• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets: What Are You Making and Baking? (2017 – )

pjm333

Should you happen to stumble upon some  worthy plums

Here.

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

19 hours ago, Pete Fred said:

But don't hold your breath for any plummy delights. They were a bit 'meh', so I won't be bothering to make anything with them. However, there is a lady I know who makes lots of jam, so maybe she can turn them into sweet gold.

If you can come up with any uses for cooked fruit or a purée, consider roasting some of those plums and see what it does for them.  It will concentrate the sweetness and flavor and add a note of caramelization, depending on the time and temp you choose.  I cut them in half, place cut side down on a parchment or foil-lined baking sheet, roast @ 350°F, for 20-40 min. Cool and remove the pits. For a purée, you can whiz them skins and all in a blender or food processor and leave it as chunky as you like. 

Edited to add that I do this as a first step for any stone fruit sorbet, ice cream or popsicles

Edited by blue_dolphin
to add note (log)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, Anna N said:

Here.

Yes! I made one last year...

PlumTorte.thumb.jpg.13f9b86589940daa76d0ba992d838aa5.jpg

Such a good, no-fuss cake.

17 hours ago, heidih said:

Plums - never know.  I had a greengage tree - meh...

I think there are at least three growing nearby. I believe they're called Reine Claude here. Hopefully I'll have more luck with them. 🤞

13 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

Consider roasting some of those plums and see what it does for them. 

Well, I gave it a go, hoping for some kind of transformative alchemy to rescue things...

Plums.thumb.png.160cb6dae726ba3b2e88b7ddd1344413.png

It elevated them a bit, but not enough to justify firing up the oven again and making more batches. Having said that, if there'd been any ice cream within arm's reach, I'd happily have dolloped some on top. 👍

• Like 5
  • Delicious 1

IMG_5810.thumb.JPG.ddcbb29831c18261188d7997a9e8960a.JPG

Chocolate biscuits from which I will make an icebox cake. 

Used recipe from Bravetart for the Homemade Oreo cookies - it's a very basic recipe - no egg just butter, flour, small amount of sugar, cocoa and a bit of soda - oh yeah and a bit of golden syrup. 

• Like 8
  • Delicious 3

2 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

IMG_5810.thumb.JPG.ddcbb29831c18261188d7997a9e8960a.JPG

Chocolate biscuits from which I will make an icebox cake. 

Used recipe from Bravetart for the Homemade Oreo cookies - it's a very basic recipe - no egg just butter, flour, small amount of sugar, cocoa and a bit of soda - oh yeah and a bit of golden syrup. 

@Kerry Beal  I read through that recipe.  It does sound simple.   Do you think it also could be a sliced cookie instead of having to roll out and cut in discs?

3 hours ago, lemniscate said:

@Kerry Beal  I read through that recipe.  It does sound simple.   Do you think it also could be a sliced cookie instead of having to roll out and cut in discs?

I'm sure it could. I didn't follow the instructions - I bunged everything into the thermomix with the butter at fridge temperature and worked with it immediately. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Perhaps cookies could have been a little closer together for the classic effect. I gave the cream two spins in the pacojet - might have been a bit softer with one. 

IMG_5830.thumb.JPG.6e3b65355479ce222ab14fe37b2979b3.JPG

• Like 7
  • Delicious 1

4 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Perhaps cookies could have been a little closer together for the classic effect. I gave the cream two spins in the pacojet - might have been a bit softer with one. 

IMG_5830.thumb.JPG.6e3b65355479ce222ab14fe37b2979b3.JPG

The chocolate looks mousse-like and  he cookie spacing more of a contrast element versus the classic tight version but I  think I'd enjoy yours more :)

• Like 1

On 7/9/2023 at 2:04 AM, Anna N said:

On 7/17/2023 at 2:27 AM, Katie Meadow said:

Yep, it's a classic. For a period of time the NYT published that recipe every year because it was so loved.

Even though my plums weren't that great it seemed a shame to let the season pass without making the cake at least once...

PlumTorte.thumb.png.834ec5d279ceecbbc81963ecc0aad37f.png

The ridiculously large amount of small plums meant that the cake didn't really rise up around the fruit, hence the flatter than normal appearance.

I had it with a scoop of my new favourite thing, fig leaf ice cream...

