• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How do they do that? (the bonbon thread)

kevnick80

@Sweet Impact Mama, those are indeed beautiful--and quite close to the Monde du Chocolat technique.  Thanks for sharing the photos and especially the description of the technique you used.  I agree about the importance of choosing colors carefully.  I do a marbled effect with layers of colors painted with a brush (an idea from Andrey Dubovik) and have learned that sharp contrasts don't work well at all.  For instance, brushing layers of (translucent) red, then orange or yellow or even green is fine, but then airbrushing the entire mold with a light color intended to blend with the previous two colors doesn't work.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Jonathan said:

Try using a gloved finger to paint in some pastel colors (mixing in some white cocoa butter to your standard colours will do) and swirl your finger around. This isn’t the same colour scheme but you do get more of a swirled effect to it. It also looks to me like she may have used an airbrush to thin out some areas after application before backing it with white

07342EEB-D39A-4C19-A287-E792F7A051AF.jpeg

STUNNING!!

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
16 minutes ago, EvgenyP said:

how?

Not knowing the consistency and if its solid or hollow inside, it very well could be the technique where you aerate tempered chocolate, blown into a mold to set. The white/grey looks to me, sprayed on afterwards.

49 minutes ago, gfron1 said:

Not knowing the consistency and if its solid or hollow inside, it very well could be the technique where you aerate tempered chocolate, blown into a mold to set. The white/grey looks to me, sprayed on afterwards.

Same thought

• 1 month later...
On 8/8/2021 at 9:11 AM, EvgenyP said:

how?

image.png.5a2afba8015f2548cc31bc388f05ca87.png

I'm not sure how to send a link from Instagram, but I just saw a video of someone doing this the other day. The instagram is Montezuma788 and it is a video from Sept. 7th. They use a small spray bottle with alcohol and water (or just water), spray it into the mold cavity then lightly spray over the water droplets with cocoa butter. I'm not entirely sure how it doesn't cause blooming, but the final result looks the same. Hope that helps!

6 hours ago, CaitlynA said:

I'm not sure how to send a link from Instagram, but I just saw a video of someone doing this the other day. The instagram is Montezuma788 and it is a video from Sept. 7th. They use a small spray bottle with alcohol and water (or just water), spray it into the mold cavity then lightly spray over the water droplets with cocoa butter. I'm not entirely sure how it doesn't cause blooming, but the final result looks the same. Hope that helps!

It wouldn't bloom because cocoa butter is hydrophobic. There's no chocolate there yet, so no sugar bloom. The surface tension of the droplets cause that shape and after it sets and contracts, the miniscule amount of water evaporates. My theory, anyway.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/18/2021 at 3:53 AM, CaitlynA said:

Yes, it’s only water because my experiments with alcohol/ water mixtures failed but Vodka should work.

Alternative way: Freeze a mould for around 5 minutes. Put it upside down on a tray with hot water. Wait for water to condense and form drops. Spray carefully colored cocoa butter. It’s fun! 

0E55070B-4146-46DC-A38F-626DB838B0EA.jpeg

Edited by Montezum788
Forgot the picture. (log)
  • Like 3

• 2 months later...
7 hours ago, liderbug said:

Off topic - but ...

Netflix, School of Chocolate

Our @Chocolotis in it 

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)

Have I ever mentioned how rarely I read an e-mail to the end before responding. Apparently our @Chocolotwas watching episode 2 - not on episode 2. But we had been discussing our @Pastrypastmidnightwinning a baking show called Baking It.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, curls said:

If Kerry said it, it must be true. @Chocolot I'll be watching for your appearance. 

Look for someone 50 years younger and 100# lighter. I might have also changed my name:).

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
Artisan Chocolates and Toffees
www.chocolot.com

• 4 weeks later...

Hey all, 

Been seeing these beautiful, intricate designs by https://www.instagram.com/lamelie_chocolatier/ and cracking my head on how its being done. Was wondering if anyone knows the technique? 

My best guesses 

1. Custom transfer sheets applied to the bonbons after they are unmoulded with a little heat. However, it seems that the shine on these are more like gold cocoa butter, rather than metallic edible printer ink. The designs are also not flat, unlike most traditional use of transfer sheets. 

2. Laser cut stencils to get the details and sponge/paint the designs on - although that would seem like a lot of work 

3. Custom rubber stamps. Got this idea from the fact that the letters seem to applied individually, rather than together. 

Any other guesses? 🤯

Screenshot 2022-01-08 at 12.57.50 PM.png

Screenshot 2022-01-08 at 12.55.47 PM.png

• 2 months later...

You would probably use gold colored cocoa butter. As for the design, since its so clean its likely they have a stencil or a stamp that they use to brush or spray the cocoa butter through. If youre skilled enough this can also be etched in with the ball point tools that come with nail art kits.

Edited by MikanPotatos (log)
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, MikanPotatos said:

You would probably use gold colored cocoa butter. As for the design, since its so clean its likely they have a stencil or a stamp that they use to brush or spray the cocoa butter through. If youre skilled enough this can also be etched in with the ball point tools that come with nail art kits.

I think that the mold was directly stamped with golden cocoa butter and then it was colored with cocoa butter and an airbrush .