• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Manitoulin Unravelled

Anna N

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

Yep it is a big job and I have advisors near and far who think I should've done every step differently except for actually volunterring to cook the damn goose.xDxDxD

Funny how that happens, isn't it?

• Like 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Thanks

@Anna N

here is my view :

some time ago, indeed on eG

I simmered on the top of the stove some Turkey carcass etc

I peel off the meat and gave them, cooled to my cat.

a bit of Huff and Puff.

there is mnore to this  

but Ill move on :  the soup Fx on the IP,   for me , leaves  meat on the bone that has good taste

i like  gravy  that is '' particulate ""   i.e.  ' giblet like '

so that's what ive been using  

in your case,  maybe what's you've done makes more sense  

crush up what you've had     to get the most Jus pout of it

and foret the '' giblet 'like" gravy

good to think about  

Edited by rotuts (log)

25 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Might turn out to be the only part of this goose worth eating!  Just pulled the breasts off and did some nibbling. Damn. Can't send out for pizza. Noticed as It stared at me from the freezer all week  that at the very bottom of its wrapping were the words "Imported from Hungary".  Nothing against Hungary but why in the name of all that's good do we need to import geese from there? I suspect this one made it there (and perhaps back) under its own power!  

Well, shoot.  I guess it's a little tough, eh?

I wonder if you SV'd them for a while if they would tender up?  Or, you could IP them and make goose and noodles......

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Shelby said:

make goose and noodles......

I was already pondering the goose carcass remaining after their meal and, being a fan of the duck noodle soup I used to get at a Thai restaurant, was wondering what goose noodle soup would be like.

Edit: I initially mentioned we were thinking alike and then realized you were referring to the meal itself while I was thinking about the leftovers.

Edited by Tri2Cook (log)
  • Like 2

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

3 minutes ago, Tri2Cook said:

I was already pondering the goose carcass remaining after their meal and, being a fan of the duck noodle soup I used to get at a Thai restaurant, was wondering what goose noodle soup would be like.

I make goose and noodles at least once a winter.  It's really good.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Tri2Cook said:

Edit: I initially mentioned we were thinking alike and then realized you were referring to the meal itself while I was thinking about the leftovers.

Well, we were thinking alike :)  I was meaning for the breasts and/or leftovers.

9 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Well, it sure looks good.  You could have just not said anything and we'd have never known.  

The gravy, the cabbage and the taters look incredible.  I now need gravy.

The potatoes were awesome. The goose inedible. I reckon it was frozen during the Hungarian Revolution. Just to point out that if you came here for cooking lessons you are on the WRONG thread. 

• Like 10

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

32 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

IMG_2715.jpg

Given our trials and tribulations today - it's a good thing there is booze. Eeyores's Requiem.

Ahh, the ol' salt in the wound. :D 

I may have to go get an orange tomorrow...

• Like 1

@Tri2Cook

honestly no salt intended. This was about the only thing that saved dinner (well that and the potatoes).   But I'm waiting with bated breath for the cheesecake. 

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 2

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

7 minutes ago, Anna N said:

@Tri2Cook

honestly no salt intended. This was about the only thing that saved dinner (well that and the potatoes).   But I'm waiting with bated breath for the cheesecake. 

I didn't actually think that at all, just being an ass because I forgot my orange when I went to the store yesterday. :D

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Anna N said:

A little goose liver on toast with some pickled pears and an unseen glass of Shiraz.

It's always the ones that you don't see that get you xD!

Might this be another one?

eyoreshiraz.jpg

And thanks for the reminder to try an Eeyores's Requiem.  I braved the heat to go outside and pick an orange off my tree ( <- that's some salt for @Tri2Cook.)

I didn't know quite what to think after the first sip but by the second, I'm a big fan!

Big kudos for taking on that goose in the middle of the summer - you deserve all the drinks!

