• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Manitoulin — change is in the air.

2 minutes ago, rotuts said:

I really do like Big Blue.

do you juice  pulp side down / rind up   

the other way around :  so that in the end the 1/2 citrus is reversed  i.e. inside- out ?

Yes - pulp down / rind up - but it doesn’t reverse just squeezes 

that's the way Id do it

however , on some sort of show that was decent

it was noted that you get more juice out of citrus id you reverse the 1/2 by

placing it in the juicer  pulp side up to start , then in the end revering the fruit

simple to find out

just cut an item in exactly 1/2 and try it each way and note the results.

best done I think before  too much ' mixing ' is done

10 minutes ago, rotuts said:

that's the way Id do it

however , on some sort of show that was decent

it was noted that you get more juice out of citrus id you reverse the 1/2 by

placing it in the juicer  pulp side up to start , then in the end revering the fruit

simple to find out

just cut an item in exactly 1/2 and try it each way and note the results.

best done I think before  too much ' mixing ' is done

Indeed - wise to test before too much 'mixing' done!

I sometimes stack the shells to get more out of them.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, KennethT said:

Wow. You could take Big Blue on to the side of the road and set up a fresh juice stand! That is, if you ever want another occupation....

Lol - think I’ll keep my day job!

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Kerry have you ever tried the Hamilton Beach?  About the only appliance I love as much as my CSO.

Electric citrus reamer? I’ve admired them at thrift stores but then bought cheap ones that aren’t as nice.

15 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Electric citrus reamer? I’ve admired them at thrift stores but then bought cheap ones that aren’t as nice.

No, the commercial manual model 932:

http://www.hamiltonbeachcommercial.com/en/manual-citrus-juicer-932.html

Made since 1932, NSF, no batteries required.  I use mine every day.  I removed the silly drip cup and just place a measuring cup underneath.  The business end is heavy chrome plated zinc.  Base is coated cast iron.  Strainer is stainless steel.  Best part is it doesn't take a lot of strength.

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Good morning. I didn’t wake up quite so early this morning, thank goodness.  But the rest of the house is still asleep.

Forgot to post these photographs of Kerry‘s grocery shopping from yesterday: 

5D9FF5DD-3FFE-49B8-B17D-C107228AD92D.thumb.jpeg.a5c34e53c05786a3e79c61db5262f2f0.jpeg

Chicken marylands which were on sale for $.99/ pound. Couldn’t pass on those.  Molasses, mussels, cocktail tomatoes, frozen peas and Kerry’s snack of choice, salted peanuts.

B0A7542D-2DDE-4463-9F2B-181A9B5AF659.thumb.jpeg.7b524db4dee6aa150733c93e8bd5f56a.jpeg

More eggs, two (frozen) Ace demi baguettes which along with the mussels will become dinner tonight, scallions, garlic and Asian pears. I intend to pickle the pears. 

6DFCC9FD-23E9-41B2-92E1-A07AAC588A6A.thumb.jpeg.b9e83ce87fa315af31bc5b81d54f466b.jpeg

Dishwashing detergent, sesame seeds, white wine vinegar, panko and sunflower oil. 

Kerry is off today so the plan is to drive over to Max Burt’s Farm (click) in Gore Bay. 

• Like 12

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

7 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

No, the commercial manual model 932:

http://www.hamiltonbeachcommercial.com/en/manual-citrus-juicer-932.html

Made since 1932, NSF, no batteries required.  I use mine every day.  I removed the silly drip cup and just place a measuring cup underneath.  The business end is heavy chrome plated zinc.  Base is coated cast iron.  Strainer is stainless steel.  Best part is it doesn't take a lot of strength.

Nice!

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

6DFCC9FD-23E9-41B2-92E1-A07AAC588A6A.thumb.jpeg.b9e83ce87fa315af31bc5b81d54f466b.jpeg

Dishwashing detergent, sesame seeds, white wine vinegar, panko and sunflower oil. 

Now (to my warped mind) this would be the perfect basket for a show like Chopped.

P.S. What the hell are chicken Marylands?

