• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Beyond Meat, Impossible Foods, etc.

rotuts

later two hits for the Team :

BMB.thumb.jpg.b051cc03d2eff1a198ae6175511f310d.jpg

went to Wagmans early this AM

went up stairs to the Meat Dept.  BMt is downstairs in the Fz , in a section called  " Meatless "

the brioche buns were fresh.  walked by the Fish section , the ammonia odors were impressive !

LTM on the burgers , once they thaw.  no bacon.  why sacrifice fine bacon ?

• Like 1

Im looking for The True Unadulterated Experience  of BB.

I decided to have one Burger Plain now.

BM1.thumb.jpg.a6d8e138b13ec5e0be9c4b7de731efab.jpg

the opened package

BM2.jpg.671eed1c717044be7aac1b3fbd8cae69.jpg

there is Sizzle !

BM3.thumb.jpg.444313957f94ef04530bcb6995aed31b.jpg

flipped @ 3 min.  package says 4 minutes a side.   note : some brown bits !

BM4.thumb.jpg.2ef3704f896081f5e4b3e0b8fd35df5a.jpg

the spatula after the flip.    ' drippings '  not bad.  no pea flavor so far

BM5.thumb.jpg.0233642f7c903539d55602835aa6f686.jpg

On the lightly toasted i.e. warmed up plain biroche bun.    note the ' cracklings '

BM6.thumb.jpg.95e847044f01c31667045f5d1116f28f.jpg

the cut burger.  no red beet juice bleeding.  3 min a side.  package says 4.

I was surprised that this tasted a lot more like beef than the IF @ BK.  granted that's a FF version.

the burger was not juicy , was a bit dry , but not overly so.   it tasted like beef much more than IF.

and the browned bits were tasty.

this still is not going to be a threat to BigBeef.

the back of the package says many interesting things , and a note from the Founder :

"we hope our plant based meats [sic] allow you and your family to eat more , not less of the traditional dishes you love.while feeling great about the 

health , sustainability and animal welfare benefits of plant protein. " my italics 

this burger costs $ 11 / lbs.   at a high end supermarket chain very near me , RocheBros.  Family owned with a fine meat service counter:

has 85 % ground beef  ( chuck )  ground regularly though out the day , that has real beef flavor,  

Its $ 7.00 a pound .   If I want a beef burger , Im happy to cook their meat

rare  .  the extra 4 $ a lbs  for BMt  I feel is a waste of  $ 4  with still a big sacrifice of flavor.

very very very few people, these days, would have that extra $ 4   , so that they can purchase some  ' feeling good "  food.

but there is a crowd that can afford to go out to eat and  order an egg white omelette in a restaurant.  This Beef is for You !

none the less , hype aside , Im pleased I tried this.    Full Burger Treatment for the remaining puck later today.

and  there are minimal lingering flavors on the palate w this puck , and those that linger are not offensive.

no Hoponius Uninon  Ice Cold right now.  after Eperiment # 2 :  for sure.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, rotuts said:

later two hits for the Team :

went to Wagmans early this AM

went up stairs to the Meat Dept.  BMt is downstairs in the Fz , in a section called  " Meatless "

the brioche buns were fresh.  walked by the Fish section , the ammonia odors were impressive !

LTM on the burgers , once they thaw.  no bacon.  why sacrifice fine bacon ?

Wow, I guess bad things happen when you get too far away from Rochester? I've NEVER smelled any hint of ammonia in a central or western NY Wegmans fish counter. And if I did, I'd be sending an email to the company asking what's up.

• Like 1

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

Experiment # 2 :

BB1.thumb.jpg.c09b6fd7e6e355126f811d10cc80c429.jpg

BB2.thumb.jpg.348523491048391dd0d60de33af786bc.jpg

toasted the bun so it had some crunch.  pickles , lettuce , tomato , red onion ,  mayo.

cooked the BB at a higher temp , for 2.5 minutes a side.  much better browning.

added the ' pan juices ' to the burger.  must be the saturated coconut oil

nice.  tasty .  but its not beef.  but acceptably close if you have any issues w ground beef.

If High End Fresh ground chuck is $ 7.00 a pound :   % 63.63  premium right here

if ground beef was $ 3.50 a pound :   % 314  premium.

did I " feel great "  as the CEO suggested i would ?

no. felt the same.  glad I tried it.  esp w all the fix'ns

so much easier and cheaper to eat less beef the eating less beef way.

is this a fad ?   doesnt look like a Hula hoop to me.

is there a market for this ?  of course .  there is a lot of disposable income floating around.

doubt, seriously doubt , in the long run , these products will be a success at FastFood outlets  McD , BK , etc.

its above their price-point , unless they have a surgical Microtome.

FF is cooking these up , as they are terrified of loosing " Traffic "

there is a good reason BK has the $1 Taco : traffic.

but if you are in the Market for this sort of stuff : , BeyondBeef is the preferable choice, as far as I can tell over IF

will I get these again ?

