Mr. Kim promised to make chili last week and somehow it never happened.  Your chili looks absolutely delicious. 

 

@liamsaunt – I’m so sorry about your cockles.  You’d think that he could smell that they were off when he was bagging them. 

 

Dinner was a strange combination:

IMG_8209.jpg.0d1db0ad6f912f42437d0f499ad861a1.jpg

Beef kielbasa from Costco, leftover vegetable stir fry with fresh water chestnuts and bean sprouts, and Basmati rice.  So, Chinese vegetables, Polish sausage, and Indian rice.  It was very good, though – even the leftover veggies! 

Thanks. I hope you like it.

I didn't mention this in the blog but I added some cocoa powder.  It seems to give the chili a deeper flavor.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, chromedome said:

I had to go looking for them, but they turned out to be available in the Health/Natural section at Sobeys so they're not too hard to find (they're not a "thang" on my coast, either).

My sweetie had seen shrimp and grits many times on cooking shows, and wanted to try the combo for herself. It was a hit, so now I keep them on hand (Bob's Red Mill). Just had them a few nights ago, in fact.

I have a textural issue with oatmeal (porridge) although I love oatmeal cookies, muffins, bread, etc. This has held me back from trying grits but similarily, I love cornbread, corn tortillas, etc. I guess the only way to find out is to give it a try.

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, MaryIsobel said:

I have a textural issue with oatmeal (porridge) although I love oatmeal cookies, muffins, bread, etc. This has held me back from trying grits but similarily, I love cornbread, corn tortillas, etc. I guess the only way to find out is to give it a try.

 

If you grew up on rolled oats for your porridge, as I did, that's not the texture (there's a reason I switched a an adult to steel-cut). It's probably closer in mouthfeel to Cream of Wheat. Or if you've had soft polenta at an Italian meal, that's basically the same thing.

  • Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

 

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, chromedome said:

If you grew up on rolled oats for your porridge, as I did, that's not the texture (there's a reason I switched a an adult to steel-cut). It's probably closer in mouthfeel to Cream of Wheat. Or if you've had soft polenta at an Italian meal, that's basically the same thing.

Pap  - not my thing either. But I am odd Congee not comfort to me.

Edited by heidih (log)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, chromedome said:

If you grew up on rolled oats for your porridge, as I did, that's not the texture (there's a reason I switched a an adult to steel-cut). It's probably closer in mouthfeel to Cream of Wheat. Or if you've had soft polenta at an Italian meal, that's basically the same thing.

You lost me at Cream of Wheat. One of my worst childhood memories was an overnight at the home of a friend. They were a no nonsense - "clean your plate" kind of family. A bowl of Cream of Wheat was breakfast. Fortunately they were dairy farmers, so with copious amounts of milk, I managed to finish my bowl, but never again! Polenta that has been cooked and chilled and then sauteed might be a good introduction for me. I am a pretty adventurous eater and hate to cross anything off my list.

Edited by MaryIsobel (log)
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

IMHO there is a huge textural difference between "old fashioned rolled oats" and "quick cooking".   I love the OF, microwaved with enough water to soften, then splashed with heavy cream.    I can't abide the quick cooking pap in any form or topping.   They also do not make a proper oatmeal cookie.

  • Like 2

eGullet member #80.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

A huge, probably 5" artichoke with mayo as starter, unphotographed.

Hungarian chicken with noodles.    Sorry leftovers were so scant!

2092564392_ScreenShot2022-02-12at5_26_07PM.png.5e37547e8c2cdd87463ee1efff5decf7.png

 

Chicken thigh, onion, red bell pepper, paprika, chicken broth, sour cream.

  • Like 9
  • Delicious 3

eGullet member #80.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Two meals without rice or potato! What's with THAT?! LOL!
Stove-top grilled lamb chops, Moroccan Couscous (without the pine nuts as I didn't have any!), and lovely green beans.

 

                                                                                  179669953_LambChopsCouscous6463.jpg.d72d6b5ee0d65d09a28b827ef31064d2.jpg

  • Like 13
  • Delicious 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Dejah said:

The most important critic! ❤️

Assuredly the cutest critic.

18 hours ago, MaryIsobel said:

Thank you. I have never had shrimp and grits. I've had shrimp - tons of them, but I've never had grits. They are just not a "thang" around these parts although I have seen them on a couple of restaurant menus in the last few years.

 

17 hours ago, chromedome said:

I had to go looking for them, but they turned out to be available in the Health/Natural section at Sobeys so they're not too hard to find (they're not a "thang" on my coast, either).

My sweetie had seen shrimp and grits many times on cooking shows, and wanted to try the combo for herself. It was a hit, so now I keep them on hand (Bob's Red Mill). Just had them a few nights ago, in fact.

