• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Crappy Food Writing

gfweb

According to The Spruce Eats, Muslims  are forbidden to eat "animals that were dead prior to slaughtering". Do they not know 'what slaughter' means?

slaughter, n.

(ˈslɔːtə(r))

1. a.1.a The killing of cattle, sheep, or other animals for food.

So if you want halal food, don't kill dead animals! Even better, don't read The Spruce Eats.

• Haha 3

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

3 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

I guess that leaves out the roadkill recipe that I was planning to make for Ramadan.

Probably refers to the slaughter needs to be done in a certain way.

2 hours ago, gfweb said:

Probably refers to the slaughter needs to be done in a certain way.

In addition to forbidding the killing of dead animals, the sentence also goes on to separately list animals not "properly slaughtered" being forbidden.  I know what they mean, but that's not what they wrote.

https://www.thespruceeats.com/what-is-halal-food-2355726

• Like 1

For those of us who occasionally want to get just the recipe from a site, without scrolling through a few thousand words of maunderings about what the blogger's family does or doesn't like, there is now help. Tamar Haspel just posted about this on The Platform Formerly Known as Twitter, and I can attest that it works.

Just type "cooked.wiki/" - minus the quotes - into the address bar of your browser, and then paste the URL of the page without any spaces (so the end result looks something like this) ...

cooked.wiki/https://www.randomrecipeblog.com

Magically all the bumf will disappear, and just leave you with the recipe in a nicely formatted state.

Edited by chromedome (log)
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

24 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

I don't know if it's crappy food writing or just the epitome of crappy but this showed up in my email box today. Beefy Italian Ramen skillet.

I need some votes here. Should I try it or trash it.

The writing was OK. The food terrified me.

• Haha 5

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

@Tropicalsenior

looks completely  thoughtless to me .

well before the idiotic GBP  ( red bell so difficult to  find ? ) 

the sodium load would either kill you

or burn your tongue out so you would taste nothing . a blessing in this case 

at least a red BP was saved for something else .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

14 hours ago, Tropicalsenior said:

I don't know if it's crappy food writing or just the epitome of crappy but this showed up in my email box today. Beefy Italian Ramen skillet.

I need some votes here. Should I try it or trash it.

Appears they're taking unedited writing submissions from drunk or stoned university students.

I'd pass.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot

1 hour ago, Senior Sea Kayaker said:

Appears they're taking unedited writing submissions from drunk or stoned university students.

I'd pass.

the site is called "allrecipes"

3 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

including recipes for disaster.

Some are disasters, some are gastly, some recipes for two would feed a family of four for a week. If you see something labeled Grandma's favorite, don't even bother to look. My personal favorite was one called the World's Best Barbecue Chicken. Called for a whole chicken and a bottle of barbecue sauce. DUH! My next favorite would be one that they run quite frequently. Seven Can Chili. Open seven cans of stuff and dump it in the slow cooker. Abandon for 10 hours and you have chili.

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

I have some cans of paint and one of lubricating oil. I hope that's enough.

I don't recall what they used but I'm sure the results that you would get are equally edible and enjoyable.

• Haha 4

38 minutes ago, Nancy in Pátzcuaro said:

And by the way, if I never read the words "ooey-gooey cheese" again it would be just fine by me. Perhaps I'm reading the wrong food websites.

I know "melty" has been in use since 1899, per Merriam-Webster, but reading "melty cheese" makes my eyeballs hurt.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

I see a difference between 'melted cheese', my preference and 'melty cheese'. The latter, for me, describes cheese that can be melted but may not have been melted. Meltable may be better.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

I see a difference between 'melted cheese, my preference and 'melty cheese'. The latter, for me, describes cheese that can be melted but may not have been melted. Meltable may be better.

Yes, this. "De-solidified" would be more fun, though. 

Edited by Alex (log)
  • Like 1

I believe Food Network/Marc Summers is responsible for ooey-gooey as rationalization for a food-gasm

Why not call it melted cheese?

Edited by gfweb (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1