• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Manitoulin — change is in the air.

3 minutes ago, Anna N said:

That beef shank was $6 something. 

I seldom see it below $8/lb in my neck of the woods, and it's usually more.

• Like 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

C595775F-F339-4FB0-9D0E-3FAB5D77DC06.thumb.jpeg.79a6a7d6469759d337fb33b5455363e1.jpeg

My dessert yesterday evening which I forgot post. Kerry made sure to grab her jar!  

0758E60C-AC8C-4283-A7F0-C26D739BA6B2.thumb.jpeg.c8a5e8b96a900aa59c9012c2626d2693.jpeg

F68E23C4-7F30-462E-8B6F-E94D6A580B75.thumb.jpeg.0389cc9299556dced010d1aff2908dc4.jpeg

Escargot Without Those Pesky Snails.  

The town house smells intoxicating. Hoping these will reheat reasonably well. 

I have had the recipe for many years and got it originally from gourmet.com but I see it is on the Smitten Kitchen site, too. 

Click

• Like 9
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 8

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

8 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@Anna N

thank you for that Rx

now to find some decent brown buttons.

Oddly , in my area sometimes Tj's has very nice ones.

I'd swap out the (hideous) parsley for thyme which is great with butter/ garlic cremini mushrooms

11 minutes ago, gfweb said:

I'd swap out the (hideous) parsley for thyme which is great with butter/ garlic cremini mushrooms

Rebel. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, rotuts said:

@Anna N

thank you for that Rx

now to find some decent brown buttons.

Oddly , in my area sometimes Tj's has very nice ones.

Aldi's generally has them. And at a good price.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

On 7/9/2018 at 5:57 PM, Anna N said:

We had lunch at the Pinewood Motor Inn in Espanola (Click).  We both ordered the prime rib sandwich. I had mine with fries and gravy and Kerry chose to have hers with a Caesar salad.   At least this time there were croutons and I believe some dressing in the salad.    

Now I feel I have to tell you when I read the words “prime rib” on a menu this is what I visualize.  What arrived was something that I suspect closely resembles the burnt ends so  beloved by BBQ fans. Apparently our server, too,  thought that she came from the Deep South where such things might be appreciated. Her “youse” sort of grated on the nerves in Espanola.  But she was pleasant enough. The coleslaw was delicious and we ended up enjoying our lunch anyway as we always do.  

FE0777EC-65FA-4F5F-A37E-EFF06B277C61.thumb.jpeg.7ac35dd087067d2098ee9a1bed7726cb.jpeg

Oh, that gravy on those potatoes!!!  

Edited by Kim Shook (log)
  • Like 3

On 7/9/2018 at 4:56 PM, Anna N said:

We managed to do a fair bit of retail therapy but otherwise we stayed out of trouble. D2BA6809-92DE-40B7-AEC4-A771BF34B617.thumb.jpeg.e3243a86e91c71d3fe1bca19c9ceef01.jpeg 

Boy, those Wonderful pistachios are everywhere now. Quite the marketing push, and who knows how many thousands of acres of pistachios have been planted. Evidently:

Paramount Farms is the world’s largest vertically integrated supplier of pistachios and almonds. The company’s 30,000 acres of pistachio orchards, located in California’s San Joaquin Valley, are the largest in the Western Hemisphere. Paramount Farms’ pistachios can be found in the produce department of grocery stores nationwide sold under the Wonderful®, Everybody’s Nuts!® and Sunkist® brand names. Paramount has also developed PistachioHealth.com, the leading online source of information on the health and nutrition benefits of pistachios as a resource for both consumers and health professionals.

And:

Wonderful Pistachios are America’s best-selling snack nut and the smart, healthy choice for folks around the world. And due to our Get Crackin’ ad campaign, record numbers of people are now aware of the benefits of pistachios. In fact, Wonderful Pistachios as a consumer brand competes with the top salty snacks found in grocery stores. Pretty good for a former commodity product. To keep up with the demand, we cultivate over 125,000 acres in California’s Central Valley through Wonderful Orchards. The warm days and cool nights work in harmony with the region’s natural soils to create the perfect growing climate. Wonderful Orchards carefully tends and harvests each pistachio using the latest sustainable practices.

These are the same people who launched the POM brand of pomegranate juices.  Also own Fiji water.

• Like 8

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

15 minutes ago, weinoo said:

Boy, those Wonderful pistachios are everywhere now. Quite the marketing push, and who knows how many thousands of acres of pistachios have been planted. Evidently:

And:

Wonderful Pistachios are America’s best-selling snack nut and the smart, healthy choice for folks around the world. And due to our Get Crackin’ ad campaign, record numbers of people are now aware of the benefits of pistachios. In fact, Wonderful Pistachios as a consumer brand competes with the top salty snacks found in grocery stores. Pretty good for a former commodity product. To keep up with the demand, we cultivate over 125,000 acres in California’s Central Valley through Wonderful Orchards. The warm days and cool nights work in harmony with the region’s natural soils to create the perfect growing climate. Wonderful Orchards carefully tends and harvests each pistachio using the latest sustainable practices.

These are the same people who launched the POM brand of pomegranate juices.  Also own Fiji water.

