• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Manitoulin — change is in the air.

6 hours ago, Anna N said:

Lunch at Buoy’s in Gore Bay.  Sort of a Caesar salad for Kerry. Was missing those things that actually make a salad Caesar.  Things like Parmesan cheese, croutons and something resembling a garlicky dressing.

@Kerry Beal would have picked off the evil carb-filled croutons anyway though, right? :ph34r:

Still, the lack of cheese and garlic is inexcusable.  :(

How is life at the hospital/clinic there these days? @Kerry Beal, do you take all the edibles in with you or do you have anything like the break room back at your home hospital, where you can make things on site? 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, FauxPas said:

@Kerry Beal would have picked off the evil carb-filled croutons anyway though, right? :ph34r:

Still, the lack of cheese and garlic is inexcusable.  :(

How is life at the hospital/clinic there these days? @Kerry Beal, do you take all the edibles in with you or do you have anything like the break room back at your home hospital, where you can make things on site? 

I need a few carbs to keep me going! And I really like croutons on a salad.

I tend to forget to take things for me to eat to work - and when I get stuck there - often get hangry. It's about 3 minutes to run home but I need to be able to escape to do so.

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Like 4

16 hours ago, Anna N said:

Chicken marylands which were on sale for $.99/ pound. Couldn’t pass on those.  Molasses, mussels, cocktail tomatoes, frozen peas and Kerry’s snack of choice, salted peanuts. 

Remarkably it is the peanut course here at the moment.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

2 hours ago, BetD said:

The cocktails you two enjoy always make me think I should venture out of my wine rut and dip my toes into the pond of true sophistication 🧐🥃

You have clearly mistaken Anna and I for sophisticates! 

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, gfweb said:

Sounds like t hat was a pretty classy reception.

Nothing but the best on the island. Actually it sounds like a fabulous time was had by all and that it was just the perfect wedding for this particular couple. 

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Remarkably it is the peanut course here at the moment.

I much prefer the peanuts that I purchase from Picards closer to home - I'm annoyed with myself for not remembering to bring some up.

3 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

I much prefer the peanuts that I purchase from Picards closer to home - I'm annoyed with myself for not remembering to bring some up.

I usually patronize nuts.com but I'm put off they have not had a sale in some while.  Until they do* I am purchasing my peanuts from Shoprite.

*or until I run out of red walnuts

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

10 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

Wonder which is more environmentally friendly?  Most places in the US you can recycle glass, but there a lots of places where you can't recycle wax coated paper cartons.  I like the carton, though.  Only problem might be determining how much you have left.  

I don't know which is more environmentally friendly at the macro level. Milk carton-style boxboard is recyclable in NS for sure, I don't know about here in NB. As for determining how much you have left...I just heft mine. The weight tells you part of the story, and you can certainly judge with your fingers where the level of molasses sits. It's certainly no harder than looking at a glass jar.

Personally, if both were available in stores here, I'd take the carton every time. I've never had one of those break when I catch it with my elbow. :P

I've noticed just within the past month or two that Crosby's has finally gotten with the times and begun selling molasses in a plastic squeeze bottle as well. Excellent for table use.

• Like 3

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

9 hours ago, Anna N said:

Lunch at Buoy’s in Gore Bay.  Sort of a Caesar salad for Kerry. Was missing those things that actually make a salad Caesar.  Things like Parmesan cheese, croutons and something resembling a garlicky dressing.

The setting is beautiful, but what  a sad lunch. That salad is a disgrace. If I accidentally made that I'd never post it, even in the miserable failures topic!

• Haha 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

6 hours ago, liuzhou said:

The setting is beautiful, but what  a sad lunch. That salad is a disgrace. If I accidentally made that I'd never post it, even in the miserable failures topic!

