• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How do they do that? (the bonbon thread)

kevnick80

@Sweet Impact Mama, those are indeed beautiful--and quite close to the Monde du Chocolat technique.  Thanks for sharing the photos and especially the description of the technique you used.  I agree about the importance of choosing colors carefully.  I do a marbled effect with layers of colors painted with a brush (an idea from Andrey Dubovik) and have learned that sharp contrasts don't work well at all.  For instance, brushing layers of (translucent) red, then orange or yellow or even green is fine, but then airbrushing the entire mold with a light color intended to blend with the previous two colors doesn't work.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Jonathan said:

Try using a gloved finger to paint in some pastel colors (mixing in some white cocoa butter to your standard colours will do) and swirl your finger around. This isn’t the same colour scheme but you do get more of a swirled effect to it. It also looks to me like she may have used an airbrush to thin out some areas after application before backing it with white

07342EEB-D39A-4C19-A287-E792F7A051AF.jpeg

STUNNING!!

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
16 minutes ago, EvgenyP said:

how?

Not knowing the consistency and if its solid or hollow inside, it very well could be the technique where you aerate tempered chocolate, blown into a mold to set. The white/grey looks to me, sprayed on afterwards.

49 minutes ago, gfron1 said:

Not knowing the consistency and if its solid or hollow inside, it very well could be the technique where you aerate tempered chocolate, blown into a mold to set. The white/grey looks to me, sprayed on afterwards.

Same thought

• 1 month later...
On 8/8/2021 at 9:11 AM, EvgenyP said:

how?

image.png.5a2afba8015f2548cc31bc388f05ca87.png

I'm not sure how to send a link from Instagram, but I just saw a video of someone doing this the other day. The instagram is Montezuma788 and it is a video from Sept. 7th. They use a small spray bottle with alcohol and water (or just water), spray it into the mold cavity then lightly spray over the water droplets with cocoa butter. I'm not entirely sure how it doesn't cause blooming, but the final result looks the same. Hope that helps!

6 hours ago, CaitlynA said:

I'm not sure how to send a link from Instagram, but I just saw a video of someone doing this the other day. The instagram is Montezuma788 and it is a video from Sept. 7th. They use a small spray bottle with alcohol and water (or just water), spray it into the mold cavity then lightly spray over the water droplets with cocoa butter. I'm not entirely sure how it doesn't cause blooming, but the final result looks the same. Hope that helps!

It wouldn't bloom because cocoa butter is hydrophobic. There's no chocolate there yet, so no sugar bloom. The surface tension of the droplets cause that shape and after it sets and contracts, the miniscule amount of water evaporates. My theory, anyway.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/18/2021 at 3:53 AM, CaitlynA said:

Yes, it’s only water because my experiments with alcohol/ water mixtures failed but Vodka should work.

Alternative way: Freeze a mould for around 5 minutes. Put it upside down on a tray with hot water. Wait for water to condense and form drops. Spray carefully colored cocoa butter. It’s fun! 

0E55070B-4146-46DC-A38F-626DB838B0EA.jpeg

Edited by Montezum788
Forgot the picture. (log)
  • Like 2

• Similar Content

• By KTM
      Hello friends,

We recently got our selmi plus ex and have had a handful of successful runs. So far mostly with our enrobing line. 

Theres been 2 occasions now that I have noticed when tempering the machine is cooling past the target temp. When it does this it goes down into the 28c range and the screw pump has to shut off due to the temp and viscosity. 

I also noticed the manual is pretty light on operational procedures. 

The 2 things I can think of that might be causing this other then an equipment error is 
      the chocolate used is to thick or there is a build up of chocolate around the temperature probe near the faucet. 

Wondering if anyone else has had this issue before. 
    • By ShylahSinger
      Hello! I'm fairly new to this site so I don't know if my search was weak. I'm trying to find a way to make Mandarin orange puree at home, but I couldn't find anything even similar in the forum. I am a home cook, but I have been making chocolate bonbons and other confections for over 4 years (intermitantly). It is too expensive for me to purchase this online- not because of the price of the puree, but the cost of shipping makes it prohibative. The recipes I've seen online are all differant and don't seem to be what I need. 
      I would love any help with this! I look forward to hearing and learning from those who have much, much more experience than me. Thanks!
    • By Darienne
      A quite unusual take on the favorite American chocolate bar: click
    • By ShylahSinger
      Help! I am an amateur and make chocolate truffles, bonbons, and caramels for friends and family. I made some soft caramel for filling molded bonbons. The flavor and consistency are fine, but the caramel is filled with bubbles. I don't know how to get the air bubbles out, and am concerned using it in my molded chocolates. I would like to know if it is okay to use. I have been making confections for about four years and this is the first time this has happened. I would really appreciate any help! I'm new to the forum and don't know anyone yet.
    • By rookie
      I am making molded bunnies for Easter and I am finding that the
      necks are cracking and the head breaks away from the body. I have noticed that the neck is not as thick as the rest of the bunny. Total grams for this bunny is 200.
      Does anyone have any suggestions on how to rectify this? Oh yeah I didn't mention that after pouring into molds I place in the refridgerator.
      Any suggestions are welcome!
      Cheers
      Mary - Rookie