No.   I don't see the point.

there is a very small group that might fined BMt interesting :

those who observe Kosher.   this package has a K on it , and speaking to a friend 

who is kosher , that K might not be an acceptable level of kosher as there are several levels 

but its fine for them.

and he pointed out one thing Id forgotten , as im not kosher.

its parve , I think its called.

BMt w a nice char and a nice Bearnaise ?  

now your taking

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

I never looked at the instructions. Just sear them on each side on a very hot skillet, then turn the heat low and flip a few times during the next few minutes. If you time it right they're convincingly pink and juicy in the middle, with a pretty crisp sear on the outside.

I like to give a splash of worcestershire sauce on each side before cooking. Maybe this is cheating? It's worth it. Also, non-plant-based aged cheddar helps. 

• Like 1

Notes from the underbelly

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

and its moving to Chicken :

https://mashable.com/article/kfc-vegan-beyond-chicken-sold-out-atlanta/

I personally think  :

typing w your thumbs will have [ #)$Y#)$%&Y@)#R$+@# ] consequences

it creates impossibly short attention spans

I do enjoy the Economics of this new Fad

it will make a lot of people immensely rich 

but its not Chicken , nor is it Beef 

less of the above might be a good idea 

just get more flavorful  chicken , i.e. from Breese 

and top of the line Beef

based ohm your personal economic model.

but its a bit fun to see flocks of people whipped up into a frenzy 

of not so much.

if you have not read this book :

buy it , if its not in you public library :

https://www.amazon.com/Food-Rules-Eaters-Michael-Pollan/dp/014311638X/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=eat+food+%2C+not+too+much&qid=1567020488&s=gateway&sr=8-4

""  Eat Food , not too much , mostly Vegetables "

in a Nut Shell 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

"""   McDonald’s will test a new plant-based burger from Beyond Meat in 28 restaurants in Southwestern Ontario on Sept. 30, according to Reuters. The burger has a clever name: the P.L.T. (plant, lettuce and tomato). """

that's the GTA , right ?

maybe the LunchLadies will take a hit for The Team ?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, rotuts said:

"""   McDonald’s will test a new plant-based burger from Beyond Meat in 28 restaurants in Southwestern Ontario on Sept. 30, according to Reuters. The burger has a clever name: the P.L.T. (plant, lettuce and tomato). """

that's the GTA , right ?

Oh don't do that to them.

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, rotuts said:

that's the GTA , right ?

Ha...I tried to order a "Beyond Meat" at a McDo a couple of weeks ago.    "A WHAT???"    Maybe a vegiburger?     "Er, no, not that either."     Okay.   Went along with husband with a fishburger.    Will look forward to a BM on my next McDo visit, probably early next year or so...

• Haha 1

eGullet member #80.

For those playing along at home, Tim Horton's is pulling back from the Beyond Meat products in all locations outside of Ontario and BC. The burger was admittedly a bit incongruous within their product line, but the "sausage" product I thought worked well in their breakfast sandwiches and wraps.

A & W here (independent from, and reportedly much superior to, the US chain) still seems to be going gangbusters with them. The Harvey's hamburger chain has added the rival LightLife burger to its menu, in a recent development. It seems similar to the Beyond product in its ingredients, but is somewhat lower in fat and sodium. I haven't yet tried one, and when I do it will probably be from the supermarket rather than Harvey's (I'm not a fan). I'll report back, when it happens.

Edited to add a couple of afterthoughts, and a link:

1) Still no Impossible Burger in Canada

2) Harvey's had offered a conventional veggie burger for the past 20 years, and is *adding* the LightLife product rather than using it to replace the existing one. So yeah, two vegan options at the chain.

3) LightLife apparently is owned by Maple Leaf, one of the major meatpacking corporations up here.

http://strategyonline.ca/2019/09/05/harveys-adds-plant-based-lightlife-burger-to-the-menu/

Edited by chromedome (log)
  • Like 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

8 hours ago, demiglace said:

I wouldn’t count on it!😂

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Id look at it this way :

if the LunchLadies go w a ' very sharp knife "

cut the PLT in 1/2 ,   that's only 1/2 of a hit for each LL.

of course , they would be given full credit each for a full hit.

why not ?

8 minutes ago, demiglace said:

Hey I didn't say that.

Not sure how that happened.

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

6 minutes ago, rotuts said:

Id look at it this way :

if the LunchLadies go w a ' very sharp knife "

cut the PLT in 1/2 ,   that's only 1/2 of a hit for each LL.

of course , they would be given full credit each for a full hit.

why not ?

You are evil. 

8 minutes ago, rotuts said:

why not ?

Well how about the last time we took one for the team, I believe it was at Taco Bell, the product was so disgusting we still had to find somewhere to eat. We only get out for lunch once a week and I don’t think we’re going to waste it on a fake burger when we could have real calamari.😂

Edited by Anna N
Typo (log)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

My 2004 eG Blog