• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food Funnies

Keith_W

352959219_307145288636177_1660723955341256233_n.jpg.160aa450e15c90fff0cc5cfe6db9d840.jpg

• Haha 9

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

If I were to start posting all the mis-spellings and mistranslations I see every day, I'd have a full time job. I think I've only ever posted one. Crap instead of carp.

20171129_224631.thumb.jpg.25863f1fec3de8146b10f86772232939.jpg

Of course, the errors are in several  languages. Including Chinese (although not technically mis-spelling, the use of the wrong, but homophonic character can be hilarious.

螺蛳粉 (luó sī fěn)  螺丝粉 (luó sī fěn) are pronounced identically but the first means 'snail noodles' and the second, 'screw noodles'.

screwnoodles.thumb.jpg.ff1c44e578a9f05418589b35612609c0.jpg

They are often confused, even by cafe type shops selling the dish, Liuzhou's signature dish. One place near me has two signs; one wrong, one correct.

But my favourite is this.

lionnoodles.jpg.69bcea576103fe652e90b9780de6433a.jpg

The sign on the left reads "螺狮粉" (luó shī fěn) which means 'spiral lion noodles'

lion.jpg.9c4e9eaf9d63b77b2e1936a92cc7c628.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Haha 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

The "dinner" part, of course, makes it eligible for this thread. :P

359808964_658543529640312_2155390760379066553_n.jpg.6c42d9e2feaca21eeece3a681b1dbe92.jpg

• Haha 4

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

358664214_818157083013934_3083214463143069577_n.jpg.2a41b9496f4d26d0ce20c332baf6fac9.jpg

• Haha 5

359816483_615070310743409_7736957418193545794_n.jpg.637b327b8a2962b794a5f529fd961051.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

23 minutes ago, chromedome said:

359816483_615070310743409_7736957418193545794_n.jpg.637b327b8a2962b794a5f529fd961051.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

31 minutes ago, Duvel said:

I do not get it …

Me neither. 

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

35 minutes ago, Duvel said:

I do not get it …

Looks like the letters for cheeseburger out of order but if intentionally humorous - a mark was missed. For years I've looked at Asian packaging using English words like at the 98cent Daiso. A lot of awkward wording and cutesie images but not intentional clever humor.  

Not the usual sort of thing I post in this thread, but it seemed more appropriate here than elsewhere:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/jul/20/donair-costume-canada-snack-pita-meat-controversy

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, chromedome said:

Not the usual sort of thing I post in this thread, but it seemed more appropriate here than elsewhere:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/jul/20/donair-costume-canada-snack-pita-meat-controversy

This is great! I grinned all the way through the article.

So are you going to place a bid?

• Haha 2

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

3 minutes ago, Alex said:

This is great! I grinned all the way through the article.

So are you going to place a bid?

With lettuce in it? Hell, no! :P

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

I don't know about @chromedome but I would certainly have to pass. I have made the Nova Scotia donairs, minus the condensed milk sauce, and they are real gut bombs.

I say this with respect and affection, but that's incorrect. Without the milk-based sauce it's not a Nova Scotia donair, full stop. They are absolutely a gut bomb though, especially in the oversized form that's sold in many a donair place situated strategically near drinking establishments and/or student hangouts.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, chromedome said:

Without the milk-based sauce it's not a Nova Scotia donair, full stop.

Okay, I bow to your Superior and cultural wisdom. But as @MaryIsobel said on another recent thread, I taste with my mind and I just could not wrap my head around all that sweet sauce on meat. However I did not put lettuce on them. Do I get points for that?

Edited by Tropicalsenior (log)
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

Okay, I bow to your Superior and cultural wisdom. But as @MaryIsobel said on another recent thread, I taste with my mind and I just could not wrap my head around all that sweet sauce on meat. However I did not put lettuce on them. Do I get points for that?

Absolutely. :)

The sauce *is* sweet, but not cloyingly so. It's garlic-forward when made properly, and balances nicely with the savoriness of the meat and onions (and provides the sweetness that's generally lacking in foodservice-grade tomatoes). But more fundamentally - and not at all facetiously - that sauce is the sine qua non of a Nova Scotia-style (really, a Halifax-style) donair. Otherwise it's just another take on a gyro or doner kebab. Not that there's anything wrong with those, either, but... you know... without the signature component, it's not the thing. Like coq au vin without wine. :P

• Thanks 2