• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

China Food Deliveries

liuzhou

4 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

This was a somewhat unusual but good lunch.

IMG_20220923_124225.thumb.jpg.68e91b5f4f1e80b93343265e5e7d64e1.jpg

Herbed roast potatoes Chinese style.

IMG_20220923_124231.thumb.jpg.fd28eef35a11eeac57b5435291bfa218.jpg

Black truffle and wild shiitake soup. Damned good

IMG_20220923_132316.thumb.jpg.18a87ae46ad21df6f10a9bb268cc74f4.jpg

South African navel orange.

Those potatoes look really good. 

30 minutes ago, KennethT said:

What made the potatoes Chinese style?  Is that a sprig of rosemary?!?

The potatoes seem to have been marinated in garlic, ginger and soy sauce before being baked/roasted. I'm not sure. never seen such a preparation before.

I've been puzzling all afternoon what that herb is. For sure, not rosemary.

• Thanks 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

11 hours ago, liuzhou said:

The potatoes seem to have been marinated in garlic, ginger and soy sauce before being baked/roasted. I'm not sure. never seen such a preparation before.

I've been puzzling all afternoon what that herb is. For sure, not rosemary.

It looks kind of like lavender to me. 

Lunch 26th September 2022

lunch.thumb.jpg.eb8a5966e2e157c877b5a12455258953.jpg

1377122390_.thumb.jpg.ca5e7c90f366d11a6b6a76bd8641d124.jpg

韭黄炒肉 (jiǔ huáng chǎo ròu) - Hothouse Yellow Garlic Chives with Fried Pork

1495586950_.thumb.jpg.a5bb067f8c595bc90d571464d5c09315.jpg

鱼香肉丝 (yú xiāng ròu sī ) - Fish Fragant Stir Fried Pork Slivers with Black Fungus

Rice

• Like 6

29 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Stir fried on-the bone duck with pickled peppers, pickled onion, pickled ginger. Served with rice.

Wow. Hope it tasted as good as it looks and that you are regaining your strength and health. 

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Lunch

Best one yet.

I  received this message the night before from a dear friend who wanted to recommend a particular restaurant's delivery food.

明天午餐搭伙饭
猪脚焖莲藕
酸菜肉沫
菜花
汤:淮山骨头汤

Translation:

Lunch tomorrow.
Braised Lotus Root with Pork Feet
Chinese pickled vegetables* and minced meat
cauliflower
Soup: Huaishan bone soup

"That'll do me," I replied. At noon this arrived.

136190842_VikkiFull.thumb.jpg.0137a99ecf7a007b851ff3d73563109b.jpg

Top left is the soup

927400702_VikkiSoup.thumb.jpg.148c9f715dd4fe3ff93980d71f741ead.jpg

Huaishan (淮山 - huái shān) is the name of a prized type of Chinese yam. Also known as 山药 (shān yao) or Dioscorea opposita. The pork bone based soup also contained goji berries and Chinese date.

2061895278_VikkisLunch-Full-Soup.thumb.jpg.a734b46f369646c72130cc57a7ce5c46.jpg

The main food is clockwise from top left. Stir fried greens with garlic (subbed for the cauliflower);  Chinese pickled vegetables* and minced meat As always 'meat', unless specified otherwise, means pork'; rice; braised lotus root with pork feet.

Everything was cooked perfectly.

* The Chinese pickled vegetables are known in Chinese as 酸菜 (suān cài - literally sour (pickled) vegetables, predominatly cabbage). It is sometimes translated as Chinese sauerkraut which, I suppose, it resembles. It is also believed to be the origin of kimchi by everyone except the Koreans who insist they invented it without anyone else's assistance, than you very much! The fact that it is recorded in China centuries before in Korea is, no doubt, clerical error.

• Like 9

40 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Best one yet.

I suspect that people who have never been seriously ill can have little idea of how important food becomes to nourish so much more than the body. Glad you have friends who recognize this. 

