• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Imperfect, Misfit, Etc. (The Food Delivery Services)

Chris Hennes

33 minutes ago, weinoo said:

My favorite thing to do with that veg is the classic Roman soup with skate...Minestra di Broccoli e Arzilla

That might just be the perfect idea!  I'd have to sub the skate with crappie.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, gfweb said:

Imperfect really seems to be changing its method of delivery. And a lot of other things.

Look at all the jobs they list.  Seems a bad time for mass hiring of truck drivers though.

https://jobs.lever.co/imperfectfoods

Terrible time to need to hire that many drivers!

3 hours ago, gfweb said:

Imperfect really seems to be changing its method of delivery. And a lot of other things.

Look at all the jobs they list.  Seems a bad time for mass hiring of truck drivers though.

https://jobs.lever.co/imperfectfoods

Those seem like they may cover every region they operate in -- given turnover these days, they may just be standing requisitions to cover turnover.

Looking at the detail, their drivers deliver "up to 150 boxes per shift" -- if it's an 8 hour shift, that's almost 20 an hour! I would imagine they have some turnover given that pace...

• Like 1

19 hours ago, dtremit said:

Those seem like they may cover every region they operate in -- given turnover these days, they may just be standing requisitions to cover turnover.

Looking at the detail, their drivers deliver "up to 150 boxes per shift" -- if it's an 8 hour shift, that's almost 20 an hour! I would imagine they have some turnover given that pace...

and the boxes are big/awkward to carry

On 1/30/2022 at 10:02 AM, gfweb said:

and the boxes are big/awkward to carry

I wish they had perforated punch handles on each side. I just take outside my fabric insulated handled bags from the local meat share and divide into pantry, freezer, and crisper/fridge. Leave the boxes on the porch for recycling. Saving the foil insulated bags for the food pantry. 

I had to try the sea beans as well. Crunchy and salty like the sea. I just keep forgetting I have them. Sushi planned tonight so need to remember to pull them out. 

I was religious about photographing the unboxing until recently. It really helps menu planning to have the loot in my photo file. And to check what is missing. 

Misfits gives a couple days to add and delete before shipping. My next box is only veg, no pantry. Except for a bag of organic brown rice from the penny shop. I really need the 3 bunches of scallions but that is one thing they often screw up. Multiples of any one item. 

The fermented jar of seaweed salad is from another vendor from an order of oysters and lobster. 

Big box of veg for 50 bucks including shipping...

I still have another giant watermelon radish, and a red pepper, most of the fennel, cucumbers for salads and slaws for now.

Screen Shot 2022-02-02 at 1.17.50 PM.png

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Annie_H said:

I wish they had perforated punch handles on each side. I just take outside my fabric insulated handled bags from the local meat share and divide into pantry, freezer, and crisper/fridge. Leave the boxes on the porch for recycling. Saving the foil insulated bags for the food pantry. 

I had to try the sea beans as well. Crunchy and salty like the sea. I just keep forgetting I have them. Sushi planned tonight so need to remember to pull them out. 

I was religious about photographing the unboxing until recently. It really helps menu planning to have the loot in my photo file. And to check what is missing. 

Misfits gives a couple days to add and delete before shipping. My next box is only veg, no pantry. Except for a bag of organic brown rice from the penny shop. I really need the 3 bunches of scallions but that is one thing they often screw up. Multiples of any one item. 

The fermented jar of seaweed salad is from another vendor from an order of oysters and lobster. 

Big box of veg for 50 bucks including shipping...

I still have another giant watermelon radish, and a red pepper, most of the fennel, cucumbers for salads and slaws for now.

Screen Shot 2022-02-02 at 1.17.50 PM.png

Aren't the sea beans sooooo good????  I could just sit and eat them out of the package..but there aren't very many of them lol.

21 hours ago, Shelby said:

Aren't the sea beans sooooo good????  I could just sit and eat them out of the package..but there aren't very many of them lol.

We have been snacking the sea beans as a garnish. Had some with sushi and dumplings last night. I'm not usually tempted by oddities but glad I did. I stock a few dried seaweeds and bonito flakes having a great shelf life...but yes, a really good fresh crunchy treat.

My Misfits box came a day early, 🤪. I was not prepared but dealt with it. Gorgeous and so fresh...they sent double cilantro and extra purple sweet potatoes---both were small so they doubled. Three giant leeks. Huge celery with a boat load of tender leaves. 

