• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Manitoulin Unravelled

Anna N

image.jpeg

it is a quiet afternoon here on the waterfront so I have been reading Mastering Sauces by one of Nathan's Modernist Cuisine team  and snacking on pickled mushrooms and pickled blueberries. The mushrooms I would make again but the blueberries get lost in the vinegar and the onions. There's no balance.   Too bad because it was an intriguing idea.

• Like 8

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpeg

I chose to to have my leftovers as a diner special -- hot chicken sandwich. 

• Like 16

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, Anna N said:

image.jpeg

I chose to to have my leftovers as a diner special -- hot chicken sandwich. 

That looks so good, especially the gravy. Could you share details please ?

@sartoric

Darn. Was hoping everybody would take it at face value and not force me to admit that the gravy came out of a can (as it does in the finest diners) -- St. Hubert's Hot Chicken Sandwich.  Other than that -- leftover chicken, squishy white bread, frozen peas. 

Click

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 7

My 2004 eG Blog

2 minutes ago, Anna N said:

@sartoric

Darn. Was hoping everybody would take it at face value and not force me to admit that the gravy came out of a can (as it does in the finest diners) -- St. Hubert's Hot Chicken Sandwich.  Other than that -- leftover chicken, squishy white bread, frozen peas. 

a classic! right down to the peas.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

a classic! right down to the peas.

And that can has been burning a hole in the cupboard since July 3 where you can spot it in one of our very early shopping photos. Just needed a damn chicken. 

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

28 minutes ago, Anna N said:

@sartoric

Click

Double darn, we can't buy that stuff here. I've never seen gravy in a can, only powder to mix your own.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Anna N said:

@sartoric

Click

St Hubert is not a bad way to go Anna N 

• Like 1

Damn    

guess St.H is not available S.of the Boarder.

always on the lookout for gravy I can doctor up.

esp beef as the Minors concentrate paste in beef doesn't get the job done.  chicken and turkey, OK

6 minutes ago, rotuts said:

Damn    

guess St.H is not available S.of the Boarder.

always on the lookout for gravy I can doctor up.

esp beef as the Minors concentrate paste in beef doesn't get the job done.  chicken and turkey, OK

Honestly  I don't think anyone is missing anything very much. This stuff is an acquired taste and does not even come close to homemade chicken gravy. I completely avoided reading the ingredients. I have had better success with McCormick's international sauce mixtures when doctored up with a little brandy and a little heavy cream. However, a hot chicken sandwich is a hot chicken sandwich and gourmet it ain't.

• Like 7

My 2004 eG Blog

14 minutes ago, gfweb said:

I use Better than Bullion chicken base and water and a little garlic, thickened with Wondra and a few drops of Gravy Master for color.  And fond if there is any

I did think about doing something similar ...  for at least a nanosecond .....before my lazy chromosome kicked in and reminded me of the can in the cupboard and the diners of my misspent youth. 

• Like 5

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

I did think about doing something similar ...  for at least a nanosecond .....before my lazy chromosome kicked in and reminded me of the can in the cupboard and the diners of my misspent youth. 

It probably is an acquired taste. The packaged Suisse Chalet dipping sauce is good. I think it's the West Coast equivalent of St. Hubert. 

• Like 1

very interesting.  google returned this from Amazon :

https://www.amazon.com/Swiss-Chalet-Dipping-Sauce/dp/B00283PL24

note the 

https://www.amazon.com/St-Hubert-Poutine-Gravy-Mix/dp/B008MOC11M/ref=pd_bxgy_325_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=BYJ9AC363XCM77VMKBQK

and oddly if you google

Swiss Chalet Dipping Sauce

you get lots of cloned Rx's  must be at least something going on here

and  I do not mean to side-track this fine thread.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 3

24 minutes ago, demiglace said:

It probably is an acquired taste. The packaged Suisse Chalet dipping sauce is good. I think it's the West Coast equivalent of St. Hubert. 

Don't think so. Very different flavour profiles. We get both here. 

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpeg

Might be lunch. Might be dinner. Bacon butty on squidgy white bread because I wanted to experiment with cooking bacon in the CSO.

• Like 9

My 2004 eG Blog

17 minutes ago, rotuts said:

how did the bacon do in the CSO [ sic ] ?

Ive always felt that the two oven-baked-bacon's   ( cold start   hot start ) are exceptionally good.

Well I made a parchment folder, placed the bacon inside and steam baked it at 350 X 20 mins, switching back to front midway. Still wasn't done to my liking so gave it another 5 at 400F.  Bacon stayed pretty flat, did not shrink much but 25 minutes tried my patience. Next trial: line pan with foil even if using parchment and up temp to 400F. Check after 15 minutes. 

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog