• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Manitoulin — change is in the air.

2 hours ago, rotuts said:

Id like to hear a bit more about the mussels.

are they frozen ?   

if not , how are they packaged ?

and re :  

https://www.burtfarmmeats.com/uploads/1/4/1/2/14128780/retail_price_list_march_2018.pdf

Prime Rib is 10.69 / lb

is that " Prime "  Prime rib ?

they don't use Kg. ?

hopeful there be pics.

interesting fresh sausage list

no Bangers ?

:(

Mussels are not frozen but packed in atmospherically modified packaging. 

Prime rib would be what you expect.  It is a particular cut of meat rather than a particular grade of meat.  Max slaughters his own animals so I do not believe they are graded as they are in the grocery store hence prime would not indicate a particular level of quality.   But his animals die happy and at home.

We are a little schizophrenic when it comes to pricing in the grocery store.   As far as I know the law requires it be priced in kilograms but then the grocery stores use pounds instead to make it look less expensive.  Very few of us have adapted to ordering 100 g of any kind of meat or fresh produce.   A very few grocery stores do stick to the letter of the law.  In that case many of us turn ourselves into pretzels trying to convert 100 g @ x/kg into a price we can understand!

Kerry will be posting photographs of the meat we got from Max.  We did indeed get some of his latest sausages.   No prime rib though. 

• Like 5

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

30D47BB7-C0DC-4C72-BCDA-34E2CC6051ED.thumb.jpeg.ad24bc59a1055de6e13df07105f8e3ad.jpeg

This is the future home of a bean to bar chocolate manufactory. But first the building needs to be torn down and a new one put up.

7877342E-6C76-43AB-9F3C-598526BBB1CC.thumb.jpeg.9eb2c9e4dc85449ff89c310230322dfd.jpeg

Here is what we got at Max’s

• Like 12

96458D1B-90F4-4EC8-BAA0-E68F4CFAECDE.jpeg.ab63ffd94e32d2da689d5ab7db7657fb.jpeg

Lunch at Buoy’s in Gore Bay.  Sort of a Caesar salad for Kerry. Was missing those things that actually make a salad Caesar.  Things like Parmesan cheese, croutons and something resembling a garlicky dressing.

029A064A-2004-49EE-A0EE-65B93F42A54D.jpeg.ef860bd8b8836c1bfd642754966ab7fb.jpeg

BLT for me.  Even after I removed half the bacon the sandwich remained unbalanced.  (There was a time when I thought more is always better. It ain’t so.) But Kerry enjoyed the extra bacon. These chips were very strange.  They were hard rather than crispy and lacked flavour of any kind.  Not a very successful lunch.  But the venue was pretty outside!1C2A26B5-2C72-49F7-AF49-F17069E94F60.thumb.jpeg.8a79f2ef33d4f3ab09f976324e9079b7.jpeg

66225136-1D82-4062-AC09-9A4C8CDF4599.jpeg.e013a42eb8de092a5bbb5f7fd41d8d6a.jpeg

A9D0DABB-3F9D-4AD5-94DC-D850B0DCD58A.jpeg.62d71d7b08760f8046b467778d701429.jpeg

I did take some lovely photographs ...  of my finger.  So you can thank Kerry for the retake.

96545681-4EC0-485E-AE97-69B9D1746348.thumb.jpeg.4393afd6fe47569167c5b730428b6598.jpeg

A quick shot of downtown Gore Bay. 

7DD91147-33CB-45D5-8F92-FA5FBFDA7BEC.thumb.jpeg.f2bbb7020ea69be1b705328686839521.jpeg

On the way back we stopped long enough for Kerry to have a wander through this little antique place in Kagawong.  

And finally a mural from downtown Little Current. 

3DDF37A9-B5A6-4F3A-A7E9-D7524958C699.thumb.jpeg.09298f0e2f29e3468916435c63ab0f09.jpeg

• Like 15

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

11 minutes ago, rotuts said:

nice meat haul.

what is the ' roast - type cut '  in the center ?

thanks

Pork loin. 

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

20 minutes ago, Anna N said:

We did indeed get some of his latest sausages.

Max is experimenting with a local craft beer in his sausage making (click).

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

26 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

30D47BB7-C0DC-4C72-BCDA-34E2CC6051ED.thumb.jpeg.ad24bc59a1055de6e13df07105f8e3ad.jpeg

This is the future home of a bean to bar chocolate manufactory. But first the building needs to be torn down and a new one put up.

Lisabeth? Just a random guess because you're where you are and she's the only one I know about there. There may be 50 of them there in actuality. :D

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

6 minutes ago, Tri2Cook said:

Lisabeth? Just a random guess because you're where you are and she's the only one I know about there. There may be 50 of them there in actuality. :D

Spot on!