PlumTortewithFigLeafIceCream.thumb.png.519111466611cb476701834b63b791a7.png

Last year my fig tree/plant yielded precisely one fig. But it was a great fig. So great, in fact, I was compelled to take a photo. I still dream of that fig....

Fig.thumb.jpeg.2a6d79826219149e1057a67617198147.jpeg

There's a few more this year, so hopefully I won't be trading quality for quantity...

Figs.thumb.png.91f5dcb697232ecd152f56d12988eef8.png

But even if the figs themselves disappoint, there's still plenty of leaves to put to good use. Their flavour was a revelation. (More info here.)

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

There were some pretty decent, locally grown blueberries at the market today so that was excuse enough to make a Blueberry Poppy Seed Cake...

BlueberryPoppySeedCake.thumb.png.92c104c21233bdeeb765fb2e935960cd.png

It was good. Winner of the 1990 Pillsbury Bake-Off, don'tcha know. (Some reflections here. And a NYT article for those who have access.)

It was a touch underbaked in the centre, but a couple of tweaks to the shaping of the batter and the amount of filling should improve things on that front. And I'm not sure I'll bother with the icing next time.

• Like 7
  • Delicious 3

Simple Sesame Cake by Yossy Arefi...

SimpleSesameCake.thumb.png.e632bc3f77be90d919d0dff1cb3b3ddb.png

Along with the tahini glaze to make it a 'Super Sesame Cake"...

SimpleSesameCakewithTahiniGlaze.thumb.png.553dbac7395801981456f0d04ec5dcf1.png

The texture of the cake was quite crumbly and a little 'claggy' in the mouth. Not necessarily a negative, but I'm glad I added the glaze which helped to lubricate things. Plus it really upped the tahini/halva element. Another successful bake from 'Snacking Cakes'.

• Like 10
  • Delicious 2

The Whipped Cream Cake from King Arthur was not what I had hoped for...

WhippedCreamCake.thumb.png.0ba49edd8d5fb917255fc441e3f63566.png

The filling layer largely sank and settled on the bottom...

WhippedCreamCakeCrumb.thumb.png.0d7f09530b2c491f342dc7127ff511c7.png

I often have problems with American recipes, presumably down to subtle ingredient differences, so no harm, no foul. My main issue was that the flavour profile was mostly just sweet, with the filling and topping not bringing much to the party. I already have a recipe for Drømmekage, so this one won't be elbowing it aside.

Having said all that, the main reason for making this was the intriguing use of whipped cream in place of butter or oil. And in this aspect I thought it was quite successful. The cake had a light, fluffy texture that I really liked. King Arthur say that traditionally this cake is served plain with just a dusting of icing sugar. You can mark me a traditionalist, then.

The plum trees that I thought were going to deliver Reine Claude (greengage) actually turned out to be mirabelles. Like the last lot they weren't particularly great as eating plums but it seemed a waste to let them wither so I filled a tub anyway...

Mirabelles.thumb.png.b611e7848ce1414ebf19cf73f4187443.png

...and cooked down a few into a compote with a hint of tonka, my current spice du jour...

MirabelleCompote.thumb.png.05557c3f7a8ab69f916ee0bebbc31118.png

I was pleasantly surprised; it was nice. I'll give away that box of mirabelles, but I might go back for more and fill a few freezer bags with some of that compote.

But, hands down, the best thing I made this weekend was David Lebovitz's Chocolate Sorbet...

ChocolateSorbet.thumb.png.1f2c52acdd84f398d9d68c86c656772a.png

Perhaps not the most Instagram-perfect thing you'll see today but, Oh Lordy, great texture and flavour. Highly recommended.

• Like 11
  • Delicious 1

8 minutes ago, Pete Fred said:

The Whipped Cream Cake from King Arthur was not what I had hoped for...

WhippedCreamCake.thumb.png.0ba49edd8d5fb917255fc441e3f63566.png

The filling layer largely sank and settled on the bottom...

WhippedCreamCakeCrumb.thumb.png.0d7f09530b2c491f342dc7127ff511c7.png

I often have problems with American recipes, presumably down to subtle ingredient differences, so no harm, no foul. My main issue was that the flavour profile was mostly just sweet, with the filling and topping not bringing much to the party. I already have a recipe for Drømmekage, so this one won't be elbowing it aside.