 

14 hours ago, MaryIsobel said:

You lost me at Cream of Wheat. One of my worst childhood memories was an overnight at the home of a friend. They were a no nonsense - "clean your plate" kind of family. A bowl of Cream of Wheat was breakfast. Fortunately they were dairy farmers, so with copious amounts of milk, I managed to finish my bowl, but never again! Polenta that has been cooked and chilled and then sauteed might be a good introduction for me. I am a pretty adventurous eater and hate to cross anything off my list.


I love grits. I’m good with them just boiled and seasoned with salt, pepper and butter with breakfast, but they’re also good with cheese, and even with some browned sausage stirred in. Vivian Howard has a grits dish in Deep Run Roots that I like that has pimiento cheese and sausage in it. 
 

My standard cheese grits are made with half whole milk, half water, cream cheese and smoked Gouda. I always make about twice as many as I think we’ll eat, and pat the rest out evenly in a 9-inch baking dish and stick them in the fridge; when they’re cold and set up well, I cut into squares, dredge in flour, and fry (medium high, one side for about three minutes before you flip, else it’ll disintegrate). Grit cakes! A Memphis restaurant, the Half Shell, does grits this way for its shrimp and grits, which are in a spicy tomato cream sauce. I love them for any saucy dish.

 

Another of my favorites is to take that baking dish of grits, top the grits with a shakshuka type sauce, make divots in it and crack eggs in the divots, and top the whole thing with crumbled bacon, chopped ham or browned sausage, and a little grated cheese. 15 minutes at 350, and boom, there you are. Great brunch entree, and makes a great lunch or light dinner with a side salad.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We love grits. Just re-stocked Bob'sRedMill. Also make a double batch to rest and firm up in mini loaf pans for next day cast iron seared with eggs and merguez. Similar with risotto--next day arancini. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'll be first to say not the prettiest dish, but it tasted just fine.

 

Braised chicken legs (bone in) with black garlic and asparagus. Zhejiang black vinegar and Vietnamese fish sauce in there, too. And some Sichuan chilli peppers. I don't mess about!

Served with crusty baguettes because I was too damned tired lazy to cook rice!

 

chicken.thumb.jpg.c15c2e7691fb9f24f2973b9d29f625f1.jpg

 

  • Like 9

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

 

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Martinis. Beefeater, wet.

 

IMG_6125.thumb.jpeg.0b82771d8bfe6eea57822923f99cf826.jpeg

 

Uni on thinly sliced radish. Scallop crudo. Lobster bisque (some nice chunks of lobster in that little cup).

 

IMG_6126.thumb.jpeg.70ad902ef219f18e4506384878b81d6f.jpeg

 

Tuna tartare-uni toast.

 

1737181791_IMG_6127copy.thumb.jpeg.9be313bfa5ec8c8c8b517b7f31f8dd7a.jpeg

 

Yellowfin over foie gras. Chives.

 

CC56B6A6-5B21-4800-9453-9DF0B7EB5378.thumb.jpeg.e0b85f337b51fe9cac4362381c528959.jpeg

 

Shrimp, Uni, Razor Clam, Langoustine, Geoduck Chawanmushi, Smoked Pork Dashi Broth.

 

IMG_6129.thumb.jpeg.3a8d6785b40b2d358e142462cf762d0e.jpeg

 

Poached Lobster. Winter Vegetable Medley, Miso-Sake Lobster Broth.

 

IMG_6131.thumb.jpeg.f41678ae1d5e0e18211edc8c21a889ae.jpeg

 

Baked Striped Bass. Artichoke Medley, Black Truffle Barigoule.

 

IMG_6133.thumb.jpeg.bd531d83a4fe8cbe04a3ef5c85a13f8e.jpeg

 

Pan Roasted Merluza and Braised Oxtail Butternut Squash Canneloni, Spiced Red Wine Sauce.

 

IMG_6136.thumb.jpeg.e99f3a83b294fbb483fc561f2e6cb715.jpeg

 

3 ice creams and Chocolate Sorbet.

 

IMG_6139.thumb.jpeg.4eb66286d1523f805250a58d4de664d0.jpeg

 

MILK CHOCOLATE-HAZELNUT - Praline Mousse, Gianduja Orange-Creamsicle Ice Cream.

 

IMG_6137.thumb.jpeg.9da84605b81d9ad5f8bf38d70f5247ce.jpeg

 

Awwww.

 

IMG_6141.thumb.jpeg.0c1053813f7fa06bcf292f5a12214510.jpeg

 

Petit fours - X 2.

 

Wines by the glass for (almost) each course.

 

Le Bernardin.

