• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Manitoulin Unravelled

Anna N

nest time it goes on Sale

deeply discounted Sale

Ill take another taste of M.W.

does it repel Mosquitos ?

if I have  "" extra "" from the Jug if it does not suit me ?

you know

paint the posts of my various doors

various windows

most of my OutSide  Spaces ?

do Deer Ticks  ( w Lyme D. ) enjoy it ?  would they die in a slurry I left around the Grounds ?

if so

there might be a place for M.W.  [ed.: not to be confused with M.R.}

after all

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 3

IMG_2691.jpg

Over on the Create my Meal challenge - Anna produced this fabulous seafood chowder with cheese biscuits. Downside of our lovely corelle bowls is the inability to get them to our mouths at the end of the meal to suck the last bits of soup out of them.

• Like 16

28 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

IMG_2691.jpg

Over on the Create my Meal challenge - Anna produced this fabulous seafood chowder with cheese biscuits. Downside of our lovely corelle bowls is the inability to get them to our mouths at the end of the meal to suck the last bits of soup out of them.

Face plant ?

31 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

IMG_2691.jpg

That is one good looking soup!

• Like 1

@sartoric

Even WE draw the line somewhere. Just not sure which side of a face plant that would be.xDxD

• Like 7

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Thank you @demiglace

Not at all sure it was what Kerry was expecting  but she seemed to enjoy it.  We had had a brief discussion before she went off to tend to patients and seafood chowder with cheese biscuits seemed the likely pathway. I was so tempted to take it off in a much more easterly direction, way, way east of the Atlantic coastline,  but the cheese biscuits drew me back.   I did enhance the broth a bit with the shrimp shells and the sliced up corncob.  

It does occur to me that making a list at least of perishables before deciding what's for dinner is a great crutch that I should adopt.  Somehow seeing everything written down opens up some room for inspiration.

• Like 8

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Once more you've got me going over to Amazon to check the CSO.  And all the time I'm at Amazon my inner voice is asking "And just where will you put it?"  I could put it where the microwave is but then where would I put the microwave.My Amana microwave is only 700 watts and well over 20 years old but I haven't even replaced that because every time I look at new microwaves I realize that they do any number of things I don't want to do and the controls are so complicated that if I hit the wrong buttons I will probably blow up the house or launch WW III.  I hate my kitchen. I don't even have room for a spiralizer, and I want one of them too.>:(

• Like 6

"A fool", he said, "would have swallowed it". Samuel Johnson

26 minutes ago, Arey said:

Once more you've got me going over to Amazon to check the CSO.  And all the time I'm at Amazon my inner voice is asking "And just where will you put it?"  I could put it where the microwave is but then where would I put the microwave.My Amana microwave is only 700 watts and well over 20 years old but I haven't even replaced that because every time I look at new microwaves I realize that they do any number of things I don't want to do and the controls are so complicated that if I hit the wrong buttons I will probably blow up the house or launch WW III.  I hate my kitchen. I don't even have room for a spiralizer, and I want one of them too.>:(

I feel your pain. Having the little CSO up here in the summer only makes it harder when I get down south again.  Oh and by the way there are at least three possibly more spiralizers up here!  I brought mine not realizing I did not need to!   Not one of them has yet been used this trip.   Don't hate your kitchen. There is always a way.   Might mean some big compromises.  Even I will admit that if I wanted it enough I'd find a way. 

• Like 6

My 2004 eG Blog

IMG_2713.jpg

The Artist's Snap - red currants are in there! We are enjoying this while we recover from our Sudbury day.  Need a few minutes before I post more.

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Like 7

3 hours ago, kayb said:

Set the CSO on top of the microwave. That's where mine is.

Hmmm. Have about 6" between MW and upper cabinets. 

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

Anna is working on a semi respectable dinner for herself - I'm eating chips and dip!

Lunch today at Rose Apple.

IMG_2692.jpg

Spring Rolls

IMG_2695.jpg

Pad se ew for Anna

IMG_2696.jpg

Ramen noodles stir fried with carrot, cabbage an shrimp for me.

