• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Manitoulin Unravelled

Anna N

7 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

IMG_2652.jpg

The Art of Choke!

Another one I'm a fan of.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Shel_B's non setting vanilla pudding cooked in two stages - cornstarch first then eggs tempered in and cooked again. It's still a bit warm but seems to be appealing to the rug rat.

IMG_2654.jpg

• Like 11

Well, I'm in complete agreement with Kira... I like warm pudding.

• Like 4

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

image.jpeg

Good morning.  Leftover lamb stew -- it's not just for dinner don't cha know. 

• Like 9

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpeg

Poached eggs on toast -- not just for breakfast. :D

Yeah  I guess all of you think I am just being a smart ass. But the truth is I have been longing for poached eggs on toast since the farm fresh eggs arrived here. However, breakfast time around here is a little bit of a circus. The rug rat must be fed and watered before she goes to her carer for the day, Kerry is frequently baking something to take with her to work and I must find something to satisfy my druggist's concern that I don't take certain medications on an empty stomach. It is hard to fit poached eggs into that scenario.  By lunchtime on most days I have the kitchen to myself and so today was the day to meet my need for some poached eggs. 

• Like 20

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

IMG_2658.jpg

So today I again made cream scones with blueberries - these ones had a bit of lemon oil and I remembered the salt - much more satisfactory than yesterdays.

• Like 11

IMG_2659.jpg

Driving through beautiful downtown Wikwemikong today - I noticed a sign for soup and scone $2 at the seniors center. 

A very satisfactory lunch - thought I'm not sure that chili counts as soup in my world and I was expecting scone to be frybread. Instead it was a lovely chunk of a very tasty, tender loaf.

• Like 10

Nice (and you can't knock the price)  but did you have to pass yourself off as a senior? 

• Like 6

My 2004 eG Blog

4 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Nice (and you can't knock the price)  but did you have to pass yourself off as a senior? 

Didn't have to!

So the bread was apparently bannock - which would be the baked version of 'scone' - after much discussion I figured out that it's not a yeast bread - it's basically a savoury quickbread probably baked in a 9 by 13 pan. I do have recipes for same - perhaps that would work as one of the things to bring tomorrow.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Didn't have to!

So the bread was apparently bannock - which would be the baked version of 'scone' - after much discussion I figured out that it's not a yeast bread - it's basically a savoury quickbread probably baked in a 9 by 13 pan. I do have recipes for same - perhaps that would work as one of the things to bring tomorrow.

Interesting. Quoting here from Wikipedia:

As made by Indigenous North Americans, bannock is generally prepared with white or whole wheat flourbaking powder, sugar, lard and water or milk,[10] which are combined and kneaded (possibly with spices, dried fruits or other flavouring agents added) then fried in rendered fatvegetable oil, or shortening, baked in an oven or cooked on a stick.[12]

I am always learning. 

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

3 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Interesting. Quoting here from Wikipedia:

As made by Indigenous North Americans, bannock is generally prepared with white or whole wheat flourbaking powder, sugar, lard and water or milk,[10] which are combined and kneaded (possibly with spices, dried fruits or other flavouring agents added) then fried in rendered fatvegetable oil, or shortening, baked in an oven or cooked on a stick.[12]

I am always learning. 

I suppose though it would be bringing ice cubes to Eskimos! They said they want chocolate tomorrow. One of the nurses said "I hear you are a chocolatier" - that's a hint if I ever heard one!

• Like 7

Ah so!  I must strongly urge you to keep those nurses happy.  Who knows when we might need something like blueberries, raspberries, red currants or ....  A few hours of uninterrupted sleep!  Yeah I know you're in Wiki but wise to keep options open. 

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

keeping the Nurses and Staff Happy ?

so easy :

take an EzeeTemper Pot  

[ed.: weasel he can't remember its actual name !  o.O ]

with not so much " The Good Stuff " but lets say, Tj's 3 lb bar of semi-sweet  

many of them

go to your local theft store and find a number of ladles  

not so big

everybody gets a ladle  and they dip in the the Ezee  once

see ?  how hard is this ?

clean up gear  is probably near by

' On the Cart '

[ed.:  the cart with towels , sheets, etc ]

see  how easy is that.

10 minutes ago, rotuts said:

keeping the Nurses and Staff Happy ?

so easy :

take an EzeeTemper Pot  

[ed.: weasel he can't remember its actual name !  o.O ]

with not so much " The Good Stuff " but lets say, Tj's 3 lb bar of semi-sweet  

many of them

go to your local theft store and find a number of ladles  

not so big

everybody gets a ladle  and they dip in the the Ezee  once

see ?  how hard is this ?

clean up gear  is probably near by

' On the Cart '

[ed.:  the cart with towels , sheets, etc ]

see  how easy is that.

The Instant Pot might be up to this task but the EZtemper just wouldn't lend itself well.  It is designed to keep small containers of cocoa butter at a very precise temperature to allow for almost intant tempering of large amounts of chocolate.  Although it shares some similarities in appearance to an Instant Pot  they are no more alike than cheese and chalk. 

My 2004 eG Blog

Well, good

the rate limiting step would be :

TJ 3 lbs dark chocolate  bars

several

Thrift Sore ladles, many

" take them home "

I see this

clean up gear from the ' Carts "

well when  No One is Too Sick

just saying

3 hours ago, Anna N said:

I am always learning

Yes, my best friend is an indigenous north American who's home reservation is the Kitigan Zibi Reserve in Quebec.

They've come to use bannock in numerous ways — for sandwiches or when cooked on a stick it's opened up and stuffed with various fillings....it's also used in various ways like biscuits...used as a 'cobbler' topping.....they make pizzas with it, etc.

Edited by DiggingDogFarm (log)
  • Like 3

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

Usually, more a fry bread.

Bannock: Canada’s Bread (recipe at the bottom)

• Like 1

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

So tonight I drove out to the Billing's stretch to the farm of Myra and Pierre. Myra is the nurse who brought me red currents. She and Pierre were celebrating their 30th anniversary. 

Though there are no pictures to prove it - I was greeted with a glass of wine and Pissaladière. Following that sirloin on the bbq, lovely little potatoes and several salads. A cheese course of course (Pierre is french!) - gruyere and roquefort. Then the same red current cake I made for work but made in the 9x13 pan and made with ground hazelnuts rather than almonds - and an additional cake from Costco - layers of sponge, mousse and ganache. 

IMG_2667.jpg

Tonight was a Full Buck Moon (aka Full Hay Moon). 

IMG_2665.jpg

Too much ETOH and people start carrying around animals I find - this is one of quadruplets born in early January that had to be bottle fed and kept in the house. Not going to be easy to eat her!

• Like 12

IMG_2660.jpg

Banana bread for the nursing home

IMG_2669.jpg

IMG_2668.jpg

Two different gingers and some burnt almond and smoked salt bark for the the clinic (most of the crystallized ginger is actually for Anna).

• Like 10

Do love my chocolate dipped ginger. Hard to ration it!  

• Like 8

My 2004 eG Blog