Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cooking with "This Will Make It Taste Good", by Vivian Howard


Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, Anna N said:

At some point I suspect I will find myself making LGD. But I’m not rushing. I am not a fan of green olives and even mint really only calls to me in mint sauce.  I need to live closer to one of you who have made it so I could sneak just a taste!

 

FWIW castelvetrano olives don't taste like what you might expect. They're green ripe olives, not green unripe olives unless my memory fails me. (If I'm misremembering, somebody please correct me.)) Very different flavor profile.

 

I'm especially irked because I DO like mint, but neglected to collect any before it froze hard. Our herbs are done for the year, except some very hardy sage and rosemary.

 

Now it's MY turn to damn you all. I don't need more cookbooks either, but will probably be pulling the trigger on this one soon.

Edited by Smithy
Corrected hardy 'mint' to 'rosemary'. Duh. (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 4

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)

"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Smithy said:

castelvetrano olives don't taste like what you might expect.

Totally right.  Very very mild...a slight hint of sweet, very slight.

 

Edited to say make sure you get the pitted ones...

Edited by Shelby (log)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

While I was at the store getting the mint etc. to make LGD I noticed a big bunch of beautiful endive.  I was surprised to see it.  To my knowledge I've never eaten it.  For sure I've never had it braised.  So, to go with last nights meal, I braised some in butter and lemon juice (and salt, of course).  Then plated it up with dollops of LGD.  Oh my, it was good.  Highly recommend.

 

thumbnail_IMG_0104.jpg.a140f05f49f75172499651cb33376de1.jpg

  • Like 6
  • Delicious 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@Shelby 

 

How is the LGD working out for you ?

 

I can't quite imagine the flavor(u)r profile ...

 

as you said it was not minty

 

and Im not sure Ive ever had those olives

It's delicious.  I literally ate it from the jar with a spoon yesterday.  It tastes bright, fresh, like a very very light pesto in a way only no basil taste (of course).  I get no mint taste at all, it just adds a note of fresh...that's the only way I can think to describe it.  I highly highly recommend making this.  

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Then plated it up with dollops of LGD.  Oh my, it was good.  Highly recommend.

 

The big question is: did you prepare some night sandwiches for Ronnie?

 

 

 

Teo

 

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Teo

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Smithy said:

Now it's MY turn to damn you all. I don't need more cookbooks either, but will probably be pulling the trigger on this one soon.

 

Same, same.  Trying to find one to put in the donation pile, since I'm out of real estate for cookbooks.  

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SLB said:

 

Same, same.  Trying to find one to put in the donation pile, since I'm out of real estate for cookbooks.  

 

I compromised and bought the Kindle version. I'm in a position where compact is better anyway, although less satisfying.

  • Like 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)

"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think I had a bite of sauerkraut from a can once as a child.  I saw no reason to try it again but Vivian convinced me so I picked up a cabbage from the farmers market yesterday and decided to start some of the Can-Do Kraut.  

The recipe calls for an English cucumber.  I used a regular one.  Not sure if that will be bad.

IMG_3242.jpeg.7fc763365ddcf763daa1f54b6e5e4af7.jpeg

 

The recipe also calls for 1 head of cabbage but does not specify a weight.  Most other recipes I see specify the amount of salt by weight of cabbage. Maybe it's forgiving.

The recipe also says it will fill one 2-quart jar or two 1-quart jar.  My cabbage weighed ~ 2 lbs.  As you can see, I got 1 full jar and about 1/4 of another.  

IMG_3243.jpeg.fac4e6cf0de6a76250752c6eafa14134.jpeg

I could get another cabbage and make more or transfer that to a smaller jar but I think I'll just toss it and see what happens with the one jar. 

I also don't have any place that stays a consistent temperature so it may not work anyway.  

We'll see. 

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, SLB said:

From the looks of it, you might be able to shove that little bit in . . . 

 

I tried!  There's a 1" thick glass weight in there and it's pretty much level with the top of the jar.

If I find something thinner to use as a weight, I might get a little more in.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/29/2020 at 11:31 AM, Anna N said:

At some point I suspect I will find myself making LGD. But I’m not rushing. I am not a fan of green olives and even mint really only calls to me in mint sauce.  I need to live closer to one of you who have made it so I could sneak just a taste!

Indeed. Mint and olives are low on my list

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Shelby said:

While I was at the store getting the mint etc. to make LGD I noticed a big bunch of beautiful endive.  I was surprised to see it.  To my knowledge I've never eaten it.  For sure I've never had it braised.  So, to go with last nights meal, I braised some in butter and lemon juice (and salt, of course).  Then plated it up with dollops of LGD.  Oh my, it was good.  Highly recommend.