Ah well. We’re of the “warts and all” persuasion. But we never allow lousy food to interfere with a good lunch. xD  We still managed to find things that amused us. I particularly recall how long it took for our server to punch in our order on her iPad. Any other server worth her salt could’ve written it at least twice as fast on a pad of paper with a pencil stub. Ah progress

• Like 4
  • Haha 8

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

816619EA-D1CA-4C6B-B7A1-713BB69022F7.thumb.jpeg.65f7670e9a66b5d481b8e11a73dbc6c1.jpeg

Fuel for perhaps a too ambitious day!  Kamatama Udon — basically Japanese “carbonara” at least according to some. Udon noodles tossed with a raw (farm fresh) egg, a little soy sauce, sliced scallions and for me, the icing on the noodles, a generous sprinkling of shichimi togarashi.

Kerry is on call today so she will appear and disappear with some regularity. 

On my to do list:

Vacuum pack the beef shank in preparation for a 20 hour swim in the sous vide bath.  I am going to closely follow @rotuts‘  favourite Brazilians for this experiment. 

Turn the Asian pears into pickles.

Prep the chicken Marylands. The thighs  will become an Asian-inspired dish for tonight’s dinner which I am hoping will reheat nicely if necessary for Kerry. The drumsticks will be frozen for later consideration. 

That is at least a start!  

• Like 14

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

AC14DF15-745B-46D5-938C-16FB29CBD937.thumb.jpeg.dadac39c732cf5d2b28d26c6d2b04f9d.jpegBF18F817-1B9D-493A-916A-EAC0736C7610.thumb.jpeg.8f7dd246ebb00c0556500d0fa70047c9.jpeg

One important job that needed to be done today and which I had completely forgotten about was making chicken soup from the broth I made the other day.  

Being completely unfamiliar with anything but very ordinary green beans and haricot verts,  I found myself texting Kerry and asking what those flat beans were that she had brought up from home and were they suitable for soup. Apparently they are aptly  named “flat beans” and work fine in soup. 

The chicken Marylands have been dealt with. The thighs are back in the fridge waiting for dinner time.  The drumsticks or vacuum packed and safely stashed in the freezer.

There was just enough extra skin for this tiny wonderful little pan which Kerry came across here yesterday.  Not only will we have a tiny bit of crispy chicken skin, we will also have the beginnings of a well seasoned cast-iron pan. 

1A5AA076-3583-4D19-A137-F945A53781CD.thumb.jpeg.628ec8e94fe126095dcc465ea60f7422.jpeg7E9E81EA-C979-4AD9-8219-ED9E28D6A835.thumb.jpeg.129dc38d6ad22cccd238a7650b89ddda.jpeg

Edited because I managed to muck it up. 

264E430D-DF3D-4A22-A690-4C1EC09A32B8.jpeg

FC4A7C86-50EE-4691-A63E-EF40354E299B.jpeg

The beef shank vacuum packed and ready to go into the sous vide.  I tried my best to show you how thick it was in the second photograph.

Edited by Anna N
To rearrange photographs and add text (log)
  • Like 11

My 2004 eG Blog

2 minutes ago, rotuts said:

this one ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXBig_vTp90&t=274s&frags=pl%2Cwn

bs.jpg.bcd4fb38ffd3fc7002d8871104c8ab07.jpg

look forward you your comments.

That is the one.  I forewent the thyme since Kerry is not a big fan of that herb.  (It’s my favourite.)

My 2004 eG Blog

CDB39AF7-C90A-479E-A153-49EE014FBD2E.thumb.jpeg.8726acee2dd6bd55ea13a064f20c4805.jpeg

Smoked Benedictine blue with some of Kerry‘s lovely bread from this morning.  

• Like 15
  • Delicious 1

My 2004 eG Blog

Production almost came to a screaming halt when I discovered that there was not enough sugar to make my Asian pear pickles. But Kerry found time between seeing patients to run off to the grocery store and grab some sugar. 

