• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2016 (Part 10)

liuzhou

Dang, after mm84321.  Just astounding looking dishes!  I'm learning.

Here goes my rack of lamb, mashed potatoes, sauté mushers and leftover salad dinner.  I cooked the rack in the oven.  Turned out medium rare, the way we like it.

DSC01732.jpgDSC01734.jpgDSC01733.jpgDSC01737.jpgDSC01736.jpg

• Like 24

1 hour ago, Okanagancook said:

Dang, after mm84321.  Just astounding looking dishes!  I'm learning.

Here goes my rack of lamb, mashed potatoes, sauté mushers and leftover salad dinner.  I cooked the rack in the oven.  Turned out medium rare, the way we like it.

DSC01732.jpgDSC01734.jpgDSC01733.jpgDSC01737.jpgDSC01736.jpg

Perfect color on the lamb chops!

• Like 2

@Okanagancook

Love your presentation of the leftover salad. Makes it look very special. Probably will steal that idea. 

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Dinner was a mix of cultures.  While cleaning the pantry I found a couple bags of dried split favas.   This was used to make bessara.  My first time making this Moroccan dish.  Pressured cooked the favas then drained and open pot cooked them with chicken/turkey stock, carrots, celery, onions, bay leaf and garlic then puréed it with the immersion blender to a smooth pasty soup.  This was refrigerated until later this evening.   To finish the soup I sautéed lots of fine diced garlic and parsley then added this to the soup along with some water to thin it out a bit before serving

This was followed by oxtail tacos on corn tortillas 

I'm getting some mileage from those SV oxtails 

• Like 4

@Okanagancook  

I think you have done perfect justice to the Rack.

TJ's for a forever amount of time has had Fz  Rack of Lamb from Canada , eh ?

its delicious and has seasoning along the meat.   its the only case Ice ever seen and eaten where those were the right seaqsonings

you did have to scrape them off , deal with a bit of the fat , sear those seasoning back on and then Cook.

I used to do the whole rack in a hot oven for 20 minutes then rest  

two double chops / 2 people  you inhaled them off the bone

or 4 double chops on a very hot grill.

I might go back and do this again.

thanks for the reminder. !

money-mouth.gif

• Like 3

Chefmed, that duck looks awesome.....a reminder that I have two in the freezer.

the rack was trimmed of fat and any significant meat was meat glued back on top.  Baked 425 for 20 min then monitored until 126 f internal temp.  Taken off, blow porched, rested five min.  Grass fed, organic, young lamb.  Quality of the meat Is Everything! Start with shit, end with shit.  Just say'n;)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, HungryChris said:

BJ's duck, marinated overnight in Korean BBQ sauce, cooked on the Weber rotisserie.

HC

IMG_0319.JPG

HungryChris: Korean BBQ sauce...home-made? Is it a common recipe? Commercial? Looks terrific!

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Supper tonight was one that withstood all the interruptions from Halloween tricksters. It had been raining pretty much all day and did not let up during the witching hour. Had 56 kids but that's a lot of up and downs off the dining table.

Low-carb Chicken a la King over tofu shirataki fettuccine and green beans. I had marinate the chicken breast cubes in Olive Oil Tuscan Italian salad dressing by Kraft before browinng. Added a little bit of tang. A sprinkle of crushed chili pepper flakes added a bit of heat

Chicken a la King0001.jpg

Edited by Dejah (log)
  • Like 11

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

8 hours ago, Dejah said:

HungryChris: Korean BBQ sauce...home-made? Is it a common recipe? Commercial? Looks terrific!

10 hours ago, Okanagancook said:

Hungry Chris.

that looks excellent

I have the same bbq

May I ask your method?

i have done a couple with the infrared back burner on only and cooked the duck for three hours.  Helps to render the fat

1/2 cup of soy sauce

1/4 cup dry sherry

3 heaping TBS gochujang

1 TBS rice wine vinegar

1 thumb sized piece of peeled ginger, grated

4 large cloves of peeled garlic, grated

2 TBS brown sugar

I zip this up with an immersion blender then add 4 chopped green onions

This is the same as I use for Korean BBQ chicken, but chicken skin will tear easily if marinated for more than 3 hours. Duck skin is much tougher, so I marinated it in a plastic bag overnight. I have a 3 burner Weber, which I adjusted to 375 with the duck over the center burner, which was turned off. I cooked  the trussed duck for 21/2 hours for a crispy skin. I used a large sizzle platter to collect the drippings. The next time I will use a shallow pan half filled with water. Baste every half hour with the duck marinade, up until the half hour before it is ready, because you want that raw duck marinade sanitized completely by the heat of the grill.