 

thumbnail_IMG_0104.jpg.a140f05f49f75172499651cb33376de1.jpg

Braise it even more till its nice and brown. Gets nutty and sweet.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/30/2020 at 6:33 AM, Shelby said:

While I was at the store getting the mint etc. to make LGD I noticed a big bunch of beautiful endive.  I was surprised to see it.  To my knowledge I've never eaten it.  For sure I've never had it braised.  So, to go with last nights meal, I braised some in butter and lemon juice (and salt, of course).  Then plated it up with dollops of LGD.  Oh my, it was good.  Highly recommend.

 

thumbnail_IMG_0104.jpg.a140f05f49f75172499651cb33376de1.jpg

 

How ironic. Doesn't she say specifically in the opening that if you're looking for things to do with endive you should look in another book? 😄

 

I'm really enjoying her writing style. Thought I'd done all the grocery shopping for a week or two, but since my Other Half has rationalized the need for Halloween candy there's a trip again today.  Which means I can get a cuke for kraut and the ingredients for LGD!

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)

"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Smithy said:

How ironic. Doesn't she say specifically in the opening that if you're looking for things to do with endive you should look in another book? 😄

Had to go and verify this. What can I say. It’s just the way I am. My conclusion is that Shelby can make even Vivian Howard rethink her cooking philosophy. Although to be fair to Vivian I think she was using endive as shorthand for poncy food - endive, white asparagus and guinea hen. Endive braised until it caramelizes doesn’t need much help. But perhaps Shelby has proved me wrong. Whatever, it looks delicious.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Link to post
Share on other sites

@Anna N, I totally agree about Shelby's cookery! I just thought it comical, and hadn't gotten Shelby's joke earlier since I hadn't started the book when I saw her post. I agree that endive was shorthand for obscure (or poncy- love that word although my spell checker doesn't) ingredients. If VH happens to be following along on this topic I'm sure she'll be impressed. 

  • Like 5

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)

"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Smithy said:

@Anna N, I totally agree about Shelby's cookery! I just thought it comical, and hadn't gotten Shelby's joke earlier since I hadn't started the book when I saw her post. I agree that endive was shorthand for obscure (or poncy- love that word although my spell checker doesn't) ingredients. If VH happens to be following along on this topic I'm sure she'll be impressed. 

I've added poncy to the list of words I need to incorporate daily.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with the longer braise on endive. As to fancy - it is in every chain market here incl Kroger. It was the ubiquitous casual entertaining pass-around while standing done as endive cups a while back - like this https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/endive-cups-with-blue-cheese-celery-and-croutons?verso=true I've requeeted it from library but may spring while my free Prime lasts. LGD calls.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, heidih said:

LGD calls

You can find that one and most of the recipes that use it via Amazon's "Look Inside" feature. 

 

Today's lunch, featuring LGD, was the Tuna Salad Snack Crackers on p 26

IMG_3245.jpeg.41b19af4244e4cef626ff4ae294c16b1.jpeg

This was really good, assuming you are a tuna eater. If not, consider salmon or sardines.  You can put it in the avocado or a tomato or on a plate as a salad.

I consider onion a must with tuna salad and didn't think the 2 shallots in LGD were going to do the job. I fully expected to go back and add more but this was just fine.

 

I also mixed up a half batch of the LGD Goes Ranch dip/dressing and thought it tasted pretty fabulous when I licked the spoon.  Looking forward to trying that later on. 

 

  • Like 4
  • Delicious 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

@blue_dolphin the tuna salad recipe is one that I had earmarked. Your version look just as gorgeous as the one in the cookbook.

 

I was going to make LGD with the olives I have but all this talk about Castelvetrano olives has me curious. They are on the shopping list and now I have to get them before I make LGD. 😏

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, curls said:

@blue_dolphin the tuna salad recipe is one that I had earmarked. Your version look just as gorgeous as the one in the cookbook.

 

I was going to make LGD with the olives I have but all this talk about Castelvetrano olives has me curious. They are on the shopping list and now I have to get them before I make LGD. 😏

I think you're wise to get the Castelvetrao olives...they are very different from Spanish olives.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Shelby said:

I think you're wise to get the Castelvetrao olives...they are very different from Spanish olives.

And yet…

”My plan for this book was only to offer recipes with ingredients I could find in my local Walmart. Not out of love for Walmart, but because I want you to be empowered by these recipes, not discouraged by what you can’t find because of where you live.”


(Can you imagine any other chef saying somethings so revolutionary?) So she does give you some options for LGD. But like you I would hold off for the castelvetrano olives. 

 

 

  • Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...