• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Nice lists.  I checked my black and white composition book labeled Gastronomy and Food History and have quite a few of them in there.  I am especially looking forward to the Edna Lewis , Diana Henry and Edward Lee books.  Just picked up The Immigrant Cookbook which seems very timely.  Unfortunately it is adding more books to look at to my notebook..........

Anyone looked into Saladish, by Ilene Rosen? City Kitchen cooked from it in the NYT today. Looks interesting. I may have to get it.

Clickety

50 minutes ago, kayb said:

Anyone looked into Saladish, by Ilene Rosen? City Kitchen cooked from it in the NYT today. Looks interesting. I may have to get it.

Clickety

I thought I would grab a sample (Kindle) copy but apparently it will not be released in Canada until April 3. Very strange.

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

I thought I would grab a sample (Kindle) copy but apparently it will not be released in Canada until April 3. Very strange.

I believe that Kindle sample is the same as preview option.  You can go to US Amazon and take a look at it.  May be I am wrong and there is a difference...

19 minutes ago, chefmd said:

I believe that Kindle sample is the same as preview option.  You can go to US Amazon and take a look at it.  May be I am wrong and there is a difference...

Thanks.  I’m quite sure it is. My surprise was that it was not released in Canada. I much prefer to read a sample than to use the preview option on the Amazon site. 

I wish they would include the list of recipes with previews.  That would help me to decide if I want the book or not.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, chefmd said:

I wish they would include the list of recipes with previews.  That would help me to decide if I want the book or not.

I wholeheartedly agree.  A lot of the previews tell you little to nothing about what is actually in the book.  If I can't tell what's in the book, chances are slim to none that I will buy it.

• Like 1

Over at Eat Your Books they are introducing a new preview feature on selected books including one to two recipes from the book.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Anna N said:

Thanks.  I’m quite sure it is. My surprise was that it was not released in Canada. I much prefer to read a sample than to use the preview option on the Amazon site. 

Saladish hasn't been released as a Kindle in the US either. it's only on the site as a pre-order and no preview or sample is available yet. It's going to be released April 3 in both countries. But the hard-cover is available already - that's strange!

Saladish.thumb.jpg.0f7ea81b15c5a9af482af18a3abb8a56.jpg

Edited by FauxPas to add image (log)

Yep. Very strange.

• Like 1

Amazon didn't offer the preview option in the US, either.

• Similar Content

• By ElsieD
      I got an e-mail this morning about the Modernist team's next project - pizza! 

Modernist Pizza is Underway!
      After taking on the world of bread, we’re thrilled to announce the topic of our next book: pizza. Modernist Pizza will explore the science, history, equipment, technology, and people that have made pizza so beloved.

Authors Nathan Myhrvold and Francisco Migoya, with the Modernist Cuisine team, are currently at work conducting extensive research and testing long-held pizza-making beliefs; this quest for knowledge has already taken them to cities across the United States, Italy, and beyond. The result of their work will be a multivolume cookbook that includes both traditional and innovative recipes for pizzas found around the globe along with techniques that will help you make pizza the way you like it.

Modernist Pizza is in its early stages, and although we’ve begun to dig in, we still have a lot of work ahead of us. Although we can’t guarantee when it will arrive at your door just yet, we can promise that this book will deliver the complete story of pizza as it’s never been told before.

In the meantime, we would love to hear from you as we continue to research pizza from around the world. Contact pizza@modernistcuisine.com to tell us about your favorite pizzerias and their pizza. Connect with us on social media to get all the latest Modernist Pizza updates.
    • By JoNorvelleWalker
      Tonight I finished Kristen Kish Cooking, Recipes and Techniques.  Alas these are restaurant or competition dishes, and while I would probably enjoy most of them, I saw nothing that I am compelled to cook.  Nor for that matter am competent to cook.  I commend her for sharing them.  I appreciate her definition of culinary terms.  My only gripe is that after assuring us she uses a Packojet at work, her ice cream recipes call for a home ice cream maker.

Kristen moved me.  I was taken by her back story as a gay interracial adoptee.  I can relate to that.

• By Smokeydoke
      After a delightful brunch at Koslow's Sqirl restaurant in Los Angeles, I've decided to attempt to cook through her cookbook. I'll post my results here.

Please follow along and join in, if you're so inclined. Her food is wonderful, but I will surmise that her true deliciousness comes from using the best and freshest ingredients. I'll do my best to recreate the magic I felt at Sqirl.

Here's the link to her book at Eat Your Books.
    • By Chris Hennes
      A few weeks ago I checked out a copy of Madhur Jaffrey's Vegetarian India from the library, and it is well on its way to earning a permanent place in my collection. I've really enjoyed the recipes I've cooked from it so far, and thought I'd share a few of them here. Of course, if anyone else has cooked anything from the book please share your favorites here, too.

To kick things off, something that appears in nearly every meal I've cooked this month... a yogurt dish such as

Simple Seasoned Yogurt, South Indian-Style (p. 324)

• By CCB
      I used my homemade toffee in a cookie recipe hoping that the toffee will add a crunch to the cookie... it didn't turn out well as the toffee melted and didn't keep its hardened crunch form. How can I prevent my toffee from melting in my cookie recipe?