• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Imperfect, Misfit, Etc. (The Food Delivery Services)

Chris Hennes

8 minutes ago, Annie_H said:

Regalis is insanely impressive. Soft shells, fiddleheads, (appeared this morning but sold out fast). If I did not have the weekend planned I would have jumped this morning. Many mushroom varieties. Need to open those e-mails asap. 

Thanks for the Regalis link. Enticing!

Misfits is pedestrian compared to Regalis but I need my staples. Cold pack I put away right from the box---cheeses, butter, sausages and lamb chops, etc. Salads and cabbage not pictured. 

We have a couple events next month. Anniversary and B-day. We usually have live lobsters, shrimp and oysters. I can up that game with Regalis. 

Looking forward to it.

I did not see the fine print on the cornichones--'sweet' and spicy. Bummer. They had the un-spiced. Hopefully someone will like them. I can spice my own with chili crisp but the 'sweet' might put me off. I've always liked threeLittlePigs. 

The bay leaves I did not order and not charged. But I could use them nearly out. Not sure why that keeps happening---freebies. 

Screen Shot 2022-05-24 at 4.04.56 PM.png

• Like 2

On 5/25/2022 at 2:53 PM, heidih said:

Thanks for the Regalis link. Enticing!

That came initially from Weinoo. I immediately signed up for their e-mails. We no longer go out for special occasions. We like to be home and cook together. Big splurge. Try new things. I came across Regalis years ago looking for cod tongues but they call it different so I lost the link. Theirs are salted/cured and I prefer fresh.

Soft shell crabs are a childhood favorite. 

Edited by Annie_H (log)
  • Like 1

The piquant pickles are not that bad. The spice has a nice subtle kick. Not too sweet and still 'pickle-y'. Will not purchase again but no issues using them. Went into a tuna salad and a weekend bbq potato salad. Just a few. 

IMG_3228.jpeg

• Like 3

Last weeks:

thumbnail_IMG_2445-1.jpg.16e282578930de376d5b56b90cf4d004.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_2446-1.jpg.6f0c65306ddaefffe58225063f2e3286.jpg

The soups were 2 for 99 cents.  I couldn't resist.  Ronnie will eat these for lunches in his man-garage.  The little pickles are good.

Yesterday:

thumbnail_IMG_2489.jpg.903ae1c87ed29587e550e902950def17.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_2490.jpg.61fd2e78f6893ccd74bb29aad0deca01.jpg

I cut up the peppers and vac packed them.  They are handy to pull from the freezer.  Coleslaw will be used to make egg rolls soon.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Shelby said:

Last weeks:

thumbnail_IMG_2445-1.jpg.16e282578930de376d5b56b90cf4d004.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_2446-1.jpg.6f0c65306ddaefffe58225063f2e3286.jpg

The soups were 2 for 99 cents.  I couldn't resist.  Ronnie will eat these for lunches in his man-garage.  The little pickles are good.

Yesterday:

thumbnail_IMG_2489.jpg.903ae1c87ed29587e550e902950def17.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_2490.jpg.61fd2e78f6893ccd74bb29aad0deca01.jpg

I cut up the peppers and vac packed them.  They are handy to pull from the freezer.  Coleslaw will be used to make egg rolls soon.

Two bags of limes.  Good.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

3 minutes ago, Maison Rustique said:

@Shelby, remind me if it is Misfits or Imperfect that you still get? I keep wondering if I should give Imperfect another try. They send me deals to come back all the time.

I can only get Misfits.  I'd still do both if I could.....Imperfect quit delivering to my area.

• Like 1

Really need to watch the weight when comparing prices. I had 'hands-on-hips' for a brief moment when I saw my artichoke hearts on Amazon for slightly cheaper than Misfits. Then saw the Amazon was 1.42 ounces and Misfits is 6 ounces, lol. Ordering tomorrow 3 of those and more lamb sausage. 

DH loves the artichokes. Just tender halved baby artichokes and no cheap oil weight like the jars. 

