• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Imperfect, Misfit, Etc. (The Food Delivery Services)

Chris Hennes

Both Misfits and Imperfect yesterday.

Misfits

thumbnail_IMG_1140.jpg.f9008a187130ad487a12bc6a76196811.jpg

Everything in good shape.  A fruit salad will be made later today.

Imperfect

thumbnail_IMG_1141.jpg.fadf37a64eb94c858a266c611718bf78.jpg

I about lost my mind last weekend.  Logged on to do my shopping and O M G FRESH FIGS!!!!!  I was floored.  I put three lbs in my cart figuring there was no way they would actually ship them and if they did, what kind of shape they would be in.  They are GOOD.

thumbnail_IMG_1142.jpg.9f7068da9ba14e8457477b90a413e7ee.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1143.jpg.86d07928ca15adef14b79dd328c4dabb.jpg

There are a few soft ones which, in discussing with my mom, we decided a quick fig jam type thing would work well.  I know I have to eat these quickly, but HOW fun is this???  ***I assume everyone knows my obsession with fresh figs that I very rarely get lol.

• Like 9
  • Delicious 1

11 minutes ago, Shelby said:

I assume everyone knows my obsession with fresh figs that I very rarely get lol.

Of course - weren't you also lusting after musk-type melons?  

Was wondering then if either of the two services offers them?

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

5 minutes ago, weinoo said:

Of course - weren't you also lusting after musk-type melons?  

Was wondering then if either of the two services offers them?

They might....I haven't looked.  I have an Imperfect order to place today so I'll check it out.  I'm spoiled, though, because we've grown our own and they are so good.  Might luck out and get a good store bought one, you never know.

Is anyone else finding that Imperfect's selection has gotten sparse and expensive recently? I've skipped the last few weeks because the fruit selection, in particular, has seemed sad and overpriced. But maybe I am just spoiled for choice locally right now. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

When is a flaugnarde not a flaugnarde?    When it's a claufouti.    Although even the French willingly debate this.

From the stuff I've researched and read, it seemed as if clafoutis was the traditional term when the fruit was black cherries. 

But we all know what happens with tradition.

Tasty Travails - My Blog

Precisely.    The discussion can get quite heated, particularly at a dinner party where the hostess presents a pear "claufouti" to claufouti traditionalists after a substantial amount of wine has been consumed.   Only, of course, it they are all on close terms and such banter is expected. 

• Haha 2

eGullet member #80.

I snap a quick pic of just about every veg box that runs through the sink rinse. I can plan a meal from work, or look at the local meat share box to see what I have in the freezer....in my photo file. 

Misfits and local Walden. 

misfits 4.13.2020.jpeg

WALDON-1-2021.png

Edited by Annie_H (log)
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I've been lax about taking pictures.  This was last weeks Imperfect.  Tomatillos! 

thumbnail_IMG_1197.jpg.2c278b7fff59fb693a0efd3ed8d42c90.jpg

Yesterdays box had a couple ears of corn that I was skeptical about, but it was good.  Oh and Concord grapes.  My favorite grapes.  

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Shelby said:

Oh and Concord grapes.  My favorite grapes.  

Mine too.  The local stores have not had Concord grapes in years.  I even planted a couple vines, but the plants never set fruit.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

13 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

The local stores have not had Concord grapes in years.

Yes, these tend to be a farmer's market thing, since they're so perishable. There are a couple of newer hybrid varieties I do see in stores, but nowhere near as good as a good Concord.

• Like 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

5 hours ago, weinoo said:

Yes, these tend to be a farmer's market thing, since they're so perishable. There are a couple of newer hybrid varieties I do see in stores, but nowhere near as good as a good Concord.

I was unaware the old concords are not available. We get our fill from some we put in the garden 25yrs ago. Not much. 20 pounds maybe. I'm terrible at pruning and tending. The seeds are horribly toxic to dogs so I have to fence the whole thing during ripening. 

