• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets: What Are You Making and Baking? (2017 – )

pjm333

25 minutes ago, Pete Fred said:

I still have a lot to learn about French plums. The yellow ones a few posts back were not mirabelles as I thought, just, errrrrr, yellow plums. I now know this because my neighbour let me raid her mirabelle tree...

Mirabelles.thumb.png.7231ff8bdec6e69559eb9e95e0fd9cb7.png

I thought I'd have a crack at tarte aux mirabelles...

TarteauxMirabelles.thumb.png.528e7b86357b720e70479b18ef26d07a.png

It did not turn out as I had hoped.

The basic recipe: line a ring with pastry, fill with plums, bake for an hour. Simple. I expected the plums would release a fair amount of juice so threw in some ground almonds on the bottom as insurance. But that didn't make any difference, it was just a soggy mush underneath. All the recipes I looked at didn't bother blind baking the pastry, and many also included a light custard, adding even more moisture, so I'm a little puzzled how it could turn out any different.

But all was not lost. I scraped off the roasted plums and enjoyed them on their own...

RoastedMirabelles.thumb.png.ce786e64e6e94a67b64bcd7764cb081c.png

I always admire a good save. The almond custard on top might have been nice with crushed toadted almonds. Fruit is not a given constant commodity. We have to adjust I find. How did they taste ripe out of hand?

My cooking and baking have become minimalist lately but my darling occasionally wants cinnamon rolls and I remembered to look for an easy-bake package in the grocery store. In the past, when I've done that, I've gotten whomp rolls of one sort or another (see here, for instance) but this time I ran across a new (to us) brand: Rhodes AnyTime! cinnamon rolls, with REAL cream cheese frosting.

"READY IN MINUTES" it proclaims on the front. We laughed when we looked at the instructions on the back. Well, I suppose 40 minutes or so still constitutes "minutes".

20230810_153432.jpg

Here's the result. Starting at top left and going clockwise: raw, as arranged on the included pan; baked, before frosting; baked and frosted; and a money shot.

20230810_154249.jpg

These were surprisingly good, and quite easy once we knew what "minutes" meant. 🙂 He'd have preferred raisins and nuts in them, but this will satisfy him for a few days. I liked these better than the Pillsbury brands we've tried so far, although I haven't tried the super-decadent "hack" discussed earlier in this topic.

• Like 5

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

1 hour ago, Smithy said:

My cooking and baking have become minimalist lately but my darling occasionally wants cinnamon rolls and I remembered to look for an easy-bake package in the grocery store. In the past, when I've done that, I've gotten whomp rolls of one sort or another (see here, for instance) but this time I ran across a new (to us) brand: Rhodes AnyTime! cinnamon rolls, with REAL cream cheese frosting.

"READY IN MINUTES" it proclaims on the front. We laughed when we looked at the instructions on the back. Well, I suppose 40 minutes or so still constitutes "minutes".

20230810_153432.jpg

Here's the result. Starting at top left and going clockwise: raw, as arranged on the included pan; baked, before frosting; baked and frosted; and a money shot.

20230810_154249.jpg

These were surprisingly good, and quite easy once we knew what "minutes" meant. 🙂 He'd have preferred raisins and nuts in them, but this will satisfy him for a few days. I liked these better than the Pillsbury brands we've tried so far, although I haven't tried the super-decadent "hack" discussed earlier in this topic.

Interesting.  I note that the Rhodes brand which you made are a yeast dough, or at least they have yeast in them.  The Pillsbury ones use baking powder, no yeast.  I'd think the yeast-raised ones would have a better (to me) texture.  I don't recall seeing the Rhodes brand here.  If they were, I'd try them.

5 hours ago, ElsieD said:

Interesting.  I note that the Rhodes brand which you made are a yeast dough, or at least they have yeast in them.  The Pillsbury ones use baking powder, no yeast.  I'd think the yeast-raised ones would have a better (to me) texture.  I don't recall seeing the Rhodes brand here.  If they were, I'd try them.