 

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 7

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Annie_H said:

We love grits. Just re-stocked Bob'sRedMill. Also make a double batch to rest and firm up in mini loaf pans for next day cast iron seared with eggs and merguez. Similar with risotto--next day arancini. 

 

I tend to use what ever Aunt Jemimah turned into...(Pearl River?) white grits.  I'm still working on a bag of the old stuff.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, weinoo said:

 

Both? Thanks!


In that case I do not have to put you on my “ignore” list for posting such an obscenely delectable dinner …

 

It’s time I’ll get to NYC.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Beef neck was on sale this week, so I got myself 2.5 kg and made Marcella Hazan’s ragù alle bolognese this morning. I used an open red wine instead of the requested white and found that the result was still perfect.

 

Having a little more than 5 kg of ragu at my disposal I made a lasagna tonight. Ragu, besciamella and fresh lasagna sheets (commercial). Mixture of parmigiano and provolone dolce (‘cause that’s what I had open in the fridge). It is a simple dish but boy … this is sooo delicious. Thanks, Marcella !

 

DC366711-C3B1-4E55-8EC9-1B868924D158.thumb.jpeg.2127d09cfc5ee7f46c212c2f7c7e35c9.jpeg
 

2E3F8DFD-2EE7-4665-88A1-645C32DB59E2.thumb.jpeg.b3cbdc60ec93caf47df19ddcf2006549.jpeg
 

Yes - the Ikea plates indicate this was consumed while enjoying a movie for this week’s Lasagna & Movie night - Hotel Transylvania 4.

  • Like 10
  • Delicious 5
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, weinoo said:

Martinis. Beefeater, wet.

 

IMG_6125.thumb.jpeg.0b82771d8bfe6eea57822923f99cf826.jpeg

 

Uni on thinly sliced radish. Scallop crudo. Lobster bisque (some nice chunks of lobster in that little cup).

 

IMG_6126.thumb.jpeg.70ad902ef219f18e4506384878b81d6f.jpeg

 

Tuna tartare-uni toast.

 

1737181791_IMG_6127copy.thumb.jpeg.9be313bfa5ec8c8c8b517b7f31f8dd7a.jpeg

 

Yellowfin over foie gras. Chives.

 

CC56B6A6-5B21-4800-9453-9DF0B7EB5378.thumb.jpeg.e0b85f337b51fe9cac4362381c528959.jpeg

 

Shrimp, Uni, Razor Clam, Langoustine, Geoduck Chawanmushi, Smoked Pork Dashi Broth.

 

IMG_6129.thumb.jpeg.3a8d6785b40b2d358e142462cf762d0e.jpeg

 

Poached Lobster. Winter Vegetable Medley, Miso-Sake Lobster Broth.

 

IMG_6131.thumb.jpeg.f41678ae1d5e0e18211edc8c21a889ae.jpeg

 

Baked Striped Bass. Artichoke Medley, Black Truffle Barigoule.

 

IMG_6133.thumb.jpeg.bd531d83a4fe8cbe04a3ef5c85a13f8e.jpeg

 

Pan Roasted Merluza and Braised Oxtail Butternut Squash Canneloni, Spiced Red Wine Sauce.

 

IMG_6136.thumb.jpeg.e99f3a83b294fbb483fc561f2e6cb715.jpeg

 

3 ice creams and Chocolate Sorbet.

 

IMG_6139.thumb.jpeg.4eb66286d1523f805250a58d4de664d0.jpeg

 

MILK CHOCOLATE-HAZELNUT - Praline Mousse, Gianduja Orange-Creamsicle Ice Cream.

 

IMG_6137.thumb.jpeg.9da84605b81d9ad5f8bf38d70f5247ce.jpeg

 

Awwww.

 

IMG_6141.thumb.jpeg.0c1053813f7fa06bcf292f5a12214510.jpeg

 

Petit fours - X 2.

 

Wines by the glass for (almost) each course.

 

Le Bernardin.

 

As much as I hate the expression, OMG, OMG! I would devour every single thing (except the uni - long story, I think my first taste was bad.) Although we live in the sticks and our dining choices are shall I say, severly limited, we are an hour drive away from downtown Vancouver where I'm sure we could find something somewahat equal to your dinner, but the traffic, the parking... We do have tickets for a concert downtown in early March, so looking forward to having something other than the pub "special."

 

Edited by MaryIsobel (log)
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, liamsaunt said:

Lightly blackened grouper tacos with avocado crema and pickled watermelon radishes and onions.  

 

825374922_fishtacos2.thumb.jpg.bb1351de2286e2756ea9ebc64e1590bf.jpg


when you buy grouper, do you find it fresh and just flown in? I’ve tried bringing it back from the Gulf Coast, on ice in a cooler, and find if I don’t cook it the night I get home, it’s just not good. And I’ve never been successful freezing it.

  • Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...