• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Imperfect, Misfit, Etc. (The Food Delivery Services)

Chris Hennes

10 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Looks interesting.  I can't quite see how Market Wagon works.  Can anyone explain in simple words?

I'm not sure how they manage it but the foods all come from local producers. And they seem to deliver nearly everywhere. I have no idea. It has to be a logistical nightmare. Or maybe it is set up like a franchise where each region has someone who pulls it all together for that area. If anyone knows, please share.

Deb

Liberty, MO

Hmm. A couple of local vendors had tried to organize something like that here in New Brunswick, but their respective ambitions outstripped their financial resources. One foundered (in part because of an all-advised expansion designed to underpin this scheme), while the other teetered on the edge of bankruptcy for a few months (because of expansion not directly related to this scheme) before being bought out by another local business.

Currently the idea is on hiatus, as one would expect in Plague Times. Perhaps someone else will pick it up and run with it.

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

When I put in my zip code, the suppliers are most definitely not local. I had 2 that I checked the profiles for, and they were in MI and IN. So I don't know how it works.

• Confused 1

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

18 minutes ago, BeeZee said:

When I put in my zip code, the suppliers are most definitely not local. I had 2 that I checked the profiles for, and they were in MI and IN. So I don't know how it works.

Obviously, not really local.  I mean, if I'm buying produce that's green these days, it's either from greenhouses or probably from California. No matter where you or I buy it, it's the middle of January.

• Like 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

When I lived in Hot Springs we had a buying coop arrangement with a good number of local farmers. They’d post what they had and price, and members would go online and choose what they wanted. Once every two weeks, farmers would bring what has been ordered to a church that allowed us to use its refrigerators and freezers, and volunteers would parcel it out into who had what. Then people would come and pick up and pay. Coop members paid a small monthly fee, which would be forgiven if you volunteered to work a shift.

Wintertime markets were root veggies that had been stored, meat, eggs, milk, cheese, and hydroponic greenhouse veggies, mostly salad fixings.

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

I had trouble finding anything not written by the company. But some yelp or some such reviews have some pics posted. Seems some locations have a pick-up or delivery for 7bucks. One customer posted a layout of their loot....a bar of soap, one root veg I think a radish and two tiny garlic bulbs. So tiny they should really have been planted in October to for next years harvest. And I think a bag of meatballs.

Might be valuable if you are familiar with your local vendors. Would prevent multiple shopping stops. Like a familiar farmers market. Imagine a smart kid videotaping a walk through the UnionSquare market once a week and shopping for you, then delivering. Or starting a collective and gathering local produce in one location and shipped or delivered from there. I've photographed rooftop greenhouses in Brooklyn. If someone put together my favorite NYC things and local greenhouse produce I'm all in. 

What makes WaldenLocal HudsonValley work so well is having their own vans and delivering in each area just once a month. Except when our second bag never showed up April 2020. No door pic. Delivered to the wrong door obviously but no-one fessed up. They did 

reimburse but could only re-deliver a few weeks later. Bummer since we really needed it at that time. Baldor to the rescue.

So many great things made right here in the NY metropolitan area. It would take days to gather all of it.

This is pretty great, posted recently in the NYTimes, Katz's get well soon package

Edited by Annie_H
sp (log)
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

Obviously, not really local.  I mean, if I'm buying produce that's green these days, it's either from greenhouses or probably from California. No matter where you or I buy it, it's the middle of January.

Why wouldn't greenhouses be local?

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Annie_H said:

I had trouble finding anything not written by the company. But some yelp or some such reviews have some pics posted. Seems some locations have a pick-up or delivery for 7bucks.

I have mostly been reading business-side articles, of which there are quite a few. I'm sure you saw this blog post, a pretty good run-down from the customer perspective.  The delivery fee is indeed $6.95 but there are options to pay in advance for a month @ $14.95 or $149.95 for the full year. Obviously, those options would seem to encourage regular orders. 

As an aside, I can see from their map that they are not operating in my area but the website doesn't seem to have a "sorry, check back soon" message when you enter a zip code out of their area but just dumps you out on to their site. Maybe they want to keep you clicking around.  I dunno. 

33 minutes ago, KennethT said:

Why wouldn't greenhouses be local?

What I meant was/is that it's either from greenhouses (which certainly may be local - we actually gave a tour (when I was with the IACP)) of the roof with Gotham Greens' greenhouse, right when they started out, or the produce is from afar. 

• Like 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

8 minutes ago, weinoo said:

What I meant was/is that it's either from greenhouses (which certainly may be local - we actually gave a tour (when I was with the IACP)) of the roof with Gotham Greens' greenhouse, right when they started out, or the produce is from afar. 

I believe you're quite correct in saying that the bulk of fresh greens sold or offered for delivery at this time of year in your area are not grown locally.

That said, there are many greenhouse growers in adjacent areas providing the same.

Market Wagon, an operation recently discussed here, does operate locally at this time and doesn't offer long distance shipping. 

I found that Walmart delivers groceries for $7 - all of their groceries - order today, get it tomorrow - no subscriptions!

I believe I'm shopping local as it would be if I went to their store locally.

I also have the option of not paying extra for "organic"

p

1 hour ago, blue_dolphin said:

I believe you're quite correct in saying that the bulk of fresh greens sold or offered for delivery at this time of year in your area are not grown locally.

That said, there are many greenhouse growers in adjacent areas providing the same.

Market Wagon, an operation recently discussed here, does operate locally at this time and doesn't offer long distance shipping. 

All the greenhouses are fine; truth is, I don't find the flavor of most anything coming out of greenhouses to match that which comes out of the actual ground in the actual sun. Except maybe cannabis...and then, I'm not as worried about the flavor.

