Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Snacking while eGulleting... (Part 3)


Toliver
 Share

Recommended Posts

That looks better than what we had as kids: Bonomo Turkish Taffy. Same technique, smash it into pieces. Not very good, really, but we had a good source. My brother went to school with Michael Bonomo.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Katie Meadow said:

That looks better than what we had as kids: Bonomo Turkish Taffy. Same technique, smash it into pieces. Not very good, really, but we had a good source. My brother went to school with Michael Bonomo.

 

I have a few bars of Bonomo's in the bedroom.  Sadly it's not very kind to my old teeth.

 

  • Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Katie Meadow said:

That looks better than what we had as kids: Bonomo Turkish Taffy. Same technique, smash it into pieces. Not very good, really, but we had a good source. My brother went to school with Michael Bonomo.

Is this the real thing from the 40's and 50's?  If so, I've been trying to find the stuff my whole life.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

I prefer Original Cheez-Its, but I like the Extra Toasty,too.  I have some of the Extra Cheesy now.  Figured I would like those more than Original, but I don't.  I haven't tried a lot of the varieties.  I've had White Cheddar which was okay, but I still preferred Original.  I've also had Grooves, I think just the basic, original  version of those.  I like them but don't really consider them a Cheez-It.  I've also had the  Cheez-Its Puff'd Double Cheese.  Did not like those and don't consider them to be a Cheez-It either.  They're more or less an inferior version of Baked Cheetos shaped like a square. I ended up using those as dog treats. He liked them, so it wasn't a total loss.  And I've had Cheez-Its Snap'd Double Cheese.  Those are more like Cheez-Its but were a little too sweet for my tastes.

Edited by Chimayo Joe (log)
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

These have become a serious addiction. They are small (2½ inch / 6.5 cm long), spicy pork sausages from Guizhou province in China, made by the Tujia ethic minority. Each package contains two of the sausages. The packages are colour coded.

 

The orange ones are the least spicy -  merely incendiary. The red are hotter - nuclear. And the purple are thermonuclear. I always eat three packs in ascending order of spice. Beer is required.

I buy these in lots of 100 packages of each at a time.

 

254809282_GuizhouSausages.thumb.jpg.91fbb650f286ef6350b105d97538d76f.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 5
  • Delicious 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

 

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Technically, this could have been in the lunch thread, as I made it around 14.30h. Didn’t feel like lunch, though …

 

Instant ramen (Nissin Shrimp), upgraded with the mayo/garlic/chili crisp treatment plus a fried egg on top. 4 min to make, 3 to eat: snack 😉

 

8AC547AB-5BC3-48A2-AB84-06D66D6FDA5D.thumb.jpeg.311c88573590945e35c66ce8666b0b67.jpeg

  • Like 7
  • Delicious 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Duvel said:

Technically, this could have been in the lunch thread, as I made it around 14.30h. Didn’t feel like lunch, though …

 

Instant ramen (Nissin Shrimp), upgraded with the mayo/garlic/chili crisp treatment plus a fried egg on top. 4 min to make, 3 to eat: snack 😉

 

8AC547AB-5BC3-48A2-AB84-06D66D6FDA5D.thumb.jpeg.311c88573590945e35c66ce8666b0b67.jpeg

Four minutes to make, 3 minutes to eat, and 2 hours to clean off your keyboard!

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Katie Meadow said:

Four minutes to make, 3 minutes to eat, and 2 hours to clean off your keyboard!


Luckily, I do not own a keyboard 🤗

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, Duvel said:

Luckily, I do not own a keyboard 🤗

Well that’s good to know because I’ve read that post 100 times trying to figure out where the laptop came in. 

  • Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Well that’s good to know because I’ve read that post 100 times trying to figure out where the laptop came in. 

Funny thing when I read it - I wondered if someone was watching me flip a fried egg onto my keyboard this morning - fortunately it didn't break so all I got was greasy keys.

  • Haha 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Funny thing when I read it - I wondered if someone was watching me flip a fried egg onto my keyboard this morning - fortunately it didn't break so all I got was greasy keys.

Pretty sure you should do the lottery or something.  That's damn lucky!

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think I finally figured out that it is assumed that if one is snacking while browsing the forums one must have a keyboard. But like @DuvelI own nothing with a keyboard!

  • Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Anna N said:

I think I finally figured out that it is assumed that if one is snacking while browsing the forums one must have a keyboard. But like @DuvelI own nothing with a keyboard!

So let's just say that "keyboard" is a metaphor and I don't know what you are spilling your eggs on. My keyboard is an actual thing, as I am a luddite who still likes a laptop. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Katie Meadow said:

So let's just say that "keyboard" is a metaphor and I don't know what you are spilling your eggs on. My keyboard is an actual thing, as I am a luddite who still likes a laptop. 

Me too. My nemesis is tea - hot or iced. I took the sticker from the last fiasco and put it on my bulletin board as a constant reminder. It has my name, IT company's name and says "water damage". My favorite tech there says he has a little table next to his set-up for liquids. Makes himself turn ad drink away from keyboards.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Katie Meadow said:

So let's just say that "keyboard" is a metaphor and I don't know what you are spilling your eggs on. My keyboard is an actual thing, as I am a luddite who still likes a laptop. 

I use an iPad. There is no physical keyboard. I would not like to drown it but if I spill something on it and quickly wipe it off there is nothing to worry about. No crumbs in my keyboard! Snacking while eGulleting is not an extreme sport. 
 

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...