Question about those that use FreshDirect. They have been around some 20 years and many friends have used them that long. I tried the first time last year first days of lockdown and we were pleased. Then no delivery dates were/have been available for months so gave up. Just checked and they seem back to normal but reviews are not so great. (maybe pandemic related?). I realize so many complain for various reasons due to circumstances out of the suppliers control. Wondering if it is risky to order certain things like oysters. 

We have been using Baldor since they announced in the NYTimes they would deliver residential mid-March 2020. I fear they may stop that soon being a 'restaurant delivery only' pre-pandemic. We would see their trucks early AM all over NYC for years. We have ordered consistency every two-three months since the beginning. No delivery charges but the minimum is high. No issues there since we stock the pantry like a Costco haul. (only have used Costco insta-cart twice...when t-p came back in stock... and Amazon twice). Insta-cart add-on fees really add up. I appreciate all the shoppers and delivery but not thrilled with how insta-cart treats their shoppers. 

Baldor has excellent product, customer service and the delivery drivers are over the top accommodating. Thrilled to keep their jobs during all this mess. NYC restaurant chef are picky and check everything as it comes in the door. 

Edited by Annie_H (log)

We used instacart during the height of pandemic fear (as opposed to the actual disease peak). I supposed if I was housebound instacart would be adequate, but otherwise no. The shoppers sub without asking or just plain misidentified  products.  (Crescent rolls are not biscuits).

And they have a surcharge if the product is heavy. Like a big bottle of soda. 

• Confused 1

31 minutes ago, Annie_H said:

Question about those that use FreshDirect.

I use Fresh Direct almost weekly...I did have a standing reservation, but now I don't find the need for one; paid in advance, there are no extra delivery charges for deliveries Tue - Thurs. I think it was like $30 or $35 for a 6-month delivery pass, but don't quote me, and I always choose the earliest delivery time (7 - 9 AM).

As far as seafood goes, I find better quality during the winter months for the stuff I order. I just think handling can be a little tricky when it's 80 or 90 degrees out. I've gotten very good scallops, and not so good scallops. I've gotten great wild gulf shrimp, and not so great wild gulf shrimp. I don't remember ordering any finfish, and I have not ordered any live clams, mussels, oysters from them. Last year I did get some great live lobsters when they were running a sale. Anything I don't like, credit is issued no questions asked.

During its handling, everything is kept in a very cold environment, which isn't the best thing for stuff like tomatoes, avos, peaches, etc. but it's what they have to do.

I've had good luck with meat, pork, chicken - ordering heritage, local stuff.  They work with a number of Hudson Valley and Pennsylvania farms for some of the produce and proteins.

They also carry my favorite pasta brand and certain jarred tomatoes I like. Knishes, bialys, bagels from a favorite bagel place (all frozen) arrive in perfect condition.

Baldor is, well, Baldor. As you say, it's a restaurant distributor, so they know what they're doing - but it's not as if they are going to the farmer's market and picking stuff out for you.

Have you tried Chef Collective or Natoora or Fellow Farmer? I'm a big fan of Chef Collective - their cheeses and dairy are great; Natoora is also excellent for what they do - but expensive. I was using Fellow Farmer a lot during the early lockdown stage...at this point, I'm doing more in-person shopping.

• Like 2

Tasty Travails - My Blog

46 minutes ago, gfweb said:

We used instacart during the height of pandemic fear (as opposed to the actual disease peak). I supposed if I was housebound instacart would be adequate, but otherwise no. The shoppers sub without asking or just plain misidentified  products.  (Crescent rolls are not biscuits).

And they have a surcharge if the product is heavy. Like a big bottle of soda. 

Experiences vary depending on location and the shoppers you get. Mine were always "on it" - texting me alternates or requests for clarification - usually woth images attached. No surcharges. I've spoken to them at the market and found them to be an enjoyable mix of interesting people. They seem to evelop a rapport woith the store personnel Standing in line behind one - not so fun esp with multiple orders and limited cashiers/baggers now.

