• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2021

liuzhou

5 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

I did/do have wine on hand. It was a deliberate choice to use beer this time. It's something I do from time to time for a change.

Thanks. No idea how it got to my head from reading your comment 😄

~ Shai N.

Tonight, after 4 days of rabbit (thanks to the rabbit cook-off) the family requested another protein ... the little wanted the movie moved from Sunday to tonight, so ... bacon cheeseburgers. 

I recently switched from frying to broiling for my indoor burgers. Far juicier results and proper cheese melting (plus higher capacity up to 6 patties simultaneously).

9D420D2E-F5EB-4825-9943-D290C0312BC2.thumb.jpeg.bd466e5383178e2772d820caaf155cf2.jpeg

Served “Arnau” style: Kewpie, salad, patty & cheese, bacon, tomato, pickles, bbq sauce & roasted onions ... complaints successfully silenced 😉

58569E86-128E-42A4-9CAA-60D0838EA0D0.thumb.jpeg.91422f9fd4243179b76b35eadfde689a.jpeg

9831832F-1D81-476B-9BDB-4966B6C9D52D.thumb.jpeg.b690252d87a6819f68b785f141be847d.jpeg

Enjoyed together with Howl’s Moving Castle - a great movie !

0F15CD84-3B70-4E8A-9B5C-47175C4CF6EC.jpeg.ed37b0026590dda2b332507ff5f24235.jpeg

Edited by Duvel (log)
  • Like 14

Just now, Duvel said:

I recently switched from frying to broiling for my indoor burgers. Far juicier results and proper cheese melting (plus higher capacity up to 6 patties simultaneously).

9D420D2E-F5EB-4825-9943-D290C0312BC2.thumb.jpeg.bd466e5383178e2772d820caaf155cf2.jpeg

I find broiling an under rated method. I prefer it in a gas oven but can make it work electric.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Duvel said:

That looks great ! Would you be so kind to share your source or your recipe ?

It is a Meera Sodha recipe from her cookbook Fresh India.  It was republished on Epicurious:

https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/paneer-butter-masala

I leave the almonds off because there are pistachios in the maharajah rice (also a recipe from Fresh India)

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Shelby said:

@Duvel between your rabbit and these burgers I want to be your kid and live there lol.

I’d like that - let’s get this stupid pandemy over with, and you come over and start your living in trial period 😉 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

It pays to make friends with people in the food industry!  I called my local Japanese fish monger yesterday to place an order for pickup today (as I have come to trust his ability to select prime pieces) 

When I arrived today he came out with two packages of fish collars (my favourite).  I had requested kampachi and while he offered the requested variety he also brought out a pack of huge beautiful hamachi collars which he was very proud of the fact they had received a large whole fish and wanted to save them for me.  What a guy!  

C161A90A-D6B9-47C2-BE19-4ACA61130C71.thumb.jpeg.8075f0ea8b7eaffe7bd10d34f34104e1.jpeg

I tried a new dish today.  Grilled them and then picked the meat off the bones.  I macerated ginger and green onions in Yuzu the strained.  Also macerated bonito flakes in a soy/sugar sauce then strained and combined.

32B8EBEC-6F95-4517-947E-018BD248188F.thumb.jpeg.bff44a3a8711134b260f97684cb7d379.jpeg

Tossed in the pulled fish and served on California gold rice and tobiko.  My wife better be careful, this guy clearly knows how to make me happy!  Lol.  

• Like 11
  • Delicious 3
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Norm Matthews said:

@liuzhou  One way I enjoy brisket is braised in beer and I always put some in Chili.  I will have to remember to try it with mussels. 

We had crab boil tonight. I am pretty sure this will be the last time I get crab legs when they are not on sale.

They were not good? Snow crab to me at least does not lend itself to further boiling - kinda delicate as already cooked and thin.

1 hour ago, liamsaunt said:

It is a Meera Sodha recipe from her cookbook Fresh India.  It was republished on Epicurious:

https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/paneer-butter-masala

I leave the almonds off because there are pistachios in the maharajah rice (also a recipe from Fresh India)

Strange that the chef does not toast their whole spices in the ghee before adding onions/ginger/garlic/tomato

An employee of mine years back gave me her recipe for a paneer curry (which I almost always add peas to!) which involved toasting cloves, green cardamon and cumin prior to adding the ginger/onion paste - then the crushed spices (ground coriander, red kashmir chili powder - later on garam masala) and after that tomatoes.

Cream goes in towards the end, she also insisted you put cashew paste - last week I used almond butter instead, still came out great.  Fenugreek goes in at the very end.

2 hours ago, heidih said:

They were not good? Snow crab to me at least does not lend itself to further boiling - kinda delicate as already cooked and thin.

They were good and they just needed thawing with the steam in the pot.  I will wait until they are on sale because they are expensive.  During Christmas through New Years and a little beyond, they were $10/lb.  Now they are nearly twice that. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Norm Matthews said:

They were good and they just needed thawing with the steam in the pot.  I will wait until they are on sale because they are expensive.  During Christmas through New Years and a little beyond, they were $10/lb.  Now they are nearly twice that. 

Ouch that is expensive even at 10. I'll check next time at market. Sometimes the best meat on them is where they are torn from the body and you get nice chunks of sweet meat. Depends on how processed.

Palacsintas filled with caramelized cabbage and onion, mushrooms, dill, tarragon, some spices (garlic, coriander, caraway, allspice, pepper). Sour cream.

Served with salad, pickles and wine.

PXL_20210105_200129938.jpg

PXL_20210106_132201252.jpg

• Like 10
  • Delicious 3

~ Shai N.

2 hours ago, shain said:

Palacsintas

Quite blintz-like, which shouldn't surprise me as they have a similar batter (obv not sweetened?), as well as to crepes. Slightly more substantial (i.e. higher flour ratio), if I'm reading recipes correctly.

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

@shain 

when I saw your Palacsintas

cut

they reminded me of MooShu pork I used to get 

in Chinatown , at the ' old ' Shanghai  restaurant

fragrant , excellent wrappers etc

it going to take me some time to recover.

the O.S.  changed hands some time ago

and lost its unique flavors.

MooShu Pork , done well

is a gift from the gods.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, weinoo said:

Quite blintz-like, which shouldn't surprise me as they have a similar batter (obv not sweetened?), as well as to crepes. Slightly more substantial (i.e. higher flour ratio), if I'm reading recipes correctly.

Generally those are a bit leaner (less butter/oil) than either blintzes or crepes. As thick as blintzes, but a bit less airy. That said, there's a large variation between cooks and recpies. 

Edited by shain (log)
  • Like 1

~ Shai N.