Having said all that, the main reason for making this was the intriguing use of whipped cream in place of butter or oil. And in this aspect I thought it was quite successful. The cake had a light, fluffy texture that I really liked. King Arthur say that traditionally this cake is served plain with just a dusting of icing sugar. You can mark me a traditionalist, then.

The plum trees that I thought were going to deliver Reine Claude (greengage) actually turned out to be mirabelles. Like the last lot they weren't particularly great as eating plums but it seemed a waste to let them wither so I filled a tub anyway...

Mirabelles.thumb.png.b611e7848ce1414ebf19cf73f4187443.png

...and cooked down a few into a compote with a hint of tonka, my current spice du jour...

MirabelleCompote.thumb.png.05557c3f7a8ab69f916ee0bebbc31118.png

I was pleasantly surprised; it was nice. I'll give away that box of mirabelles, but I might go back for more and fill a few freezer bags with some of that compote.

But, hands down, the best thing I made this weekend was David Lebovitz's Chocolate Sorbet...

ChocolateSorbet.thumb.png.1f2c52acdd84f398d9d68c86c656772a.png

Perhaps not the most Instagram-perfect thing you'll see today but, Oh Lordy, great texture and flavour. Highly recommended.

The @David Lebovitz chocolate sorbet looks like what one dreams a childhood fudgsicle would grow up to be.  Interesting on Tonka bean use. I;ve not had it in any dish though I'm aware of it. Always fun to play :)   Ohm many here do a biscuit that uses cream as the moisture and the fat.  https://forums.egullet.org/topic/157629-lets-cream-biscuits-recipe-by-james-beards-family-cook/

11 minutes ago, Matthew.Taylor said:

Mom’s Chocolate Chip Date Cake from “Death by Chocolate.”

Chocolate + dates is not s'mething I;ve ever done but it makes so much sense. Must experiment.

• Delicious 1

53 minutes ago, Matthew.Taylor said:

Mom’s Chocolate Chip Date Cake from “Death by Chocolate.”

IMG_0960.jpeg

IMG_0963.jpeg

IMG_0961.jpeg

IMG_0962.jpeg

I have done a couple of his recipes of this book, how do you like the Date Cake?

37 minutes ago, Matthew.Taylor said:

Dates are pretty sweet, so I suggest you start with a less sweet chocolate, and adjust to fit your taste.

Good to know, thanks

11 hours ago, Matthew.Taylor said:

Dates are pretty sweet, so I suggest you start with a less sweet chocolate, and adjust to fit your taste.

Since the recipe calls for semisweet choc., what about using less sugar?

Have you done anything else from the book?

I've made Death by Chocolate with a modification of using love letters standing erect along the edge

8 hours ago, oli said:

Since the recipe calls for semisweet choc., what about using less sugar?

Have you done anything else from the book?

I've made Death by Chocolate with a modification of using love letters standing erect along the edge

I haven’t done anything else yet (and with my schedule, it may be awhile before my next big baking project). Using less sugar may work, but I would stick to the recipe for the first time at least. Only then would I go around messing with it.

• Like 1

I still have a lot to learn about French plums. The yellow ones a few posts back were not mirabelles as I thought, just, errrrrr, yellow plums. I now know this because my neighbour let me raid her mirabelle tree...

Mirabelles.thumb.png.7231ff8bdec6e69559eb9e95e0fd9cb7.png

I thought I'd have a crack at tarte aux mirabelles...

TarteauxMirabelles.thumb.png.528e7b86357b720e70479b18ef26d07a.png

It did not turn out as I had hoped.

The basic recipe: line a ring with pastry, fill with plums, bake for an hour. Simple. I expected the plums would release a fair amount of juice so threw in some ground almonds on the bottom as insurance. But that didn't make any difference, it was just a soggy mush underneath. All the recipes I looked at didn't bother blind baking the pastry, and many also included a light custard, adding even more moisture, so I'm a little puzzled how it could turn out any different.

But all was not lost. I scraped off the roasted plums and enjoyed them on their own...

RoastedMirabelles.thumb.png.ce786e64e6e94a67b64bcd7764cb081c.png

• Like 6
  • Delicious 1