Poshi brand. Amazon price is 14$ for total 7.5 ounces. Misfits is 12$ for 18 ounces. 

• Like 1

Today's haul: fewer veggies since it's garden and farmers market season. 

20220608_130854.thumb.jpg.97cd91a98012c90f2e6c9f844d8e009d.jpg

Pantry stuff, including cornichons. Tomato paste, popcorn and cookie brittle, along with balsamic glaze and two kinds of tuna in olive oil. And a tin of holiday shortbread (hoping it doesn't date from Christmas!)

20220608_130902.thumb.jpg.770a7adeae4c212774f3b1d359b147de.jpg

Meat choices. Mahi, pork chops (stacked), merguez, chicken breasts and thighs.

Not pictured, two kinds of apples, pears. Lemons, limes, and green onions.

That ran, to the best of my recollection, just over $100.

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

The pickles are good. I stocked up on the Mutti tomato paste. I just check the dates but always seem long and fine. It is the 'penny shop' items that might have a short shelf best-buy date. Groceries will not take those pantry staples. 

Big one delivered today. 3 boxes, lol. That is a first but we are grill/smoking again this weekend so I ordered two tiny pasture raised chickens. Butter, cheeses from Vermont Creamery. Vegetables/fruits we can't grow in our climate. Garden is not producing abundance yet. 

I will not have fruit from my trees until late summer/fall. 

Pantry items are a no-brainer. I cycle through pretty quickly. Handy in small quantity. Olives , etc

Stock from smoked chickens is divine. 

Making a big batch of rhubarb bbq sauce cleaning out the crisper making room for the new veg. Should get about a dozen half pints for the summer in the freezer. 

No pics as it is similar to any above pic posts. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Annie_H said:

Garden is not producing abundance yet. 

I will not have fruit from my trees until late summer/fall. 

You have a garden and fruit trees in New York City???

I think Weinoo needs to look at moving to your neighbourhood

p

49 minutes ago, palo said:

You have a garden and fruit trees in New York City???

I think Weinoo needs to look at moving to your neighbourhood

p

NYC is known as "The Big Apple" for a fruit reason.  https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2022/04/18/the-four-hundred-year-old-fruit-that-built-new-york

Dozens of urban farms and gardens all over the city. I got the garden bug in my first Greenpoint loft with a big back rooftop deck. 

That said, I have a small farm in the Catskills. 50+ years ago it was a working dairy farm. 

Screen Shot 2022-06-10 at 7.51.59 AM.png

• Like 3

@Maison Rustique — some eG’ers on the East Coast have reported significant quality problems with Misfits. However, @Shelby (Kansas) and I (Arkansas) have both been very pleased with quality. I think it may depend on which distribution center your order comes from, and I’d venture you would draw from the same one she and I do.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

5 minutes ago, kayb said:

@Maison Rustique — some eG’ers on the East Coast have reported significant quality problems with Misfits. However, @Shelby (Kansas) and I (Arkansas) have both been very pleased with quality. I think it may depend on which distribution center your order comes from, and I’d venture you would draw from the same one she and I do.

I tried both of them at least a year ago--maybe longer--and had problems. Mostly with shipping and temperature. Meats would arrive defrosted and lukewarm. Produce would be battered by stuff sitting on them or knocking around in the box. I cancelled but now see such great stuff that'd I'd consider giving it another try if they have improved.

Deb

Liberty, MO

Misfits is very responsive if anything is not satisfactory. Removed from your cost without a pic or questioned. Use the code for 10$ off.

COOKWME-WV5KVC

I've only used Misfits. Since Fall 2019. They went through some growing pains but that is long gone. Order at least 30$. Minimum. If not, they will not send at all for the rest of your life, lol. No pressure. Or just cancel. 

They suit me as they have exactly what I would purchase in a local market. I order every other week and change up my veg selections and add some pantry staples. Things I usually stock and a few things to try. Every other order, once a month, I add a 'cold pack'. Minimum 30$.

