• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2018

liuzhou

48 minutes ago, CantCookStillTry said:

Is it really Quiche if it is crustless? 

At this point, as long as it uses up Ham I really don't care.

20181231_145305.thumb.jpg.16b9b9bc553729cba68c108aebd1b8da.jpg

I think its a frittata...and I have exactly the same problem with left over ham...... Ham steaks, ham & eggs, toasted ham & cheese & tomato, ham& egg sandwiches (both hot & cold), ham sandwiches with pickles...still to come ham & mushroom quiche and ham & jalapeno Frittata.

• Like 5

Be kind first.

Be nice.

(If you don't know the difference then you need to do some research)

5 minutes ago, Bernie said:

I think its a frittata...

I argued this for some time until I was backed into a corner by Semantics - the baked Egg dish debate rumbles on in my house! 

Yes. I was gifted a 4kg ham at work the day before I picked up my 5kg ham from the butcher. 😅

Ham croissants, Ham and Eggs 6 ways, sandwiches, pastas - and not to forget, the occasional plate of just Ham for dinner! 

This is why I have not been posting my evening meals!  

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

9 hours ago, Bernie said:

I think its a frittata...and I have exactly the same problem with left over ham...... Ham steaks, ham & eggs, toasted ham & cheese & tomato, ham& egg sandwiches (both hot & cold), ham sandwiches with pickles...still to come ham & mushroom quiche and ham & jalapeno Frittata.

I vacuum-seal ham in about half-pound portions and freeze it. Grind some up in the food processor and make ham croquettes or deviled ham spread. I also make ham and cheese rolls, just like one would make cinnamon rolls, but with ground ham and grated cheese for a filling. Ham and scalloped potatoes. Shredded ham baked with eggs en cocotte. 

I wonder if one could make up a breakfast casserole with the bread, eggs, cream, cheese and ham, and freeze it, to thaw and bake later?

• Like 4

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

36B3CB71-C157-4ABA-9732-6C65D7B016DF.thumb.jpeg.7125609810ade30979b86967ab511578.jpeg

Dinner yesterday. Pickled cucumbers, simmered kabocha squash, McDonald’s chicken McNuggets, pickled Asian pears and cut up tomatoes and mayonnaise. Warm sake.

My memory of the chicken McNuggets was way better than the reality of the chicken McNuggets .

• Like 4
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 6

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

15 hours ago, CantCookStillTry said:

I argued this for some time until I was backed into a corner by Semantics - the baked Egg dish debate rumbles on in my house! 

You can use the Persian name and call it a kuku...most people don't know enough about Iranian food to argue over it. :)

• Like 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Dinner in the dark again, literally. I have brightened the photos considerably.

VOroM7x.jpg

Meatball tagine, broad bean soup and couscous with some sweet fruits.

lCDkspg.jpg

lPCPIA7.jpg

RhpCZUT.jpg

Kitchen is directly in front of me behind the screen and the only light.

qj4vU3b.jpg

To my right. In reality it's dark as a toom.

2P9JmqX.jpg

• Like 13

D709AC29-1A11-4D2C-B6F0-B4C7DEE448EC.thumb.jpeg.d1b6eb5c1af7665da15391986dbc6cdc.jpeg

A bit of a cultural mishmash to end 2018.

Duck fat fried potatoes, duck breast, braised red cabbage and carrot and parsnip kinpira.  Warm sake as a beverage.

• Like 14
  • Delicious 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

A wine and cheese dinner as I settle in to bring in the new year in my preferred fashion -- alone, on the couch, watching football and reading, with my munchkin pug for company.

266909712_nyewineandcheese.png.a5aa9d0fa175536aad5b40ff0685ede4.png

Counterclockwise from 3 o'clock, Dansk blue, fontina, preserved walnuts, Castelvetrano olives, and a perfectly ripened Bosc pear.  Wine is cheap plonk from a box (Bota box red blend), but I like it. 

Happy New Year, all y'all.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

@Robenco15 : beautifully cooked beef! Is that puff pastry or is that bread dough of some kind around the beef?
We had a late Christmas dinner at our daughter and BF's new "old" house - built in 1908. It's been beautifully renovated, especially the kitchen, and I was excited to help her host her first family gathering.  16 of us gathered, and I prepared and cooked 5 Beef Wellingtons, and one vegetarian one. Having two ovens and 6 burners made our prep. so easy.