On 9/5/2021 at 3:07 PM, weinoo said:

Baldor is, well, Baldor. As you say, it's a restaurant distributor, so they know what they're doing - but it's not as if they are going to the farmer's market and picking stuff out for you.

Have you tried Chef Collective or Natoora or Fellow Farmer? I'm a big fan of Chef Collective - their cheeses and dairy are great; Natoora is also excellent for what they do - but expensive. I was using Fellow Farmer a lot during the early lockdown stage...at this point, I'm doing more in-person shopping.

Thank you for taking the time. And the links I'm not familiar with. Baldor does have a local Hudson Valley section. They seem to have a good relationship with farms. Friends that use FreshDirect say, as you did, unpredictable for perishables and prefer to shop the neighborhood in person. Excellent for pantry staples. Heavy crap. 

I passed for now. Have a cart going with AmazonWFoods. I'll survive without some oysters until the holidays. Even Fairway years past, the fresh clams were only great looking, in person, once-twice a year. And we had a surly jerk behind the seafood and meat counter. Cheese monger was excellent. 

I agree that instacart is problematic but I had shoppers that texted me with pics and possible substitutions....even a pic of NYStrip package choices. So yes, it varies. But looking back, what a godsend to have had the services when we needed it. (9 dollars for a heavy load like three gallons of water is a bit much)...they drive up to my garage door....and does the shopper get the extra tip?...heavy charge?. I had trouble getting filter cartages for a bit. My RO system was testing fine but needed changing. The purchased water gallons tested horrible, lol. Just on the edge of acceptable. We did change our own filters eventually and it works so much better than the 'expert' home visit guys....via y-tube trouble shooting. 

I did order I-Gourmet once but the 'silver palate' seemed excessive high-brow with lack of appetite early 2020. Pate and HomboltFog. SuperMarketItaly many know about was a better fit for on-line shopping. 

Imperfect this week.  My Misfits is two days late.  Supposed to be here today....we will see what kind of shape it's in.

thumbnail_IMG_1242.jpg.bf59a9d79adf9ea3ea6c141d51abc96b.jpg

I was able to get one more box of concord--or Thomcord grapes.  They are SO GOOD.

thumbnail_IMG_1239.jpg.79989304176730c06f64e5c6d115688b.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1240.jpg.98553b50e8ba7c09b3c66e2072408ab1.jpg

This was in the clamshell with the grapes

thumbnail_IMG_1241.jpg.774abcce81df85925d8c63094d23558e.jpg

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Shelby said:

I was able to get one more box of concord--or Thomcord grapes.  They are SO GOOD.

Yeah - this is the hybrid I was thinking about above...delicious.  I still buy true Concords when I (rarely) see them; their season is quite short.

These Thomcords, a cross between Thompson seedless and Concord, are able to take the heat of California and have a tougher skin. True Concords can't deal with that heat. The Concord parent grapes (Catawba & Delaware) makes very nice pet nat and still wines...being produced in the Finger Lakes region (and in very small quantities so far).

I look forward to their Concord grape wine!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

28 minutes ago, weinoo said:

Yeah - this is the hybrid I was thinking about above...delicious.  I still buy true Concords when I (rarely) see them; their season is quite short.

These Thomcords, a cross between Thompson seedless and Concord, are able to take the heat of California and have a tougher skin. True Concords can't deal with that heat. The Concord parent grapes (Catawba & Delaware) makes very nice pet nat and still wines...being produced in the Finger Lakes region (and in very small quantities so far).

I look forward to their Concord grape wine!

I would LOVE  to have some of that wine.  Mental note to keep checking.  That is if they can ship to KS.  KS has weird laws.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Shelby said:

I would LOVE  to have some of that wine.  Mental note to keep checking.  That is if they can ship to KS.  KS has weird laws.

The laws are crazy, but this appears to be fairly current (2020):

Kansas: Winery direct shipping permitted, up to 12 cases per year; retailer shipping prohibited.

• Thanks 2

Tasty Travails - My Blog