IMG_2697.jpg

We visited Re'tail' - the picture doesn't do justice to the sheer size of this kitty - basket is deformed from his corpulence - he reminded me of a mother hen and I kept expecting chicks to poke out from under him.

• Like 11

25 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Me too.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

52 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

The Artist's Snap - red currants are in there! We are enjoying this while we recover from our Sudbury day.  Need a few minutes before I post more.

I thought I was going to join in on the evening cocktail tonight with an Eeyore's Requiem. Got home from grocery shopping, put everything away and realized I forgot to grab an orange. I didn't want it bad enough to go back.

• Like 3

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Good morning and Merry Christmas to those who subscribe!  

It was a long day in Sudbury yesterday and by the time I finished a bite to eat I was too tired to post anything.   But I had a yen for some black forest ham on toast with nothing more then Dijon mustard. Sometimes simple is still the best:

image.jpeg

Hope to be engaged with you today but at the moment I am the only one awake in the house.

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 11

My 2004 eG Blog

15 hours ago, kayb said:

Set the CSO on top of the microwave. That's where mine is.

But where will I put all the stuff already on top of the microwave.  Now if I could get rid of Bryn's litter box.Is a 14 year old cat too old to learn to use the toilet?

• Like 1

"A fool", he said, "would have swallowed it". Samuel Johnson

12 hours ago, Tri2Cook said:
13 hours ago, Anna N said:

Oops. Maybe they make a real flat CSO???

Me too.

Double oops.

1 hour ago, Arey said:

But where will I put all the stuff already on top of the microwave.  Now if I could get rid of Bryn's litter box.Is a 14 year old cat too old to learn to use the toilet?

On top of the refrigerator. At least that's where mine moved. Not so sure about a litter box, though.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

I am taking much of my inspiration from

here.

image.jpeg

The goose trimmed up, rubbed with a lemon and well salted..  Going to let him/her wrist up for a while at room temperature. I had been very concerned that the goose might have forward more quickly than I expected but that has not happened. Cavity still contained  lots of ice crystals.

image.jpeg

Bits and pieces of goose and some vegetables ready for roasting. 

image.jpeg

Solids scooped up and put into the Instant Pot, pan rinsed out to garner all the tasty bits.   A couple of cups of water added and will cook on high pressure for 30 minutes or so.

image.jpeg

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, a treat Awaited the cook.  A little goose liver on toast with some pickled pears and an unseen glass of Shiraz.  

• Like 17

My 2004 eG Blog

@Anna N  

very interested in this.

why did you choose IP-HP for thirty rather than 'soup' ?  which I use for stock.

do you feel that HP gets more flavor into the supernate than 'soup'   Im assuming

you will be pressing the Jus out of the solids.

36 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@Anna N  

very interested in this.

why did you choose IP-HP for thirty rather than 'soup' ?  which I use for stock.

do you feel that HP gets more flavor into the supernate than 'soup'   Im assuming

you will be pressing the Jus out of the solids.

I did in fact push the soup button but I didn't think that in the whole scheme of things today it was highly critical to the final result.  Without some comparison experiments I would not wish to comment on which method works the best.  Sometimes when I'm faced with the task the challenges all my skills I tend not to sweat the small stuff.   Other times I think it's fun to do so.   Thomas Keller would not hire me to take out the garbage from his kitchen or even write on his blue painters's tape I am quite sure!:biggrin:

• Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog

43 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:That looks like a good recipe because the breasts will not be over done.  Good luck and looking forward to seeing the results.  It's a big job.

Yep it is a big job and I have advisors near and far who think I should've done every step differently except for actually volunterring to cook the damn goose.xDxDxD

• Like 9

My 2004 eG Blog

56 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Merry Christmas!!!!!   The goose liver looks fabulous.

Might turn out to be the only part of this goose worth eating!  Just pulled the breasts off and did some nibbling. Damn. Can't send out for pizza. Noticed as It stared at me from the freezer all week  that at the very bottom of its wrapping were the words "Imported from Hungary".  Nothing against Hungary but why in the name of all that's good do we need to import geese from there? I suspect this one made it there (and perhaps back) under its own power!  

• Like 8

My 2004 eG Blog