Her 10-foot dining room table arrived just in time for the dinner. The 4 little granddaughters had their own seating at the island.

1242026608_XmasBeefWellington8062.thumb.jpg.e1f9c16486048117851892736e10c218.jpg

Four of the Wellingtons were medium rare while this one was at medium for those who preferred it.

1635864768_XmasWellingtonSliced8063.jpg.9d92c5f9803b68e34093b4169c24d554.jpg

I made a huge English trifle which we forgot to take a picture of, and her future M-i-l brought Pavlova. We also had a great variety of tarts, little mince meat pies, shortbread, fruit cake, Vinertarta, etc. etc for dessert

Pavolva8077.jpg.9a7212bcbcf60975f176848fca80b71a.jpg

In the end, we had one smaller Wellington left over, which was devoured for brunch.

We came home on the 29th, still full from the night before, so we had bacon and eggs for supper.

Tonight, our last meal of 2018, we had Gordon Ramsay's Spicy Lamb Shanks, Basmati rice, carrots and asparagus for supper.

1134034624_LastSupperof20198141.jpg.dd56d5a94bfad2fd3f3c528d99ab4b04.jpg

Thanks for sharing all your fabulous meals!   Happy New Year to you all!

• Like 14

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

1 hour ago, Dejah said:

@Robenco15 : beautifully cooked beef! Is that puff pastry or is that bread dough of some kind around the beef?
We had a late Christmas dinner at our daughter and BF's new "old" house - built in 1908. It's been beautifully renovated, especially the kitchen, and I was excited to help her host her first family gathering.  16 of us gathered, and I prepared and cooked 5 Beef Wellingtons, and one vegetarian one. Having two ovens and 6 burners made our prep. so easy.

Her 10-foot dining room table arrived just in time for the dinner. The 4 little granddaughters had their own seating at the island.

1242026608_XmasBeefWellington8062.thumb.jpg.e1f9c16486048117851892736e10c218.jpg

Four of the Wellingtons were medium rare while this one was at medium for those who preferred it.

1635864768_XmasWellingtonSliced8063.jpg.9d92c5f9803b68e34093b4169c24d554.jpg

I made a huge English trifle which we forgot to take a picture of, and her future M-i-l brought Pavlova. We also had a great variety of tarts, little mince meat pies, shortbread, fruit cake, Vinertarta, etc. etc for dessert

Pavolva8077.jpg.9a7212bcbcf60975f176848fca80b71a.jpg

In the end, we had one smaller Wellington left over, which was devoured for brunch.

We came home on the 29th, still full from the night before, so we had bacon and eggs for supper.

Tonight, our last meal of 2018, we had Gordon Ramsay's Spicy Lamb Shanks, Basmati rice, carrots and asparagus for supper.

1134034624_LastSupperof20198141.jpg.dd56d5a94bfad2fd3f3c528d99ab4b04.jpg

Thanks for sharing all your fabulous meals!   Happy New Year to you all!

Beautiful food.  But I must say I thought a Wellington was what one ate when trapped in pack ice searching for the Northwest Passage, after all of one's toes were frozen off.

• Haha 3

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Wow. Already amazed by the quality New Years feasts being posted - and half of you aren't even awake yet. 

We ummm, over indulged on the liquid courses, and craved dirty fast food. Un? Fortunately even if anyone could drive there is none available locally. 

20181231_214845.thumb.jpg.388ab04f2ab1c1590e73e1480ee94c41.jpg

Yes my burgers have a bit of a lean going on. So did I. 

• Like 7
  • Delicious 1
  • Haha 4

Happy New Year!!!!

So many wonderful NY Eve dinners. 

@Robenco15 Your Beef Wellington is perfect.   I keep coming back to your post.

1421284761_LobsterNewYearsEve20181.thumb.jpg.2a6b2470dccd782c02b2a3a24dcbb2ba.jpg

As is our tradition, we had lobster for dinner.

I steamed three lobsters, two were 2 lbs each and one was just over 2 lbs. Cracked the shells and pulled the tail meat out, to make it easier to eat, and then finished them on the grill.

Served with clarified butter (with a cracked garlic clove).

Our shared platter.

• Like 15