• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Manitoulin Unravelled

Anna N

3 hours ago, Anna N said:

We won't likely become neighbours then. :o:o

That rule was rescinded years ago, because of the outcry from the public, and members of the state assembly. The NJ state food police ended up with egg on their face, as they scrambled to explain their reasoning behind the rule.  We don't need to be coddled here in Jersey.  We like our hazardous waste sites supersized, our bribes in used $100.00 bills (and no consecutive serial numbers if you please) and our egg yolks runny.

• Like 16

"A fool", he said, "would have swallowed it". Samuel Johnson

2 hours ago, Deryn said:

JoNorvelleWalker - Are poached eggs illegal in NJ too? If the rationale for no 'sunny side up' eggs is that they may be dangerously uncooked then I would assume that poached eggs also fall under that banner? 

In WA, or at least Seattle (this may be a county rule rather than state), all restaurants serving anything remotely rare need to have a disclaimer on the menu that eating raw or undercooked food may be hazardous to health. Some places get pretty creative with their wording, which can be amusing. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

How about this old Tupperware piece

image.jpg

It's a 'Flavor Saver' for ham, chicken, turkey. etc.

There should be a part inside, a lifter — with handles, that's removable.

• Like 3

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

3 hours ago, Arey said:

That rule was rescinded years ago, because of the outcry from the public, and members of the state assembly. The NJ state food police ended up with egg on their face, as they scrambled to explain their reasoning behind the rule.  We don't need to be coddled here in Jersey.  We like our hazardous waste sites supersized, our bribes in used $100.00 bills (and no consecutive serial numbers if you please) and our egg yolks runny.

Seriously, I did not know the egg law had been repealed.  Here is an article from the LA Times:

http://articles.latimes.com/1992-01-23/food/fo-544_1_fresh-eggs

"A similar episode to the New Jersey egg fiasco occurred in recent years in Canada, but did not result in as many guffaws."

I still recall a business brunch with customers of ours from Switzerland at a hotel restaurant in Princeton, as the waitress carefully explained the law.  I did not think the law was silly -- though I did not vote for Florio in the next election.

Back in the last century it may not have been practical to pasteurize eggs in the shell or otherwise, but it is easy enough now.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

3 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Thoughts on what this might be?

image.jpeg

It looks sort of like an opener for tabs on cans. Here's something similar looking on Amazon (click). Not sure what the business on the other end is intended for.

• Like 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

8 minutes ago, Toliver said:

It looks sort of like an opener for tabs on cans. Here's something similar looking on Amazon (click). Not sure what the business on the other end is intended for.

Maybe the other end is like a church key?

• Like 1

may I ask what the BrownBags are ?

flour or such ?

Id love a closer pic to see them better.

back in the day, my dog Ridge, a Labrador, was kenneled in the Northern Reaches  of  NH when I went to visit my father.

it was just the right place for him

near By was King Arthur's Flour

what a wonderful place.   they sold many of their flours in those same-ish brown bags,

• Like 1

So we didn't make it out to Loonsong as the products are now being retailed in town by The Island Jar. Stores are much less interesting than working farms!  

We looked at our options for eating lunch in town but concluded that our best bet was to head back to the condo and make our own. 

image.jpeg

We both had much the same thing leftover Cuban picadillo with pickled pears.  Kerry washed hers down with tea and I washed mine down with a Starbucks cappuccino.  

• Like 7

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

3 hours ago, rotuts said:

may I ask what the BrownBags are ?

flour or such ?

Id love a closer pic to see them better.

back in the day, my dog Ridge, a Labrador, was kenneled in the Northern Reaches  of  NH when I went to visit my father.

it was just the right place for him

near By was King Arthur's Flour

what a wonderful place.   they sold many of their flours in those same-ish brown bags,

Yes, they are flours and oats.  Red Fyfe, rolled oats and dark rye from Loonsong and unground spelt from the bulk bin at The Island Jar. 

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpeg

Dessert tonight was the best mango I have ever eaten. Kerry found these at Costco. They are imported from Israel.  Since I was alone in the kitchen prepping the mango I leaned over the sink and sucked every last morsel off the pit and used my teeth to strip the skin. :biggrin:

• Like 14

My 2004 eG Blog

Could that strange item be a jar opener (and bottle opener) of some kind? Can't completely tell the scale .. would the non-metal end opening fit over a metal lid to (be lifted and) break the seal?

Breakfast for me this morning was just buttered toast so no photograph. After breakfast I tackled the fermenting kimchi the smell of which has permeated every corner of the condo.  One quickly understands why Koreans have kimchi fridges. Anyway it has now been tranferred to two much larger jars which I have only half-filled hoping to contain the bubbly, fermenting contents. 

Kerry is off today so we are going to head out to Mindemoya in search of a couple of ingredients. 

• Like 6

My 2004 eG Blog

Wow   A goose avec ABA !

wait, that's a different ABA with more B's

I can't imagine a Goose  Fz or Not locally , with ABA or not.

best of luck  !

of course. never having cooked one, I have certain ideas.

Certified , BTW

https://www.google.com/search?q=certified+certificates&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi1n7XYt-7NAhXGbT4KHXTlCy4QsAQIPw&biw=1437&bih=1275

pick which ever you want, Ill print it up  ( sorry, B & W only ) and send it along.

" Remember the Tendons "

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 1

Wow, C$54.56 for a goose! I have never seen a goose sold in South Africa, but that equates to ZAR601.00, which is most probably why I have never seen them sold here - I would equate that price to 10 XXL fresh whole chickens or, better still, 6 x 1kg boxes #14 - 18 giant Mozambique IQF prawns. That's Christmas, New Year and 2 x birthday celebrations for two years from the prawns alone!

As a matter of interest, what was the cost of a brick of butter and what weight is it. Butter in SA has basically doubled in price since December last year and now retails for around C$3.82 per 500g brick. It looks like the chicken thighs were C$5.75 for 4, which is about double what I would pay here in South Africa for a pack of four nice large ones.

Cape Town - At the foot of a flat topped mountain with a tablecloth covering it.

Some time ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die.

8 minutes ago, JohnT said:

Wow, C$54.56 for a goose! I have never seen a goose sold in South Africa, but that equates to ZAR601.00, which is most probably why I have never seen them sold here - I would equate that price to 10 XXL fresh whole chickens or, better still, 6 x 1kg boxes #14 - 18 giant Mozambique IQF prawns. That's Christmas, New Year and 2 x birthday celebrations for two years from the prawns alone!

As a matter of interest, what was the cost of a brick of butter and what weight is it. Butter in SA has basically doubled in price since December last year and now retails for around C$3.82 per 500g brick. It looks like the chicken thighs were C$5.75 for 4, which is about double what I would pay here in South Africa for a pack of four nice large ones.

Kerry found the butter she likes at $4 .99/lb which is as cheap as we have seen it since we arrived on the Island. Chicken thighs sometimes go on sale but usually it is drumsticks. 

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog