• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fanfare: Announcing a New Foodblog!

Smithy

It's not me, although I'm still up for doing a blog. My issue is I eat in a very boring manner sometimes when hubby is away during the week (lots of similar looking salad due to 5 and 2 as well). Maybe at Christmas when he will be home and we generally end up going off on a trip just after Christmas and stuffing ourselves wherever we go? :D 

• Like 7

I'm pretty much in awe of anyone who does one of these foodblogs.  They are so fun to follow but must be an absolute ton of work.  I can barely manage posting my breakfast and a random popsicle!  I remember when I first joined eG, I was traveling a lot for work - usually a few days in Seattle, a stop in San Francisco and then back here in SoCal every other week.  I thought it might be fun to blog about.  Then I started to think about how I would actually do it - ha!  No internet posting allowed from work sites was the least of it - when would I actually have time to work!  

28 minutes ago, Tere said:

My issue is I eat in a very boring manner sometimes when hubby is away during the week (lots of similar looking salad due to 5 and 2 as well).

Yes, there's a big boring factor with me as well xD.  Living alone, I very often cook a dish and end up eating the same thing for several meals.  I don't mind but it wouldn't make for particularly interesting blogging!

Not sure who our next intrepid blogger will be, but many thanks from me in advance!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Tere said:

It's not me, although I'm still up for doing a blog. My issue is I eat in a very boring manner sometimes when hubby is away during the week (lots of similar looking salad due to 5 and 2 as well). Maybe at Christmas when he will be home and we generally end up going off on a trip just after Christmas and stuffing ourselves wherever we go? :D 

YES please.........Moderator take note

• Like 5

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

23 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

Could the blogger be @ElsieD?  I think she asked for recommendations for a trip to Newfoundland last year and mentioned a bringing bakeapple home from a previous trip.

(what can I say....I'm a looker-upper)

Well, that was an excellent guess, aided by a good memory!  Yes, it's ElsieD and yes, she's going to Newfoundland.

No need to keep the guessing game going at this point, but I'll dole out the teaser photos to keep y'all interested for the next few days. Here is the next image I'd planned to use (when I got back to the computer), thinking it might help people decide between Scandanavia (since it wasn't Iceland) and Newfoundland.  

57b3a48fea02c_2015-08-1015.50.19.thumb.jpg.2a3e94f9a1233bf13139ce34bdfa2754.jpg

I think she sent me 4 more photos.  Stay tuned.

• Like 14

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

will be waiting with baited(sp) breath as one of our road trips will be to the Maritimes...any tips will be appreciated

thought that Atlantic salmon and some other fish were embargoed.............

• Like 3

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Oh joy!  A Newfie blog - how exciting!

I know their cuisine can be quite unique and I hear they are some of the nicest people in the country (and that says a lot for us as we are a nation known for our friendliness!).

Looking forward to this one.

• Like 3

Nice!  Roll on the 25th. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Well, now, this should be a lot of fun.  

There is something about Newfoundland that tugs at the heart and stays with you long after you have left.  I fell in love with it 36 or 37 years ago when I went out there on a business trip and spent the weekend with a friend and his family in an outport, Winterbrook by name.   His mother cooked Newfoundland fare for my girlfriend  and I which included fish and brewis ( salt cod and hard tack), topped with scrunchions for breakfast.  The smell of that, wafting upstairs,  was not something I was used to.  The weekend also included canned trout, caught on the island and bakeapples for dessert.  I can't remember what else we had other than the fact there was always tea on the stove. Very, very, strong tea.

It is indescribably beautiful, and ranges from mountainous terrain in the west to a barren, flat terrain in the north west, to picturesque coves in the east.  There are many outports,  some with just a handful of people living in them.  The people are extremely friendly, helpful and just all round nice.

I am looking forward to telling you all about it. 

Elsie

• Like 15

Had to look up scrunchions. You mean, as we say down here, cracklings!

They are the best thing in the world cooked into cornbread, which is then served with sorghum molasses and butter.

Edited by kayb
fix typo again! (log)
  • Like 5

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Jiggs dinner with pease pudding and blueberry duff and roast chicken with Newfie dressing... a ridiculously large meal but it's pretty tasty (although the dressing I've experienced contained too much Savoury for my taste). The older daughter's husband's parents are from Newfoundland, that's where I got my introduction to some of the cuisine. Looking forward to seeing what you get into there.

• Like 2

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

3 hours ago, huiray said:
19 hours ago, rotuts said:

Im so looking forward to this !

Soooo  how is the Fishing there and the Salmon ?

There are different rules for fishing salmon versus cod.  One can fish for cod for 46 days this year, up from 32 last year.  The limit is 5 cod per day.  There is also a boat limit where three or more people cannot in total catch more than 15.  I don't know what the rules are for freshwater fish.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, suzilightning said:

will be waiting with baited(sp) breath as one of our road trips will be to the Maritimes...any tips will be appreciated

thought that Atlantic salmon and some other fish were embargoed.............

Different provinces have different rules around fishing.  Where are you going?