Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Toliver

Crazy Good e-Book Bargains

Recommended Posts

Don't know if this is of any interest but  the kindle version of Alex Guarnaschelli's The Home Cook has been marked down to $2.99 for however long. 

 

The Home Cook: Recipes to Know by Heart

 

And add me to those whose ebook cook book collection is so large it would run me out of my apartment if I had the physical books. I still love a real cookbook, but I can't resist the chance to read and sample a wide variety of cook books from classics to the latest hot thing with little money and no need for shelf space.  


Edited by Smithy Adjusted Amazon link to be eG-friendly (log)
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, thurbers said:

Don't know if this is of any interest but  the kindle version of Alex Guarnaschelli's The Home Cook has been marked down to $2.99 for however long. 

 

The Home Cook: Recipes to Know by Heart

 

And add me to those whose ebook cook book collection is so large it would run me out of my apartment if I had the physical books. I still love a real cookbook, but I can't resist the chance to read and sample a wide variety of cook books from classics to the latest hot thing with little money and no need for shelf space.  

 

 

Her introduction alone (in the Sample) is worth 3 bucks.  Thanks (I think) for this link! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmmm. At Amazon.ca the Kindle version is a dollar more than the hardcopy and at $36.98 I gave it to pass.   :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Hmmm. At Amazon.ca the Kindle version is a dollar more than the hardcopy and at $36.98 I gave it to pass.   :D

 

:o

 

Pass? That price would have had me sprinting away in terror. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Earlier this week, the Smitten Kitchen blog gave a shout-out to The Essential Instant Pot Cookbook: Fresh and Foolproof Recipes for Your Electric Pressure Cooker.  Since the Kindle edition is currently $2.99 on Amazon.com (not on Amazon.ca), I bought it.   

I haven't cooked anything from it yet but it seems like a solid Instant Pot cookbook - uses the IP for what it does well, doesn't try to make it do everything, has a good section of Instant Pot basics/FAQs and a section on adapting recipes for the IP.  

 

Personally, I found some of the recipes in Melissa Clark's Dinner in an Instant (NOT on sale!) more interesting to me, but think my $2.99 was well spent on this one. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, thurbers said:

Don't know if this is of any interest but  the kindle version of Alex Guarnaschelli's The Home Cook has been marked down to $2.99 for however long. 

 

The Home Cook: Recipes to Know by Heart

 

And add me to those whose ebook cook book collection is so large it would run me out of my apartment if I had the physical books. I still love a real cookbook, but I can't resist the chance to read and sample a wide variety of cook books from classics to the latest hot thing with little money and no need for shelf space.  

 

 

Done!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, I'm Toliver the Enabler ;)

 

There were a lot of previously mentioned cookbooks (some from at least 1 year ago) but i won't list them again with one exception:

 

"Bean By Bean: A Cookbook: More than 175 Recipes for Fresh Beans, Dried Beans, Cool Beans, Hot Beans, Savory Beans, Even Sweet Beans!" Kindle Edition $1.20US

Odd price, even for a cookbook on sale...

 

"The Hummingbird Bakery Cookbook: The number one best-seller now revised and expanded with new recipes" Kindle Edition $0.99US

 

Wesley Avila's "Guerrilla Tacos: Recipes from the Streets of L.A." Kindle Edition $2.99US

See the "Look Inside" feature to see his list of salsa recipes.

 

The Deceptively Easy Dessert Cookbook: Simple Recipes for Extraordinary No-Bake & Baked Sweets" Kindle Edition $1.99US (read the fine print regarding the actual price)

 

"Simply Beautiful Homemade Cakes: Extraordinary Recipes and Easy Decorating Techniques" Kindle Edition $2.99US

 

Michele Scicolone's "The French Slow Cooker" Kindle Edition $2.99US

It has a blurb by Dorie Greenspan in the book info. Two recipes from the cookbook are listed on this book's info page.

 

Here's the "Previously mentioned cookbook on sale":

"Lucky Peach Presents 101 Easy Asian Recipes" Kindle Edition $1.99US

 

I am a US Prime member and the prices you see may vary.

 

 

 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Toliver said:

Hi, I'm Toliver the Enabler ;)

 

There were a lot of previously mentioned cookbooks (some from at least 1 year ago) but i won't list them again with one exception:

 

"Bean By Bean: A Cookbook: More than 175 Recipes for Fresh Beans, Dried Beans, Cool Beans, Hot Beans, Savory Beans, Even Sweet Beans!" Kindle Edition $1.20US

Odd price, even for a cookbook on sale...

 

 

Note the digital list price of Bean by Bean is $1.99, so if the sale price had been $1.99 it would not have been much of a bargain.

 

In addition to beans and Lucky Peach I also picked up Phoenix Claws and Jade Trees for $1.99.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Toliver said:

Hi, I'm Toliver the Enabler ;)

Not this time. xD

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had to get Bean by Bean just because I haven't heard of Crescent Dragonwagon for ages. She's a former hippie who settled for a time in Eureka Springs, AR, and got all into herbalism and natural foods and such. Interesting character.

 

And the Hummingbird Cookbook. I might actually bake something sweet, one of these days.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Toliver said:

 

I have to ask - how do you find these offers?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ElsieD said:

 

I have to ask - how do you find these offers?

I confess I stumble on to them.

I do use the daily Bookbub email notification but have found they only recommend a single cookbook per day (Pikers! xD).

I look at the info pages for cookbooks I am considering (but often bypass) and down below the main info section of the cookbook is a listing called "Customers who bought this item also bought". I peruse those cookbooks (use the side arrows to zip through about 15 pages of other cookbooks offered) and often find the proverbial "diamond in the rough"...meaning a cookbook on sale for a bargain-basement price. Note that I skip the "Sponsored Products related to this item" section as I don't need shilled items thrown at me, please. ¬¬

The two cookbooks I posted above were discovered in this manner.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Grabbed that one not 20 minutes before you posted it. If you will look at Amazon, under Kindle Books and Cookbooks, they will give you an option for "deals." It'll be a dozen or so el cheapo cookbooks. I contemplated, but decided against, Tartine, at 2.99. I just don't bake that many sweets.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I picked up the Wolfert, DiGregorio, and Bloomfield.

 

As to sources, I saw in an email the other day that the Eat Your Books folks are going to be offering a compilation of Kindle cookbook bargains.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I picked up the Wolfert, DiGregorio, and Bloomfield.

 

As to sources, I saw in an email the other day that the Eat Your Books folks are going to be offering a compilation of Kindle cookbook bargains.

 

They've been doing it for some time and update the list often, as things change. It's my regular resource.  

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

They've been doing it for some time and update the list often, as things change. It's my regular resource.  

 

Their idea of a sale price and my idea of a bargain basement price ($2.99US or lower) are nowhere near each other.

Still, any source of a sale listing is better than none at all.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Toliver said:

Their idea of a sale price and my idea of a bargain basement price ($2.99US or lower) are nowhere near each other.

Still, any source of a sale listing is better than none at all.

 Annoys me because it claims to send the member to the appropriate Amazon site which for me would be Amazon.ca but it always sends me to Amazon.com. 

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×