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

2 minutes ago, weinoo said:

What the Australians call chicken leg quarters. Kerry and I adopted the name because it is shorter and now there’s no going backwards. 

• Like 8

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

30 minutes ago, weinoo said:

Now (to my warped mind) this would be the perfect basket for a show like Chopped.

Kinda like the Tide Pod Challenge?

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

F21DD05A-9161-45AC-8463-FE5C99562D60.thumb.jpeg.463f1a9c423fc2625cb724cebc997315.jpeg

A bit untraditional but still good. Cabot Seriously Sharp Cheddar and a peach. 

• Like 13

My 2004 eG Blog

Just now, Shelby said:

I've never seen molasses in a container like that.

Don’t think I have ever seen it any other way in most supermarkets. I have seen Kerry with some in bottles but not sure where it came from. 

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

Did you hear about the little mole family that woke up early one morning.  First Daddy Mole peeked out of the hole and took a big sniff.

He smelled some delicious bacon frying.  Next Mommy Mole did the same but she smelled bread being toasted.  Now Baby Mole tried

and tried to reach the top of the burrow but he just couldn't.  Finally, in frustration he cried...."All I smell is mole-asses.

Sneaking out of the thread now.

• Like 1
  • Haha 11

36 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Don’t think I have ever seen it any other way in most supermarkets. I have seen Kerry with some in bottles but not sure where it came from. 

Bottles come from the US. Canada is all in paper. I went through a phase where I bought a ton of it. Interesting the questions you get asked at the checkout.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

New puppy at Martha’s (one of Kira’s caregivers up here). Kira was very excited to see Martha and her daughter this morning. And now she is truly happy!

DBF45981-92E3-4BDC-96FE-A8FE6D145F6A.thumb.jpeg.547872b720bb2266272065e2965f0658.jpeg

2C853986-D58E-4A4B-9EFC-6EF66084EAE0.thumb.jpeg.fef7e18657dcd6f8caaf4636bde4d4d4.jpeg

D93DF53A-7028-49F6-BF77-C088D152A8E3.thumb.jpeg.7391c4caa54cb0b749245535197426b4.jpeg

• Like 24

12 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

I have an electric one that was a gift from my grandmother many years ago. I don't know where it ranks in quality level but I've had it for over 20 years and it still works great. She overheard me mentioning to my sister that I was thinking about getting a juicer and got that for me. She had one just like it, her and my grandfather had a winter place in Florida and she had a couple orange trees in her yard so she used it for the oranges. I didn't have the heart to tell her that wasn't the type of juicer I meant but it has come in handy at times. I don't use it often, not worth the cleanup for one or two pieces of fruit, but it's nice when I have reason to juice a large amount of citrus in one shot.

• Like 2

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

3 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Bottles come from the US. Canada is all in paper. I went through a phase where I bought a ton of it. Interesting the questions you get asked at the checkout.

Wonder which is more environmentally friendly?  Most places in the US you can recycle glass, but there a lots of places where you can't recycle wax coated paper cartons.  I like the carton, though.  Only problem might be determining how much you have left.  

• Like 2

Id like to hear a bit more about the mussels.

are they frozen ?   

if not , how are they packaged ?

and re :  

https://www.burtfarmmeats.com/uploads/1/4/1/2/14128780/retail_price_list_march_2018.pdf

Prime Rib is 10.69 / lb

is that " Prime "  Prime rib ?

they don't use Kg. ?

hopeful there be pics.

interesting fresh sausage list

no Bangers ?

:(

15 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Little Green and her brother Big Blue

Thanks for the photos, they are quite lovely! 

In AZ, we get a lot of citrus at times. Our own trees have had some issues (sniff, had to replace them) but we also get friends and neighbours giving us bags of oranges, lemons, grapefruit. I bought a very inexpensive electric B+D juicer, which has worked amazingly well for the past 8 years. I keep thinking it might break, but it keeps juicing along. it's virtue is that it is very light and compact (easy to store on the bottom shelf) and comes apart for easy cleaning. However, it is a bit noisy and is nowhere near as attractive as your pair! 

• Like 1