Butter, cheese, eggs, pasture raised chickens, etc. 

I average about 75$ for the veg/pantry week, and 100$ when I add a cold pack. We are about 75-80% plant-based diet so we go through a lot of veg. Make a big batch of pup food just before the next order. 

I un-pack and give all veg stems a fresh cut and set into cold water in a container in the sink. Cilantro, salads, greens, celery, etc. Something a while ago was a bit droopy but bounced back like fresh after a drink. So long ago I don't remember what it was. 

Not everything in a cold pack is a previously frozen item. If your ice pack is still frozen it is no different than your fridge. Probably much colder being on ice. DH loves the ThreeLittlePigs pastrami for sandwiches. 

If you give them another try, just limit your order to veg and pantry at first. Limit to needs and avoid all the tempting junk. 😀

• Like 1

@Maison Rustique — my experience has been that Misfits does better than Imperfect on anything that needs to stay frozen. Much better packaging. I think because it has to endure FedEx they have to put in more effort.

Imperfect is still usually fine but every few boxes I end up with an insulated pack they've left half open and have to pitch a few things. They always refund, but it's annoying. Have mostly stopped ordering raw meat from them so I don't have to worry about it.

• Like 1

Delivery from FlyByJing today---a day late so nerves were high. Dumplings were well packed with dry ice and solid frozen. Phew. 

DH birthday yesterday, I picked up some dumplings from WholeFoods. Horrible. Big and fat and no flavor. 

I've made them for years with lots of ginger and lemongrass. (pre-covid) Get some friends together and have a party. Same with a big tamale making party and empanadas. Squirl away a few dozen in the freezer so those that help making them can take home a few meals. 

The big jars were a fathers Day special with a free spice blend. 

Bugger that USPS sent an e-mail that they were delivered. No delivery. He came back an hour later so embarrassed. 

We are having all three tonight with a simple miso soup.

I expect better than most. We shall see.

Red package is Dooubanjiang. Mung bean paste. Should have ordered but just saw it this morning when checking on delivery tracking. 

I need dumplings in my freezer for quick meals straight from freezer. If I order again, I'll try that.

What I have now is 138 dumplings in the freezer for a while. Easy meal once a week or so. 

Thankfully the shitty WholeFoods were two boxes with eight dough balls in each. yuck. Dog food. 

Screen Shot 2022-06-18 at 3.26.24 PM.png

Edited by Annie_H (log)
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Annie_H said:

DH birthday yesterday, I picked up some dumplings from WholeFoods. Horrible. Big and fat and no flavor. 

I'm always amazed when someone manages to mess up dumplings — they're so easy to get right! But so many supermarket ones are terrible.

24 minutes ago, Annie_H said:

Red package is Dooubanjiang. Mung bean paste. Should have ordered but just saw it this morning when checking on delivery tracking. 

In the grand eGullet tradition of enabling, I am obligated to point out that Mala Market sells that same (excellent) doubanjiang and a lot of other high quality versions of Sichuan ingredients.

I have been using their 10 year Baoning vinegar as a sort of finishing vinegar for a lot of Chinese dishes or dipping sauces lately and have been very impressed. (Expensive, but it's quite a big bottle.)

Their Sichuan peppercorns are notably better than the ones I've gotten from supermarkets as well — and it's the only place in the US I have ever seen caiziyou (unrefined rapeseed oil, traditionally used a lot in Sichuan).

A few things they sell are a bit ridiculously priced (like the zhacai and yacai) — I don't begrudge a small business the markup, but I can get those easily elsewhere.

All of this is making me want to cook more Sichuan food — think it will be on the menu this week! Might be time to finally set up the outdoor wok burner...

Edited by dtremit (log)

15 hours ago, dtremit said:

have been using their 10 year Baoning vinegar as a sort of finishing vinegar for a lot of Chinese dishes or dipping sauces lately and have been very impressed. (Expensive, but it's quite a big bottle.)

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?