Marketing is clearly their strong suit!

• Like 1

I had to make the cake mix and pudding mix version as well as the home made version of Mordor to see how they compared.

IMG_1101.jpg.1344d612e7cf22cb877e69abf25cb02c.jpg

IMG_1103.jpg.2d54a7d7c2a9785b0b518b1b00b94553.jpg

Cake mix version

IMG_1102.jpg.8d5724bd449a10954ad9306b33cf6773.jpg

IMG_1104.jpg.0a3e0965d6ca4a5653bd49223c801da0.jpg

Home made version. This is darker and less sweet (I invariably cut back sugar). 

Both are wonderfully moist and deeply chocolatey - we shall see how they fly at work today.

• Like 10

Good morning!  The day started out cloudy and dull but it is now sunny and pleasant. 21°C currently and headed to 25°. Quite pleasant. 

I woke up some hours ago and was very, very hungry!  I didn’t want to disturb the rest of the household so waited until Kira went off with her caregiver before raiding the ‘fridge. 

999DECFD-02E8-4BFB-BA59-580B0A3A256D.thumb.jpeg.856753d46655fefd35e552e571394fd7.jpeg

Leftover Asian-inspired chicken and carrots. 

Presently I have no plans for the day. Kerry is on call so we won’t be going anywhere. Might just spend the day reading. We shall see.

• Like 13

My 2004 eG Blog

23 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Yes, indeed.  While I often buy and enjoy their pistachios (and other products as well), they certainly don't have the flavor of a Sicilian, Turkish, or Iranian pistachio.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

4 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Presently I have no plans for the day. Kerry is on call so we won’t be going anywhere. Might just spend the day reading. We shall see.

Sounds like a perfect summer day to me...

• Like 4

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

28 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

You have no idea...

https://story.californiasunday.com/resnick-a-kingdom-from-dust

• Like 4

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

Yes, indeed.  While I often buy and enjoy their pistachios (and other products as well), they certainly don't have the flavor of a Sicilian, Turkish, or Iranian pistachio.

Here the space they tend to negotiate is at just below eye level and in the produce section; highlighting the "healthy" aspect...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chromedome said:

I had to laugh when I started looking at the article, which I only looked at a tiny bit, knowing exactly where Lost Hills is. It is about 2 miles west of Interstate 5, on California Highway 46. In the fall my DW and I have reason to drive up and down the 5 through the San Joaquin Valley a lot and what we call Lost Hills is not the real Lost hills but rather a cluster of motels, gas stations and fast food eateries at the junction of I5 and CA46. It is our regular stop for gas and food on those trips.

• Like 4

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

So I decided to do something with the pork loin we got from Max last week.  It was frozen but that didn’t deter me from vacuum packing it and putting it into the sous vide bath at 58.3°C. (This time I could find no logic in waiting for the water to reach temperature before adding the meat!)  I will let it cook for about four hours. This time I did a fair bit of research before settling on a time and temperature and that included my own experience. 

Before we come up here each year Kerry and I try to send each other links to recipes we want to try while we have the time.  

This was one of them.  Of course Kerry is doing low-carb so it’s not entirely suitable for her.  But I had sent her a text on another matter entirely and since she didn’t answer it as is her wont, I decided she was extremely busy and unlikely to come home for hours. Ha ha!   She walked in just as I was putting them into the oven.  Oh well. 

E88AC0D3-0DC5-4BAC-AB7C-A8D00B956AEB.thumb.jpeg.bead63af2d811a45d144d43ee9971041.jpeg

They are somewhat over cooked because I did them in the Cuisinart Steam Oven forgetting that it automatically uses convection and that it always cooks faster than a standard oven.   Still they are interesting but one really needs a couple of craft beers on hand to counter the bite of the pepper.  

• Like 11
  • Delicious 2

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, Shelby said:

Oh those look good!

You know Shelby they did sound good. But the bottom line is the cheese did not really cling to the potato chips.  I am glad I tried the recipe but it’s not something I would do again.   It occurred to me that it might work better with something like a cheddar cheese. It’s possible I might try that. I’m not a great fan of kettle chips to begin with so maybe I’m just prejudiced. 

• Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog

On ‎7‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 7:11 PM, Anna N said:

So good. Done with ginger,  garlic and sake.  But no matter how many you have there’s never enough!  

I did mussels and prawns ( 3#/ 1#) last Sunday night with lots of garlic, butter and white wine. For only 2 of us. With salad and bread. We finished them all!

oink oink!

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

And this old porch is like a steaming greasy plate of enchiladas,With lots of cheese and onions and a guacamole salad ...This Old Porch...Lyle Lovett

2 minutes ago, caroled said:

I did mussels and prawns ( 3#/ 1#) last Sunday night with lots of garlic, butter and white wine. For only 2 of us. With salad and bread. We finished them all!

oink oink!

I like the contrasting textures of the 2 shellfish. Did you steam together or? Going to make every effort to get to Farmers Market sunday where they sell local mussels - cultivated off-shore  http://blogs.kcrw.com/goodfood/2017/06/catalina-sea-ranch-mussels/

• Like 1