Thought a perfect box---then just realized they left out the avocados. 🙄. Bummer. I've been ordering the bag of six minis. Always firm and ripen over 10-12 days but not all at once. Very dense for their size, so easy to judge and fridge the few that are a bit soft. 

Three big bunches of scallions! 

IMG_2341.jpeg

Edited by Annie_H (log)
  • Like 5

My Misfits box always comes on Friday by Fedex.  Had 5" or so of snow on Thursday.  I kind of figured they wouldn't deliver (meanwhile, UPS had no problem coming both Thurs. and Fri.).  Got a notification that they would deliver today, however, I never got word that it was on the truck for delivery and now it says there is an exception.  Sigh.  It will be a miracle if everything is still in good shape if and when it gets here.  I'm going to miss the heck out of my veggies this week--but maybe it will get here tomorrow and it will all be ok.  Hope springs eternal.

On the upside, Misfits is selling wine now!!!  Lots of selection.  Sold in groups of 3 or 6.  Average price seems to be about $16 a bottle.  Just placed an order for 6 bottles.  We will see how that goes :) 

• Like 1

^it is an impressive wine selection. We are well stocked via our local. I was hoping for a two-buck-chuck type white or red for cooking. 

(five buck Misfit). Interesting they went that direction. Excellent prices as far as I noticed. 

• Like 1

My Misfits that was supposed to be here Friday got delivered last night.  I've been checking the status repeatedly and it kept saying that there was an Exception.  Yesterday morning at like 4:42 it said it was loaded on the truck and then at 4:50 it said Exception again.  So, I was shocked when the Fedex person was on the porch.  Even more shocked when I opened the box to find every thing in great shape!

IMG_1901.thumb.jpg.e1e77bda74a82225c4da7138db904db5.jpg

IMG_E1900.thumb.jpg.f4571954a0489cf356eeba1aca4da4ef.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Looking forward to the white romanesco. No plans to order for another week but will postpone if a storm is predicted. Or order a few days early. My herb box from MountainRose is a week late from Oregon due to last weeks storm. Tracking still shows a red, (!)

• Sad 1

10 day weather looks good for most across the board. I've been sending a box to my parents and MIL/SIL about once a month. Last two weeks were sketchy due to winter storms. 

My herb box is bulk dry spice so no worries there. 

I overbought a tad on Misfits. Box arrived a day late, ice packs still partially frozen, all that was thawed too much to refreeze was shrimp, which will be dinner tonight.

Baking stuff:

20220210_141315.thumb.jpg.ac0f3832407591b0ea90c6d808f13efb.jpg

More cheese. Guess Super Bowl snacks will include cheese n crackers. And passage, chorizo, Italian sausage, pork chops, and a chicken. Oh, and some more cod.

20220210_140225.thumb.jpg.bb44f5f9cff276618921a676f30f2b19.jpg

Broccoli, onions, carrots, two zucchini, a cucumber, green onions.

20220210_140216.thumb.jpg.09ec7b6b6636c01399805fcd8e323310.jpg

Apples, tangerines, cherry tomatoes, lemons, limes, corn.

20220210_140208.thumb.jpg.5e18303d02f777f7dc9b025ada236c7e.jpg

The larder is well-stocked in advance or surgery, though it remains to be seen how I'll cope with cooking.

Edited by kayb (log)
  • Like 5

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

@kaybHave you posted about your surgery and I missed it!  I hope it goes well--I'll be thinking of you!

I, too, overbought because I figured my missing shipment wouldn't be any good if it even got here...but it was great.  No biggie.  We will just eat a lot of veggies this week

IMG_1914.thumb.jpg.52f884710e648d17a672f52b969698d9.jpg

Nothing major, but I ordered 3 bunches of scallions which I didn't get.  I guess instead they included 3 bags of those sweet peppers.  My mom roasts them and just eats them like that so I'll do some to see if we like them.  The rest I'll cut up and freeze.  Don't judge the oatmeal.  It was a penny :)

IMG_1915.thumb.jpg.a1cc5d583408c30e0a96b3cb0ed32520.jpg

And more sea beans.  Yay!

• Like 2

@ShelbyI can't do bell peppers as they repeat on me, Not painful at all but not worth it. Green worst of course. But those little sweet peppers you show are so dang cute I caved when they'd have them - that size bag - for $1 at 99cent store. Try them as dippers with any of your Suoer Bowl dairy based dips. 