• Like 7

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Lunch today

271141219_ThaiStyleSpringRolls.thumb.jpg.baf529ca0f1aa54633c903dfb1628f73.jpg

These were billed as Thai Style Spring Rolls. Not at all bad. They they were filled with a curried minced pork mixture with separate carrots and black wood tree fungus. The little pot to the side contained a sweetish chilli sauce.

I'm told there is a new Thai restaurant in the local food hall, which has been rated highly by my correspondent who knows her Thai. Unfortunately, it isn't doing deliveries, yet. But I wasn't disappointed by these in the meantime.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 7

Dinner

Shrimp and Squid Fried Rice

I wasn't sure about ordering this. So many places overcook the squid, but I took a chance. It was a fraction more cooked than I would have preferred but acceptable; the shrimp were perfect.

1829821505_PrawnandSquidFriedRice.thumb.jpg.00c722adedadaae582091e6a564d0229.jpg

Followed by a Chocolate Lava Mooncake I had kicking around from Mid-Autumn Festival.

1465014258_LavaMovement.thumb.jpg.e49c904784bfd5d6961b702b01e00808.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 8

On 9/28/2022 at 3:19 AM, Anna N said:

I suspect that people who have never been seriously ill can have little idea of how important food becomes to nourish so much more than the body. 

You are so right on that!

• Like 1

Another day, another lunch. A popular dish locally.

584369253_.thumb.jpg.fd7a8755b50c7c1f9fd1456e4acaa616.jpg

黄豆焖鱼仔,稻香米饭,紫菜蛋花汤 (huáng dòu mèn yú zǎi,  dào xiāng mǐ fàn,  zǐ cài dàn huā tāng).

Braised Fish with Yellow Soybeans, Paddy Fragrant Rice, Seaweed Egg Drop Soup (badly photographed as ever).

1532411543_.thumb.jpg.ce54c46afe9690971472c7fd722230ef.jpg

(also Included tomato, garlic, ginger,chilli (red and green)

One of my favourites.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, KennethT said:

what is paddy fragrant rice? Is it a variety of rice or a cooking method?

It means fresh from the paddy rice as opposed to aged rice. Mainly a meaningless marketing phrase, I suspect.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Thanks 2

Today for lunch, I decided to give the squid another go. Slightly different preparation.

This was billed as 爆炒香鱿鱼 I 游刃有余 (bào chǎo xiāng yóu yú  I  yóu rèn yǒu yú). The first part simply means "Stir fried tasty squid", althought the first two characters literally mean "exploding fried" which refers to very high heat stir frying. The second part is self praise for their knife skills, which, to be honest, aren't that impressive! Not bad, but not worthy of mention. I can do just as well, if not better.

702750752_squidandrice.thumb.jpg.adbf91d2e3884b8a572866717576b04c.jpg

The flavour was good though and again the squid not overcooked. Ingredients were squid, fresh green peppers, dried red peppers, Chinese celery, ginger, garlic, Shaoxing wine. If there was soy sauce in there it was a tiny amount.

squid.thumb.jpg.c3150d719c5c6004b85792919c901c85.jpg

Note: When I order, there is a box to click if you don't want the usual accompanying set of disposal cutlery - disposable bamboo chopsticks, plastic spoon, toothpick and napkin. I guess people at work or similar situations need such, but I'm at home now fully equipped. In hospital, I needed them. When I went mad in hospital and ordered a pizza, that came with a plastic knife and fork.

cutlery.thumb.jpg.db5158a97ee1cc258f713482db1275c4.jpg

However, they always ignore this request and send the damn things anyway - despite the request being clearly marked on the delivery note.

I have read that Beijing alone gets through 2 million of these every day. I dread to think what the whole country gets through! Beijing isn't even the largest city.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, liuzhou said:

disposable bamboo chopsticks, plastic spoon, toothpick and napkin

Except for the toothpick, which we do not get, yours look almost identical to ours when we order the appropriate meal delivery. Our requests to forgo this collection of waste falls on equally deaf ears. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My 2004 eG Blog