• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kicking back in Manitoulin

Anna N

7 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Not at all - we laughed heartily! We are both Jonathan Swift fans.

8 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Nothing wrong with your sense of humour and nobody's feelings were hurt at this end of the game.  

xD

Ok, good.  I will carry on with no worries :P

• Like 7

@Kerry Beal, do you ever get gifts of fish from those hapless fisherpeople? To show their gratitude? Or is it more likely that a person who gets a hook in their body will catch no fish? And are they usually male or a good number of females also? Is alcohol usually involved?  xDxDxD

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, FauxPas said:

@Kerry Beal, do you ever get gifts of fish from those hapless fisherpeople? To show their gratitude? Or is it more likely that a person who gets a hook in their body will catch no fish? And are they usually male or a good number of females also? Is alcohol usually involved?  xDxDxD

Never had a gift of fish. Males definitely outnumber females. Strangely alcohol doesn't usually seem to be involved with fish hook injuries but it sure is with head lacerations. 

• Like 9

Two places to work tomorrow - so have to have two baked things to take. Got lazy - made a double batch of my mom's recipe for rhubarb date cake/muffins and made some of each.

IMG_5204.jpg.b304c7d5b0a4f6068aa2d95ee9007410.jpg

IMG_5206.jpg.dffc7b9d1db3e616c9fe981cb4379a92.jpg

• Like 9

Anna, don't think me nosy but who takes care of your house guest cat while you're away?

I'm a rabid pet owner so that's what I think of first.

Edited by lindag (log)

5 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

Haruump!

I grew up on a sailboat. I fished frequently. Remember catching my sister really well one time when she was standing behind me. Think that counts as her being in the proximity of an idiot!

• Like 10

10 hours ago, lindag said:

Anna, don't think me nosy but who takes care of your house guest cat while you're away?

I'm a rabid pet owner so that's what I think of first.

No fosters at present. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Good morning. It is shaping up to be a busy day. Kerry has gone off to Wiki (Wikwemikong) to work  and I need to deal with some of the food that we have recently brought into the condo. Here's my to do list for what it's worth:

Deal with rib cap (trim, portion, re-package for sous-vide)

Do two loads of laundry

Divide up ground beef and vacuum seal

Consider cooking the sirloin roast for this evening and for sandwiches later on

Figure out what to do with all the spinach I so carefully washed yesterday dodging all the wildlife. Would like to find something that could be reheated at dinner time.?Creamed spinach,? Spinach gratin

I am certain most of you would consider this a little more than an hour's work  but for me it's a bit of a challenge.

image.jpeg.0ddf2444f6067310e48c25c5b12c672f.jpeg

But first breakfast. Pan-toasted ciabatta bun, Moody Blue cheese and some cherries washed down by my 2nd cup of coffee.

• Like 11

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

14 hours ago, Anna N said:

Here's the Problem. In theory you think it's gonna work.  This asparagus, despite being pencil thin, really did not cook in the amount of time one would allow for the puff pastry.  Fortunately we were not at a cocktail party trying to maintain our dignity as we found that the only way to eat it was to attempt to reach the end of a stalk of asparagus  because it certainly wasn't going to bow down to any attempt to bite off dainty bits. So we ended up in an undignified situation where we were basically slurping asparagus stalks as you might spaghetti when you were six or seven years old!  

I would call this Fun, not a problem...

Teo

• Like 5

Teo

27 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Deal with rib cap (trim, portion, re-package for sous-vide)

Do two loads of laundry

Divide up ground beef and vacuum seal

Consider cooking the sirloin roast for this evening and for sandwiches later on

Figure out what to do with all the spinach I so carefully washed yesterday dodging all the wildlife. Would like to find something that could be reheated at dinner time.?Creamed spinach,? Spinach gratin

No, I do not think this an hour's work. In fact it is so ambitious it makes me tired. Of the five tasks I would winnow it down to three. First I would consider the sirloin. But I would dismiss it in favor of reading David Foster Wallace's essay "Consider the Lobster." Then I would deal with the spinach and make a gratin, something that is even better heated up the next day  and which you can then appreciate how little work it takes to reheat anything. Also I would try to squeeze in one load of laundry, just so Kerry doesn't think you are a slacker. So, advice you can really get behind, right? Have a nice day, and I really mean that!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Katie Meadow said:

No, I do not think this an hour's work. In fact it is so ambitious it makes me tired. Of the five tasks I would winnow it down to three. First I would consider the sirloin. But I would dismiss it in favor of reading David Foster Wallace's essay "Consider the Lobster." Then I would deal with the spinach and make a gratin, something that is even better heated up the next day  and which you can then appreciate how little work it takes to reheat anything. Also I would try to squeeze in one load of laundry, just so Kerry doesn't think you are a slacker. So, advice you can really get behind, right? Have a nice day, and I really mean that!

Thank you for the support I really do appreciate it. Have not yet read the book you mentioned perhaps I should. And to be fair to Kerry If I stayed in my chair all day long lifting nothing heavier than a glass of wine Kerry would be perfectly OK with it. She does not expect me to do anything up here except basically enjoy myself. But she and I both know that inactivity only adds to my troubles and I really do need to move even if it's in short spurts. I am making much better progress than I expected. I can cross off the list the ground beef, the rib cap mostly.  One load of laundry is washed, dried and folded and the other is in the dryer.  At the moment I would say the spinach is my biggest challenge only because I can't decide what the heck I'm going to do with it.  

• Like 7

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Kerry Beal said:

Newest resident of the Wiki nursing home

I don't think this is on at all.  I'm thinking you're slaving away in Wiki while all you're doing is nursing a puppy!   I may have to call a cab.

• Like 5

My 2004 eG Blog

31 minutes ago, Anna N said:

At the moment I would say the spinach is my biggest challenge only because I can't decide what the heck I'm going to do with it.  

Spinach and cheese strata? It can sit for hours before cooking. Can be part of dinner or breakfast or lunch. A couple of approaches:

https://smittenkitchen.com/2009/12/spinach-and-cheese-strata/

http://www.marthastewart.com/340991/spinach-and-cheddar-strata

• Like 1

Saag paneer? Spanakopita? Maybe steam/microwave some spinach and save for another night, lasagne or something? 

"Popeye" pizza? Spinach gnocchi? Spinach borscht?

Edited by FauxPas (log)

40 minutes ago, FauxPas said:

Spanakopita?

I love spanakopti but isn't it rather labor-intensive?  I'd opt for the creamed spinach.

• Like 2

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

Not sure how serious I was about the spanakopita, though it can be made with purchased phyllo dough or even a variation with purchased puff pastry. (Because I'm pretty sure that all the Manitoulin stores carry these, ha! ;) )  

There's also various takes on spinach sushi. 

Edited by FauxPas (log)