• Thanks 1

I subscribed to both Misfits and Imperfect for a short while a year or so ago. I stopped because of delivery and quality issues--mainly that things weren't kept cold/frozen with Imperfect and I think it was quality with Misfits.

I have been getting emails from Imperfect at least twice a week wanting me to come back--significant discounts on the first 2 orders. I got one that talked about all the improvements they have made in both quality and shipping. I have to wonder if their business is hurting. I suppose it might be since people are out shopping more now than they were when COVID was worse.

I don't hear anything from Misfits, so I guess they don't miss me. LOL!

I see all the photos here and it makes me think about it!

• Like 3

Deb

Liberty, MO

Misfits (guess I don't need to specify which company anymore since Imperfect dumped me)

thumbnail_IMG_1976.jpg.b7defdcf25af727f48b689bd839da8c2.jpg

This was in the penny section.  We'll see if it goes straight in the trash lol

thumbnail_IMG_1977.jpg.29a624f2f8a0a8b252f87455fe7ea298.jpg

Hoping the blood oranges are good  AND I got some boneless thighs so I can make @Kim Shook's chicken Karaage :)

thumbnail_IMG_1978.jpg.eb1fa261fa5f8daecbb70292d8fc99ba.jpg

• Like 4

On 2/19/2022 at 8:58 AM, Maison Rustique said:

I subscribed to both Misfits and Imperfect for a short while a year or so ago. I stopped because of delivery and quality issues--mainly that things weren't kept cold/frozen with Imperfect and I think it was quality with Misfits.

I totally get that. We had a dozen or more friends and co-workers sign up early lock-down 2020. Most have stuck with it being so easy to suspend even for a few months during summer local farmers markets. 

Misfits had some growing pains and supply issues---boxes, ice packs, trucking etc. Seems to be worked out now.

My next box is all veg, no pantry or 'cold pack' items. Friday delivery. 

Sending my parents a box this week that is mostly cheese, cold cuts, granola, egg bites, breads, snacks...chips, humus, salsa, chocolates, dried fruit...family and caretakers around all day. Grazing snacks seem to be welcome judging by previous boxes. Slicing and dicing veg is not going to happen. Housekeeper does not mind making a sandwich or a cheese platter snack. 

My winter boxes have been fresh and better than what I get locally. 

I'm a pretty good shopper selecting the heartier greens and veg that have a long storage time. Persian cukes and chard or tender veg I use first. 

Misfits seems to be 'transparent'. Not shy to be interviewed and the CBS Sunday morning interview with farmers put them on the map. 

The customer service is over-the-top responsive. One avocado instead of the bag of six...immediately taken off my invoice no questions...so the one avocado is free. Things I did not order like olive oil...keep it, it was a packing mistake, yada yada. 

• Like 2

On 2/21/2022 at 3:34 PM, Shelby said:

Hoping the blood oranges are good 

We got some good ones from Misfits recently, though they were in a ~3lb bag. The bag advertised them as "Raspberry Oranges" which I found myself weirdly offended by 🤣

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

My box came a day early. We are happy as are the pantry and crisper. I let things get a bit dismal to almost bare before filling back up and ordering again. Big braised beef stew last night used up most of the loot from a couple weeks ago. Another master kombu dash stock maybe tomorrow using up the past box remainder veg. 

I did not order the kimchi sauce or even see it on their selections. Seems more often I get an odd freebie. 

Gorgeous cilantro, odd asparagus. Chive thin, lol. But I cut the bottoms a 1/4 inch and set into water and snacked on them. Really good!

Puzzling how to proceed into a meal. 

Maybe sousVide feta/spinach/asparagus egg cups. Or a frittata....

No fruit or cold pack this trip. 

Miso carton I would never purchase as I have the traditional pastes. But sent my parents and sister visiting them a big treat box....mostly cheeses, butter, cold cuts, breads....some veg and lots of fruit. (I need to taste test the miso broth to help them with recipe additions...sister should know).  I sent three boxes so if they hate it I will have something when I visit next week. 

Carrots, potatoes, Persian cukes, limes...not pictured. Still in the box outside. 

MISFITS PANTRY 2-22.png

Edited by Annie_H (log)
  • Like 2