I didn't pay enough attention to the Pillsbury ingredients to notice that! Yes, the texture of this Rhodes dough was definitely better, more in keeping with my ideal cinnamon rolls. Thanks for that observation.

• Like 2

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

17 hours ago, Smithy said:

20230810_153432.jpg

20230810_154249.jpg

Thanks for posting these, @Smithy!  I just put them on my shopping list to try.  I'm thinking these and some bacon might be a good birthday breakfast for Mr. Kim. His birthday is Monday and he has to work, so it can't be too elaborate. 

Also, I'd totally forgotten about that whomp roll hack!  I need to put that in rotation!  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

Thanks for posting these, @Smithy!  I just put them on my shopping list to try.  I'm thinking these and some bacon might be a good birthday breakfast for Mr. Kim. His birthday is Monday and he has to work, so it can't be too elaborate. 

Also, I'd totally forgotten about that whomp roll hack!  I need to put that in rotation!  

I thought belatedly about bacon, and how well it would go with these. Maybe next time. Happy birthday to Mr. Kim!

• Thanks 1

This is a Philly Fluff cake, it’s a riff on a Pound Cake and everyone declared it really good….super easy to put together as well.  A simple powdered sugar topping and you’re ready to impress 

IMG_1758.thumb.jpeg.7a9ff482dfa5ccdbc667c6898f3c79ca.jpeg

• Like 4

Another tarte aux mirabelles...

MirabelleTart.thumb.png.fd492c6a56a92084cd3694a06c206642.png

But this time I blind-baked the pastry and added a clafoutis-type batter...

TarteauxMirabelles.thumb.png.372517399002a673d31ef1a6f55db372.png

No soggy bottom with this one.

I'm undecided on plain or with cream. Each has it merits. I will definitely make more next year (if the neighbour donates the plums).

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 3

@Pete Fred 

that tart looks delicious .  

I have had ripe mirabelles , and they have their own delicious flavor.

Id not be able to wait until next year 

if other local ripe plums came around to try .

appropriate adjustment to   sweet/tart taste of the ripe fruit.

think of all those potential shells sitting there waiting !

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, rotuts said:

if other local ripe plums came around to try .

think of all those potential shells sitting there waiting !

Indeed. I ate a fruit called a brugnon over the weekend and it absolutely blew my socks off. The internet says it's a type of nectarine, but it was better than any nectarine or peach I've ever had. They were the last half-dozen sorry-looking ones about to wither on a friend's tree, so unfortunately that supply is a bust until next year. I'll be keeping an eye out at the farmers' market for more.

• Thanks 1

@Smithy - I did do the sweet rolls, though there was a bit of a SNAFU - I'll post about it on the Breakfast thread since that what I used them for (or at least I meant to).

The 14th was Mr. Kim’s birthday.  His requested dessert was Raisin Pie.  ?????   Huh? I was perplexed.  As far as I knew, he’d never had a raisin pie.  I’m not the most gifted pie person, and where in the world did he get the recipe.  Turned out that he does an email subscription with a few food sites and this one arrived in his inbox and intrigued him.  I was nervous about it because pastry is NOT my forte and I haven’t cooked much at all in the past couple of months.  AND on top of it all – I’d be serving this to his mother – the Pastry Queen.  This woman literally has blue ribbons from baked goods she’s entered into the VA State Fair over the years.  I knew that making my own pie crust was NOT ON, so I got the Pillsbury refrigerated ones.  And the recipe was actually very easy.  I served the pie with some Tillamook vanilla bean ice cream and everyone liked it (except for Jessica, which I predicted):

IMG_4054.jpg.d5aa7dda520a741de41fd4b0e71388ca.jpg

20230814_214451.jpg.5a5a5581757db8420a793c43c05046d5.jpg

• Like 9
  • Delicious 1

I made Stella Parks' Levain Bakery-style Chocolate Chip Cookie knock-off...