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Shelby said:

YUM

So good. Done with ginger,  garlic and sake.  But no matter how many you have there’s never enough!  

• Like 10
  • Delicious 1

My 2004 eG Blog

3 hours ago, Anna N said:

Max is experimenting with a local craft beer in his sausage making (click).

The western United  States is overly in love with hops and IPAs. It's refreshing to see beers I'd love to try.

I'm thinking the amber ale would be my first choice to use int a sausage.

• Like 1

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

C1138E4B-CC1B-43AE-9ADD-8EC97123A80F.thumb.jpeg.b664565aa399f988dbdc0ec3b469cfee.jpeg

Mmmmmm.  It’s what’s for dessert!  One of @Alleguede‘s Kouign-amanns. Brought up here from her freezer by Kerry. 

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 21

My 2004 eG Blog

The cocktails you two enjoy always make me think I should venture out of my wine rut and dip my toes into the pond of true sophistication 🧐🥃

• Like 5

"There are no mistakes in bread baking, only more bread crumbs"

*Bernard Clayton, Jr.

5 minutes ago, Porthos said:

The western United  States is overly in love with hops and IPAs. It's refreshing to see beers I'd love to try.

I'm thinking the amber ale would be my first choice to use int a sausage.

I think Max said he tried the amber and found it “flat”.  I think he went with the lager. 

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

41 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Eeyore’s Requiem 

I knew he'd show up at the townhouse at some point. :D It usually inspires me to have a visit with Eeyore myself. May not this year though, I have a lot of tiki related products sitting around that aren't going to stay good forever so I'm trying to stay in that area this summer.

• Like 4

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

This is our sous vide bucket. Just the right amount of water, not too heavy when it’s full, holds the Anova with no difficulty.

1A0D28BF-60BB-4A1C-BFB0-73F22064E87E.thumb.jpeg.8f459d9ee2f28c2da08e4f22b61f5c9b.jpeg

Every year when I get here and start to unpack - things are missing - I fuss, I fume, I suspect people of stealing my stuff. Then a few days later it shows up and I feel foolish for my paranoia.  To be fair there was the incident a few years back where a person staying in the condo made off with my favourite oven mitts, a really nice large heavy pizza stone and a few other things - which is why we now have the locked closet for the valuables and the booze! 

So I decided the missing yellow bucket had to be around here somewhere and would show up - meanwhile we pulled the mop bucket out of the cleaning closet and put it to work.

Today the owner of the condo showed up bearing the yellow bucket - the eldest son was married on the weekend and apparently the yellow bucket was just perfect for a big batch of sangria. Just because you are paranoid doesn’t mean you aren’t being followed!

• Like 8
  • Haha 12

5 hours ago, Anna N said:

We are a little schizophrenic when it comes to pricing in the grocery store.   As far as I know the law requires it be priced in kilograms but then the grocery stores use pounds instead to make it look less expensive.  Very few of us have adapted to ordering 100 g of any kind of meat or fresh produce.   A very few grocery stores do stick to the letter of the law.  In that case many of us turn ourselves into pretzels trying to convert 100 g @ x/kg into a price we can understand!

I really wish we would just stick to metric in Canada. I prefer to order most things in metric. With deli meats or some specialty cheese or something like smoked lox, I usually want fairly small amounts - 100, 150 or 200 g and when I am in the US, I have to stop and think how to ask for some of those amounts. I like the precision of metric, especially with expensive items like halibut. I know I want about 300 g for dinner for the two of us if we are hungry, maybe only 200 g if we are having several veggies and/or salad. It irks me to no end when I go to a store and the biggest price sign is for $/lb and I have to search to find the price per 100 g. 

It also irks me when I look at a store flyer and they are inconsistent - I was just looking at a flyer that listed all the seafood items in grams and most of the meat items in pounds. Well, they listed both but good luck finding and reading the small print for the items in the opposite measurements. 

We should either use metric exclusively or clearly and obviously display both measures with their respective costs. 

OK, take that soap box away from me, someone....   🛒xD

Edited by FauxPas (log)
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Kerry Beal said:

This is our sous vide bucket. Just the right amount of water, not too heavy when it’s full, holds the Anova with no difficulty.

Today the owner of the condo showed up bearing the yellow bucket - the eldest son was married on the weekend and apparently the yellow bucket was just perfect for a big batch of sangria

Sounds like t hat was a pretty classy reception.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

6 minutes ago, FauxPas said:

I love the name and want to try one, but I always wonder just how bitter it is???   :unsure:

It’s bitter but so well balanced that you don’t really notice 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

It’s bitter but so well balanced that you don’t really notice 

Yep. I think of it as being like to it's namesake... pleasantly bitter. 

• Like 4