• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kicking back in Manitoulin

Anna N

IMG_5129.thumb.JPG.187566042f01032b6106eb405b82ab59.JPG

We both opted for the negroni - grabbed ice from the hospital - we will start making some proper ice overnight. 

IMG_5131.thumb.JPG.4ddd5e3a8c5d328e082809579405097c.JPG

Another picture of dinner - Anna threw this together in a very short time and it was quite delicious.

• Like 19

6 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Lovely meal!

Why no oil?

We are only partially unpacked. There may or may not be oil somewhere in this condo. But we were hungry and finding oil was the least important thing on our minds.  I scanned the refrigerator spotted the ghee and said "Ha"  that will work. 

• Like 5

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

7 minutes ago, IowaDee said:

Is that what you call a "ghee whiz"moment?  Feel free to groan now.

GGGGRRRROOOOAAAANNNNN. 

• Like 2

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

51 minutes ago, FauxPas said:

How long will your visit be? Any big Canada Day plans?

We are here until after Haw Eater Weekend (that's the first weekend in August). 

I suspect I'll spend my Canada Day removing fishhooks and sewing up those who have had a bit too much to drink.

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, lindag said:

Is the Thermomix used for chocolate or do you use it for other things?

Rarely used for chocolate - we use it for pretty much everything where a blender, mixer, dough kneader might find a use. 

I nearly missed the start of your latest adventure back "on-island", as some would say. I must admit that I enjoy bridges and find the "Little Current Swing Bridge" quite fascinating, considering it is over a 100 years old. Thanks for that photo Anna. The norm in the days of its construction was to build a bascule bridge, using counterweights to ease the opening and closing. However, the designers most likely steered away from this method due to the quite large span. It must have been quite a lonely position to have been made the bridge controller in the old days, similar to the life of a lighthouse keeper!

May your time on-island be great cooking, smooth cocktails and not too much time spent removing fish hooks from careless fingers (and other parts of the human anatomy). I will be following your latest adventure, once again, with interest.

• Like 3

Cape Town - At the foot of a flat topped mountain with a tablecloth covering it.

Some time ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die.

3 hours ago, KennethT said:

Am I the only one who thinks cooking beef in ghee is slightly ironic?

Think "Chicken and Egg Donburi".:D:D

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

9 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

We are here until after Haw Eater Weekend (that's the first weekend in August). 

I suspect I'll spend my Canada Day removing fishhooks and sewing up those who have had a bit too much to drink.

We have a most amazing crop of Hawberries this year.  Never seen anything like it.  Hop Ironwood fruits also.  I suspect it's a mast year for them.  

• Like 2

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

IMG_5136.jpg.013750d100327f78fdf59fa43da15711.jpg

Fed the rug rat this - and had a piece myself.

IMG_5141.jpg.ed651bd1b8bb10a62c94308a56865917.jpg

Noticed one of the cruise ships coming in - wonder how it's going to get back out!

IMG_5148.jpg.3daac2dfdc970b33a0c4cd2131b2bfa2.jpg

Batch of Butterscotch Squares made last night for when I get called in to the ER.

• Like 14

Yes - bridge was apparently stuck open a couple of days ago - then they manually closed it and left it that way. There is some discussion about trying to swing it only 3 times a day but I'm not sure what is happening with that currently.

• Like 3

Good morning. It's cool and a bit showery at present but there are hints of much improvement as the day progresses. From my vantage point in my favourite arm chair I am seeing early revellers walking along the road in their very red t-shirts.  Even one dog went by in a red garment. image.jpeg.b77065014a11da3293c29b1df750ab18.jpeg

image.jpeg.cec1108181643896d6d276550b0dd811.jpeg

Not expecting to get up to much today. Kerry is on call and right now is madly unpacking the condo and the stuff we carted up here. I try to stay out of the way as I am rarely much help.  

• Like 14

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Kerry Beal said:

IMG_5148.jpg.3daac2dfdc970b33a0c4cd2131b2bfa2.jpg

Batch of Butterscotch Squares made last night for when I get called in to the ER.

Are you leaving the nuts out of the recipe?

Cape Town - At the foot of a flat topped mountain with a tablecloth covering it.

Some time ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die.

Kerry has gone off to the hospital to perform indispensable life-saving chores or at least to hand out a few antibiotics here and there and has left me with instructions to post photos of this that and the other thing for your amusement.  I think I probably deserve the title if not the salary of a PA (Physician's Assistant).

image.jpeg.57e9db7ac85871f86e70e30017cf54e8.jpeg

First, for @JoNorvelleWalker.   The only new booze we brought up so we can make a legitimate Widow's Kiss.  

image.jpeg.965e42425b6a1a6cc76277d15f0aa3d4.jpeg

Our partially unpacked bar.

image.jpeg.3edcbccc631ce1bb002d2000ae0ba89d.jpeg

The remaining three boxes of yet to be unpacked bar supplies and booze along with a box crammed with ingredients that we may not unpack but just dive into as needed.

• Like 20

My 2004 eG Blog

For all the booze up here and all the talk of booze up here, neither Kerry nor I are serious drinkers.  I usually limit myself to one or two drinks at any one time bearing in mind Dorothy Parker's ditty.  The extensive bar up here is more about choice than it is about excessive consumption.

• Like 11

My 2004 eG Blog

I sent Kerry off with a grocery list to pick up on her way back from the hospital. She just sent me a text to say that the grocery stores or not likely open today since it is Canada Day.  Duh!  We have more than enough food to make it through. No worries. 

image.jpeg.158b60ba09dbdba84e5e2c9dd6abd062.jpegimage.jpeg.85272e532ee9ad6a8aa90360ec17c9b0.jpeg

The dining room table from two angles. Most of this is stuff we brought up from down south. I have no clue what is in there. And finally there is a box in my bedroom  containing the ingredients I want to play with.  

• Like 10

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpeg.a14143221e63c6ed4fc7e21b86a6136b.jpeg

And some of the ingredients we brought up.  Shouldn't be too hard to figure out where our main focus might be in terms of world cuisine. I suspect Kerry is going to teach me how to make Kibbe judging from the two packages of Bulgur that I see there!

• Like 10

My 2004 eG Blog