Happy Cooking

HC

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, HungryChris said:

1/2 cup of soy sauce

1/4 cup dry sherry

3 heaping TBS gochujang

1 TBS rice wine vinegar

2 TBS brown sugar

This is the same as I use for Korean BBQ chicken, but chicken skin will tear easily if marinated for more than 3 hours. Duck skin is much tougher, so I marinated it in a plastic bag overnight. I have a 3 burner Weber, which I adjusted to 375 with the duck over the center burner, which was turned off. I cooked  the trussed duck for 21/2 hours for a crispy skin. I used a large sizzle platter to collect the drippings. The next time I will use a shallow pan half filled with water. Baste every half hour with the duck marinade, up until the half hour before it is ready, because you want that raw duck marinade sanitized completely by the heat of the grill.

Happy Cooking

HC

Thank you!

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

5 hours ago, HungryChris said:

1/2 cup of soy sauce

1/4 cup dry sherry

3 heaping TBS gochujang

1 TBS rice wine vinegar

2 TBS brown sugar

Happy Cooking

HC

Another thank you from me.  I will be trying this for sure.  Love cooking duck on the BBQ.....avoids a mess in the oven!

i recently did a duck on a stand in my big green egg but I did not have the temp up where you had yours so the skin was not as crisp.  375 degrees it is!

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

Another thank you from me.  I will be trying this for sure.  Love cooking duck on the BBQ.....avoids a mess in the oven!

i recently did a duck on a stand in my big green egg but I did not have the temp up where you had yours so the skin was not as crisp.  375 degrees it is!

Hair-Dryer Duck

I have a recipe which was modified from Marcella Hazan's 1978 More Classic Italian Cooking which is simplicity itself in terms of ingredients, using only fresh herbs, salt and pepper to accent the duck's natural flavors. But it's way out there in terms of technique, achieving a remarkable, grease-free and glassy-crisp skin by a thoroughly non-traditional procedure: First the duck is simmered in boiling water for a few minutes, then prepped for roasting by blasting it all over with a standard home hair dryer.

Marcella's name for the dish is the simple, descriptive Italian "Anatra Arrosto" ("roast duck"), but for years I've lovingly called  it "hair-dryer duck."

I'm not going to post the entire recipe here, just the important details re crisping the skin and some other techniques.  If anyone wants the entire recipe, send me a PM.

Procedure:

Fill a pot large enough to hold the duck with enough water to cover the duck, and bring the water to the boil. Gently place the duck in the water, let it return to the boil, then reduce heat and simmer it gently for about 10 minutes. Lift it out to a large plate, taking care to avoid scalds.

Preheat your oven to 450F (230C). While it's pre-heating, turn a high-powered, hand-held hair dryer to hot/high, and blow hot air all over the duck from an inch or two away, moving it around to cover all surfaces. You'll see a significant amount of fat come streaming out ... feel free to pat some of it away. Hazan says, "This is to keep the pores wide open, and ease the outflow of fat while roasting." Maybe so. I can only testify that it works.

Put the bird breast-up on a rack in a large roasting pan, and put it in the preheated oven. Let it roast at this high temperature for 30 minutes, trying to ignore the spattering noises and smoke that will emerge from your oven. (If your smoke detectors are sensitive, you may want to take them down before making this dish.)

After about 30 minutes, reduce heat to 375F (190C). This would be a good time to open the oven door and turn the pan around to ensure that the duck roasts evenly. Cook for another hour.

As noted above, I've omitted details about seasoning, how to handle the liver and other parts, and just focused here on getting the skin crisp and cooking the bird.  More details are available just for the asking.  Of course, those peripheral details can use your own seasonings, etc.

• Like 3

... Shel

Oh my @ninagluck.  That does look and sound amazing. I can see I have a real failure of imagination at least in terms of how to prepare and present food. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

9 hours ago, HungryChris said:

1/2 cup of soy sauce

1/4 cup dry sherry

3 heaping TBS gochujang

1 TBS rice wine vinegar

1 TBS sesame oil

2 TBS brown sugar

Happy Cooking

HC

I forgot the 1 TBS sesame oil

HC

• Like 2