• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Manitoulin Unravelled

Anna N

3 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

image.jpeg

This is how we treat guests - hot dogs for lunch - but they are jumbos 

I'll take that with relish ... and some mustard, minced onion and Texas weiner sauce.

• Like 2

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

1 hour ago, suzilightning said:

I'll take that with relish ... and some mustard, minced onion and Texas weiner sauce.

And what pray tell is Texas weiner sauce?

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

And what pray tell is Texas weiner sauce?

Thank you... I was afraid to ask that question.

• Like 2

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

In Northwest New Jersey ... and other areas of Northern New Jersey ... Texas  weiner sauce is a not sweet...not hot... chili sauce that goes on hot dogs up this way. It has been around from the early 20th century and was developed in various Greek diners.

• Like 4

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

2 minutes ago, suzilightning said:

In Northwest New Jersey ... and other areas of Northern New Jersey ... Texas  weiner sauce is a not sweet...not hot... chili sauce that goes on hot dogs up this way. It has been around from the early 20th century and was developed in various Greek diners.

Does it have hamburger in it?

3 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Does it have hamburger in it?

what is this hamburger you speak of my sister?

it does have ground beef in it.......

• Like 3

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

16 minutes ago, suzilightning said:

Extends far from NJ.

'Texas hots' or just 'hots' have been popular in this area since about 1920.

Edited by DiggingDogFarm (log)
  • Like 2

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

Jane and Michael Stern have a good recipe in their Real Food book....really close to what we get at the diner

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

4 minutes ago, suzilightning said:

Real Food book

Which book, exactly?

They have several books with similar titles.

Is it the Roadfood book?

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

Just now, DiggingDogFarm said:

Which book, exactly?

They have several books with similar titles.

Is it the Roadfood book?

Real American Food   page 245.

This is the book my mom gave me that had the recipe for beef on weck, weck rolls, speidies and Cinncinatti chili

• Like 2

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

IMG_2648.jpg

Enjoying very late for us - a Mai Tai

IMG_2650.jpg

And lamb stew - grabbed a couple of packages of lamb bony cuts and shoulder chops early this am - Anna transformed them in the IP into stew.

• Like 12

5 hours ago, rotuts said:

is that ' Relish ' on that Dog ?

if so, it's placement on that dog must come from an allele's expression  that's right next to the Miracle Whip allele, which also seems to be

expressed.  Wonder what's connected to those two allele's, on each side ?

just saying.

O.o

Those two alleles are connected by a third for ketsup - expressing themselves as Thousand Island Dressing!

• Like 9

15 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Those two alleles are connected by a third for ketsup - expressing themselves as Thousand Island Dressing!

Splice in a "Mc" and you have Special Sauce.

• Like 4

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

28 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

IMG_2646.jpg

Again we made dragons - can't teach airbrushing without dragons - the official reptile of my life!

I wouldn't believe those were chocolate unless I knew you guys.  Very cool.

Anna, how long did you do the lamb in the IP?  I've yet to make venison stew and I need to do that ( once we quit living on the surface of the sun here in Kansas ).

• Like 2

@Shelby

Winged this one all the way. Browned the lamb and the onions. Added a couple of chopped tomatoes. Bunged these into the IP with 2 cups chix stock. Put cut up potatoes and carrots in "blossom" steamer on top. Cooked x 20 minutes on high pressure. Let pressure drop naturally x 15 minutes. Defatted and thickened liquid.  

• Like 5

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpeg

Forgot to post this last night. Another of Kerry's nurse friends picked raspberries for us yesterday. I enjoyed a small bowl with just a drizzle of cream. 

• Like 13

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

18 hours ago, rotuts said:

is that ' Relish ' on that Dog ?

if so, it's placement on that dog must come from an allele's expression  that's right next to the Miracle Whip allele, which also seems to be

expressed.  Wonder what's connected to those two allele's, on each side ?

just saying.

O.o

The ketchup-on-a-hot-dog gene.

ETA I see great minds have thought alike

Edited by gfweb (log)
  • Like 2

Dogs only require mustard, 'ballpark' or dijon, based on ones background and freshly chopped onions.  Lots of both.

and one of those white wonder bread buns, streamed a little so they are warm, or micro'd for a few seconds first.

that's the normal way to eat a dogs.  soooo  good you have to have several.  always with a steamed wonder bread bun.

@Anna N   :  personally, next time those airbrushes turn up, just hit the cocktails early, or have a large ice cold Jug of

old fashioned Soave ( remember those Jugs ? )  M.R.d ready to go in advance.

everything works out well that way.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, rotuts said:

Dogs only require mustard, 'ballpark' or dijon, based on ones background and freshly chopped onions.  Lots of both.

and one of those white wonder bread buns, streamed a little so they are warm, or micro'd for a few seconds first.

that's the normal way to eat a dogs.

It appears I've eaten a large number of hot dogs abnormally...

• Like 7

@Tri2Cook  

no worries.  Plenty of Time to See the Light and move On

Today and Tomorrow  are the days that Matter.

Just Move On.

[ed.: what a bunch of Cr*p.  literally .  Just Refine and pay a bit more attention.  dogs A vs Dos B good news  ts simple when you have deux dogs

on your paper plate }

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@Tri2Cook  

no worries.  Plenty of Time to See the Light and move On

Today and Tomorrow  are the days that Matter.

Would 10 Hail Mustards and 5 Our Onions absolve me? :D

I'm a fan of the mustard and onion dog but sometimes I like a chili cheese dog or a slaw dog or a junkyard dog* or a Chicago dog or...

*Edit: what I call a junkyard dog (mustard, onion, relish, chili, cheese, coleslaw) and what the popular version consists of are two different things but I'm not putting french fries on my hot dogs.

Edited by Tri2Cook (log)
  • Like 4

@Tri2Cook

yes  a chile dog has its place

cheese doe not

ever carefully cultivated dans your own Cabinet  

TJ's o0zie   Brie / camembert.

just saying her and hopefully testing soon !

"" Home Aged'd  ""

• Like 1