D8675126-E1FE-4011-B534-EBA3C6A407E9.thumb.jpeg.ade85e5992df2e6a3c9737d3f22e58fe.jpeg

The mise which I’m pretty sure you have seen before.   Sugar is in the sauce pan and missing from the picture is the salt but I did remember it ultimately.

D4087F7C-CB4D-4D10-A0B7-AB53080C8237.thumb.jpeg.316feaff40b0e366098a87f20036e11a.jpeg

These will now sit on the counter at room temperature for 24 hours before being put into the refrigerator to be enjoyed a few days from today.

On the subject of checking if you have the ingredients before you start a recipe… Kerry is now back at the grocery store trying to acquire a bottle of roasted sesame oil for tonight’s dinner. It’s pretty hard to avoid it since the recipe is called Sesame roasted chicken or something very similar so the oil is integral to the flavour profile.  In other words, it won’t taste good without it.xD (Might not taste good even with it. Never made it before.)

Both sugar and sesame oil are such staples that it never occurred to me to check if they existed.  

• Like 12
  • Haha 4

My 2004 eG Blog

23 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Production almost came to a screaming halt when I discovered that there was not enough sugar to make my Asian pear pickles. But Kerry found time between seeing patients to run off to the grocery store and grab some sugar.

One does as one must when pickles hang in the balance. 

• Haha 4

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Just now, lindag said:

I'm sure we've all managed to assume we have some staple on hand

only to discover there's with none or not enough.

My nemesis is always flour.  I always think I have another bag downstairs when I don't.

• Like 3

0EAECDDB-91D5-44C2-BCA6-3FA913F542E8.thumb.jpeg.1a4eefdbaaad7aa16de7476e7e103bfc.jpeg

Dinner is served but Kerry is off practising her needlework skills on somebody’s anatomy. 

• Like 17
  • Delicious 1

My 2004 eG Blog

D2F6170E-5A32-45EE-8085-48B66E9A042C.thumb.jpeg.061c937c31c8aae1f82c5433055e1d67.jpeg

Almost forgot to post my Negroni which Kerry poured for me even though she can’t drink tonight. Now that’s the measure of a true friend. 

• Like 18

My 2004 eG Blog

Well Kerry made it home long enough to enjoy some of the chicken before it was cold. Didn’t last long though.  She’s back at the hospital again.  

I am taking a well earned rest. At least I think I earned it. Going to kick back in my chair for the rest of the evening.

• Like 10

My 2004 eG Blog

4 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I am taking a well earned rest. At least I think I earned it. Going to kick back in my chair for the rest of the evening.

If you didn't earn it, I'm in trouble. You've probably done more today than I have and I'm kicking back on the couch watching the recap of today's Tour de France stage as I type this. I got my grocery shopping, laundry and housework done yesterday after work just so I could not have to do it today. I even ate leftovers tonight so I wouldn't have to cook. I'd planned to make peach ice cream today until I realized that the container for my ice cream machine that I always keep in the freezer ready to use, I for some reason did not put back in the freezer the last time I used it. So I didn't even have to do that. :D I did get another batch of chocolate working in the machine though.

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Good morning. Another beautiful day on the waterfront. Currently 21° heading for a high of 26°. I suspect it will get higher than that.

Yesterday, just when I thought I had finished for the day and was already in bed, I remembered that I needed to send the beef shank for a swim in the sous vide bath.  I am anal about getting it to temperature before I introduce the meat. Apparently that is not the way everyone does it. And the wait for that water to reach 68.3°C almost did me in!   Perhaps next time I will toss it in there and let it come to temperature along with the water. That makes me nervous.

Kerry has rounds this morning but once that is over with she is off for the rest of the day.  So far I have no plans. I am thinking about breakfast and it will probably be a poached egg on a slice of Kerry’s bread which I will toast in the CSO.  I will wait until Kerry has left to do that as she is in the kitchen making treats at the moment.

• Like 12

My 2004 eG Blog