• Like 4

So Curl's posting over on the Sweets thread got us thinking that we needed to make an IP Cheesecake for our Christmas dinner. We had cherries in the freezer we were given the other day (weren't sure if they were sour or pitted though). We had picked up a rather leaky 7 inch spring form pan for $2 yesterday in a thrift store (then saw a new non leaking one at Homesense), and during my various travels about today I picked up a couple of 250 gram packages of cream cheese and some graham wafers. 

We decided to line the springform with parchment due to it's leaky nature, I made a graham crust with just butter, no additional sugar. I mixed the cream cheese, sour cream, lemon juice, sugar and lemon oil in place of zest, along with a bit of vanilla in the Thermomix. I decided to add a couple of heaping teaspoons of cornstarch because all my good cheesecake recipes seem to have a bit. Then very gently mixed in the eggs to prevent cracks.

After I had covered it with foil and set in the IP - and was cleaning up the counter - I noticed one of the blocks of cream cheese still sitting there! DUH!  Too late to do anything about it once it was in the crust - I decided to cook it for the high end of time 25 minutes - at that point it was still pretty liquid in the centre - figured since we'd probably have to bin it anyway - there would be no harm in giving it another 15 minutes. 

It seemed to have set - so I popped it in the fridge and went about dealing with the cherries with some sugar, cornstarch and kirsch.  

IMG_2718.jpg

IMG_2719.jpg

IMG_2721.jpg

It's really, really good! Not as dense as the usual cheesecake, nice and creamy - very satisfactory for a screw up!  And the cherries turned out to be sour and pitted - so life is good - a nice recovery from the unsatisfactory goose. 

• Like 19

1 hour ago, Kerry Beal said:

goose itself needs to fly back to Hungary from whence it came!

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

I reckon it was frozen during the Hungarian Revolution.

11 minutes ago, rotuts said:

re: le Goose :

taste issues  or texture issues ?

I think, based on the above, troubleshooting is probably not called for on this one. I think they just got a dud goose. And I'm only mildly disappointed that neither Kerry or Anna started their dinner post with "our goose is cooked".

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, rotuts said:

re: le Goose :

taste issues  or texture issues ?

how was the Stock / gravy ?

Thumbs down all around.  Tastes like meat that has been in the freezer for too long, tougher than shoe leather and the stock/gravy was boring.  Epic fail except for the cocktail, the cheesecake and the potatoes.  Tonight's potatoes taught me what "creamer" means in relation to these innocuous vegetables.

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog

@Kerry Beal  

for me traditional CK is a bit too heavy, even Fresh at Juniors in Brooklyn

so  what Rx did you use ?

after the error of the left out brick   

how would that Rx lool like ?

TJ's

in the past had some nice tart jarred cherries  ...

maybe now that Iminterested   No More!

12 minutes ago, Tri2Cook said:

I think, based on the above, troubleshooting is probably not called for on this one. I think they just got a dud goose. And I'm only mildly disappointed that neither Kerry or Anna started their dinner post with "our goose is cooked".

We were making "cooked goose" jokes all day - we really did miss the opportunity!

• Like 3

Instant Pot Cheesecake

Ingredients

• 250 grams cream cheese
  • 100 grams sugar
  • 2 heaping teaspoon cornstarch
  • 70 grams sour cream
  • 1 tbsp lemon juice
  • 15 drops lemon oil
  • ½ tsp vanilla
  • Crust
  • 200 - 250 gram graham cracker crumbs, or other cookie crumbs
  • tbsp butter, melted

Method

1.make crust and press into 7” springform

2.cream cheese etc in TMX, add eggs at end and just mix in - pour into crust and cover with foil - on trivet in IP - about 1 cup water in pot

High pressure for 45 minutes. 

Source

me bastardizing the Meyer Lemon cheesecake from Pressure cooking today

Servings/Yield

--

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, rotuts said:

thank you for the Ck Rz

however you discovered using less CR make for a lighter Ck ?

one 8oz or so less ?

Yup - original recipe called for two 8 ounce packages - I used one 

• Like 2