Levain-styleChocolateChipCookie.thumb.jpeg.5bc1418f759d8d94945464f698e8114e.jpeg

I only had dark brown sugar to hand, hence the somewhat dark appearance. I've never had the original, so I've no idea how close it is, but I was impressed. It's kind of cookie-crunchy on the outside, and light and cakey inside. It's also huge, weighing-in at 175g (6 oz)....

Levain-styleChocChipCookie.thumb.jpeg.d277d2eaec219e2eef5bd752eb49e217.jpeg

For chocolate chip cookie fans, the Basic, Great Chocolate Chip Cookie by Tara O'Brady is good...

ChocolateChipCookie(OBrady).thumb.jpeg.363cbd9dc2404e96cb6318a7883a7e14.jpeg

And if you have a bag of spelt flour looking for an excuse, then the Spelt Walnut CCC by Janice Lawandi is a good way to use it up...

SpeltWalnutChocolateChipCookie.thumb.jpeg.3efa5172c8814c67515a46b5fd558b14.jpeg

I've also recently enjoyed the Lemon Square Cookies by Anita Jaisinghani...

LemonSquareCookie.thumb.jpeg.0d90b07ebd49cb95cea22366e9faeeec.jpeg

These vegan cookies <shudders> use coconut oil, mashed avocado, and rice flour to surprisingly good effect and are flavoured with turmeric and ground mace, as well as the lemon.

Ranger cookies were a new one to me...

RangerCookie.thumb.jpeg.4c312123fd9f3160923c47b476b681b3.jpeg

I really liked these. (The oldest recipe seems to go back to the Depression era.)

And one last, honourable mention for the No-Bake Chocolate Peanut Butter Cookie by Scott Peacock...

No-bakeChocolatePeanutButterCookie.thumb.jpeg.0d2bb121964bccb08680ba5927c22da5.jpeg

I believe these are also known as preacher cookies: if the preacher turned up unexpectedly at your house, these unassuming treats could be on the table in minutes. Nice!

I came across them when my oven was out of action for a week or two, and I was pleasantly surprised how well they worked.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

9 minutes ago, heidih said:

…the lemon bars with turmeric . I may borrow that flavoring in a on-vegan version. 

I think the turmeric was there as much for the colour as anything else. It’s been a couple of months… I can’t remember. 🥴

@Pete Fred - thanks for posting those cookies.  I went straight to the link and am printing out the recipes for the Tara O'Brady chocolate chip ones.  Tney look amazing.  My current go-to is the Jacques Torres chocolate chip cookies.  They are "aged" and the Tara O'Brady ones sound a little simpler. 

Chocolate Cake by Suzy Palatin...

ChocolateCake.thumb.png.a3450234ab2ad67f0711c6b75870f115.png

Described by Pierre Hermé, no less, as the best chocolate cake in the world. Before you get too excited, it isn't. But it is good, and super simple to make. Weirdly, when he published the recipe (gâteau au chocolat Suzy) he tweaked the ingredients and method (chefs, huh? 🙄) but I stick with the original. I like it a touch warm for a lighter texture; at room temperature it's firmer and fudgier. (Fridge-cold totally ruins it, by the way.)

I had it for lunch with some whipped cream and cherries...

ChocolateCakeandCherries.thumb.png.22ca5a11279a016d905cdff31633612d.png

(I couldn't get the cream to whip properly, sadly, because a) French cream is rubbish, and b) it's a hundred degrees at the moment! Rookie error not having any crème fraîche in the house.)

• Like 4
  • Delicious 1

5 minutes ago, MaryIsobel said:

Not sure if "pleasant" is a recommendation though...

Funny you should say that. I thought it sounded like I was damning it with faint praise, so I actually looked up the definition before posting...

IMG_9482.jpg.9821bf41bc8ab6623af18e7d43fc0299.jpg

...and it seemed to fit. You're right, though; I wonder why "pleasant" seems to hint at disappointment? 🤷‍♂️

Anyway, it was a nice cake, but functional, I suppose, rather than something to get excited about. There I go again...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2