• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Manitoulin Unravelled

Anna N

1 hour ago, Okanagancook said:

Brilliant Kerry!  Maybe a soufflé dish would have high enough sides to prevent boil over.

I wonder if one of those flan pans with the lid that seals.

4 hours ago, Anna N said:

Kerry has gone off to pick little green apples. I smell an adventure on the wind. 

Too many little green apples and adventure may not be all that's on the wind. :P I remember as a kid sneaking young green apples off of a neighbor's trees while visiting my grandparents. They could do some damage to the guts when I was too greedy with them.

• Like 2

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

8 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Naught more serious than a sprained ankle that insisted on being seen by me personally before she went home - perhaps thought that she might get better drugs!  

...Or baked goods.

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

On ‎7‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 5:47 PM, rotuts said:

yes.  steam-bake, then steam broil is the way to go with fish.

Rotuts,  I'm so happy to read this as I'll be doing up a piece of steelhead for dinner tonight (my first in the new CSO)!

Good morning. No breakfast photographs since I ate a lamb chop out of hand:o

We were digging around in our ingredients and found this unopened jar.

image.jpeg

We would welcome suggestions as to how to make use of it. We can't promise to use all or even any of your suggestions but we will try. 

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I am intrigued by the Roti John. But I don't know that I'm intrigued enough to try it, as it looks damned complicated. What was the verdict on the taste?

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

8 minutes ago, kayb said:

I am intrigued by the Roti John. But I don't know that I'm intrigued enough to try it, as it looks damned complicated. What was the verdict on the taste?

Tasted pretty damn good with the Miracle Whip and siracha - Anna's wasn't as good because she used Mayo and couldn't find the siracha!

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

IMG_2754.jpg

IMG_2755.jpg

IMG_2756.jpg

Not ready yet!

Pectin makin'!!!!!!

• Like 5

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

2 hours ago, Anna N said:

image.jpeg

We would welcome suggestions as to how to make use of it. We can't promise to use all or even any of your suggestions but we will try. 

Serious Eats says it goes well with chocolate - maybe a type of mole [sauce] or use in some chocolate-making? SE also has a recipe for a vinaigrette over avocado and red grapefruit. Or Peruvian Anticuchos de carne or de pollo - either beef or chicken, marinated and cooked on skewers?  Though these may be the most obvious uses! Sorry I can't be more original, but I'd love to see you try the paste for something! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Anna N said:

Good morning. No breakfast photographs since I ate a lamb chop out of hand:o

image.jpeg

Not spicy red peppers make me think sweet paprika - so maybe something like Hungarian goulash or paprikash.

• Like 1

Hit the Flee Market again this am - found but didn't buy this DIY sauerkraut kit. I love the granite boulder as a piece of the kit. There is a lid as well.

IMG_2761.jpg

Then headed off to Sunsite Estates down island a ways to get some eggs from nurse Leslie.  Stopped to get some pictures of the bay at Manitowaning at the end of her road.

IMG_2762.jpg

IMG_2764.jpg

IMG_2763.jpg

• Like 13

IMG_2766.jpg

We heard a rumour that Loco Beans - the local coffee shop was making panini and they were rather good. They apparently make one like Christmas dinner with stuffing, cranberry salsa, slices of turkey and cheese to hold together.

• Like 10

5 hours ago, KennethT said:

That prawn and tomato curry looks great... can you include an Rx or list of materials?

Happy to give you my version.

Chop up a nice big onion and saute in some neutral oil in the Instant Pot until it has good colour. Meanwhile throw four chopped garlic cloves and a good thumb-size piece of peeled, chopped ginger into a food processor or blender and make a paste (you might need to add a little water).  Gather the following together: one teaspoon each of brown sugar, kosher salt, black mustard seed, ground cumin and turmeric. When the onion is well coloured add in the ginger-garlic paste and cook a minute or so.  Add in the spices and cook another minute (be careful not to burn them). Now add a 400 g can of chopped tomatoes with their juice and two teaspoons of malt vinegar.  Put the lid on the instant pot and bring to high-pressure.  Cook for four minutes. Let the pressure come down naturally. Give the sauce a good stir and add a tablespoon of garamasala and cook for a minute or two.  Taste and adjust seasoning. Switch on the saute function of the instant pot  and add about a pound of peeled shrimp.   Cook just until they turn opaque.  Add some heavy cream if you wish.

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 5

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg

i had the creamy chicken and bacon panini. Of all the things I have eaten on the Island outside of the townhouse this was more than acceptable (mind you, I was damned hangry!).

• Like 8

My 2004 eG Blog