• Haha 2

Tasty Travails - My Blog

2 hours ago, palo said:

I found that Walmart delivers groceries for $7 - all of their groceries - order today, get it tomorrow - no subscriptions!

We used insta-cart a couple times local. During the 'freak-out' phase. Baldor, only NYC, is next day but different now with restaurants being open-ish. Some of the add-on fees with insta-cart were a surprise. Heavy load+10 bucks, etc. Baldor is free shipping. (we do tip heavy)...really nice guys delivering. 

My Misfits just showed up on my front step. My parents, with my brother and his wife visiting them from Idaho just got their boxes and my SIL and MIL who now live together in Charleston just got their Misfits gift boxes I sent. All saying via text---better than Christmas!, 😂

My yogurt exploded under a whole roaster chicken. Only one exploded yogurt sent---should be two. Three dozen eggs sent---I ordered one. Organic extra virgin olive oil I did not order. (not a brand I like)...other choices they have I would order. Not sure how they keep screwing up in my favor, 😜

Shipping is 4.50$ flat with Misfits. Two giant boxes today. I snacked-up, lol. And a boat load of greens. Cilantro looks like hell. My 13 day old is still fresh so no guarantee. 

My SIL texted an oddity in their box. One can of fancy tonic water. Saw it in the penny shop....but I sent a box of penny soup...

"tonic, my fav, but no gin!"....my reply...."if there is gin in the house, your husband, my brother, diluted it 50 years ago". 

11 minutes ago, Annie_H said:

We used insta-cart a couple times local. During the 'freak-out' phase. Baldor, only NYC, is next day but different now with restaurants being open-ish. Some of the add-on fees with insta-cart were a surprise. Heavy load+10 bucks, etc. Baldor is free shipping. (we do tip heavy)...really nice guys delivering. 

Baldor is actually doing home deliveries in NYC, DC, and Boston metros now: https://www.baldorfood.com/baldorhomedeliverymap

I have never quite been able to figure out their website (though I have not looked in a long while). It seemed like at any given time, 80% of the items packaged in "home" quantities were sold out.

Instacart is a bit of a mess, but if you're careful it can be useful. Different stores have different pricing policies, and you can find them if you poke around a bit. A small handful have in-store pricing. Most around here are cited as "up to 15% higher" — but that's just the item prices, not any of the fees. That said, I may try them soon for some stores we haven't wanted to trek to since Omicron hit.

We also are now in Instacart range for deliveries from Restaurant Depot, which is kind of intriguing.

Some of the Instacart fees are avoidable if you're shopping for pickup -- obviously not a great NYC option, but honestly we prefer it a lot of the time here. E.g., Wegmans in-store pickup is run off the Instacart platform; the prices are indeed higher, but there are no fees of any kind beyond that. (You actually *can't* tip, which is frustrating).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Annie_H said:

We used insta-cart a couple times local.

Walmart here uses DoorDash - my order today consisted of 7 bags plus 5 jugs of juice - no extra charges - just pick a delivery time - all done online they have an app but why would you want to?

p

17 hours ago, dtremit said:

I have never quite been able to figure out their website (though I have not looked in a long while). It seemed like at any given time, 80% of the items packaged in "home" quantities were sold out.

I did not have much trouble with Baldor. Used them every 3-4 months. Less now. Not really necessary with the few deliveries we are happy with. Never had an issue with 'home' quantities. But that might be NYC. 

15 hours ago, palo said:

Walmart here uses DoorDash - my order today consisted of 7 bags plus 5 jugs of juice - no extra charges - just pick a delivery time -

I was just pointing out what to look out for. Unexpected added fees. I've not been in a Walmart that I'm aware of. Not at all a convenience here. We all seem to have worked out our comfort zone for grocery shopping. Minor adjustments trying new vendors. All our shopping trials happened the first have of 2020. 

My Misfits delivery yesterday---the eggs are 2.99, the tomato paste, 1.99. every veg and pantry staple is 1-2 dollars cheaper than even Walmart. 35 items. That adds up. Bragg's AC vinegar, Vermont creamery butter and cheese. Things I have always purchased before covid. Not a club. No order, they do not send. 

FreshDirect is a big deal in NYC for at least 20 yrs. Most of our friends use them. 

I'm going to try to be better about taking pictures each week.  I don't think Misfits has messed up any of my orders until now--I ordered 2 bunches of scallions and only got one and ordered 2 shishito peppers and only got one.  I notified them and was promptly credited.  Oh how I hate doing that.... I don't want to be cancelled like Imperfect did to me lol.

thumbnail_IMG_1851.jpg.44901d479389eb4d1bfa8becdab15019.jpg

This shrimp is really pretty good.  Very sweet.

thumbnail_IMG_1852.jpg.86058606dfa0a1227efc4231d489fead.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1856.jpg.99b57f5e6f632ca0fedd45eda1e03c4c.jpg

These looked really interesting 

thumbnail_IMG_1855.jpg.292dedc2e9c6727434304f45ee02f38e.jpg

They are SO good.  Salty--I simply added them to the salad we had last night.  Might be the only time I can ever order them but I'm glad I tried something new :) 

• Like 5
  • Delicious 1

2 minutes ago, weinoo said:

@Shelby

image.png.33e77b014df55dcefd891ca7cb4b2dda.png

That's a really interesting looking Romanesco...is it sold as Romanesco broccoli, or cauliflower?

It was sold as cauliflower.   I snapped a little piece of and it definitely tastes like cauliflower.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Shelby said:

It was sold as cauliflower.   I snapped a little piece of and it definitely tastes like cauliflower.

My favorite thing to do with that veg is the classic Roman soup with skate...Minestra di Broccoli e Arzilla

• Thanks 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog