• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sous Vide - first purchase advice please

stonypaul

I apologise in advance if these questions are answered elsewhere in this forum, and if they appear a bit naive, but any help is much appreciated.

circulator vs water bath

• For my first sous vide equipment purchase I'm considering a circulator model as opposed to a water oven.
  • The portability of a circulator for visiting relatives etc, the ease of storage, and the flexibility of container to use with it, all appeal.
  • The reservation I have is that if you use a container without a lid will the heat escape faster and the circulator will have to work that much harder to maintain the temperature? The purpose built gastronorm machines on sale seem to vary in price and some appear quite expensive.

vacuum machine

• Are there particular specifications of vacuum machine I should consider for medium to large joints of meat?

Thank you

Edited by Smithy
Added tag (log)

There are many others here with far more experience, but I just did a 72 hour brisket cook with circulator and I was amazed by how little evaporation there was.  It was a full packer brisket in a cooler and although I covered it with plastic wrap, it definitely wasn't air tight.  If evaporation is any concern at all, I think it is far outweighed by the portability and flexibility of an immersion circulator.  As for vacuum machines, I just have a food saver and it works well enough for me.  I do occasionally wish I had one that can deal with liquid, but not enough to give up the space and money for a chamber style unit.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, rustwood said:

There are many others here with far more experience, but I just did a 72 hour brisket cook with circulator and I was amazed by how little evaporation there was.  It was a full packer brisket in a cooler and although I covered it with plastic wrap, it definitely wasn't air tight.  If evaporation is any concern at all, I think it is far outweighed by the portability and flexibility of an immersion circulator.  As for vacuum machines, I just have a food saver and it works well enough for me.  I do occasionally wish I had one that can deal with liquid, but not enough to give up the space and money for a chamber style unit.

Thank you rustwood, it's good to hear of experiences like this to avoid buying something which isn't fit for purpose

I have both an immersion circulator and a Sous Vide Supreme. I find I use the SVS far more often because I don't need the capacity of the immersion circulator for a few steaks or chops, however, if you are doing big items, the circulator may be a better choice for you. As far as the circulator holding the temp, I have never had a problem with it in an open bath. It would probably be more efficient if you built an insulated container, but then you loose some of the portability.

As for vacuum sealers, I just use the displacement method with regular ziplocks or the vacuum pump ziplocks, which have always been sufficient. So I can't give any advice beyond that. 

• Like 1

I like my Sousvide Supreme Demi - very easy to use. But it does take up a fair bit of cupboard storage. I use mine for pasteurising and finishing jam jars and the like as well, so it works for me.

Seconding the ziplock recommend - that was a game changer for me and I almost never drag out the vacuum sealer now, just use regular ziplocks. Just one less prep / faff step.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, msacuisine said:

I have both an immersion circulator and a Sous Vide Supreme. I find I use the SVS far more often because I don't need the capacity of the immersion circulator for a few steaks or chops, however, if you are doing big items, the circulator may be a better choice for you. As far as the circulator holding the temp, I have never had a problem with it in an open bath. It would probably be more efficient if you built an insulated container, but then you loose some of the portability.

As for vacuum sealers, I just use the displacement method with regular ziplocks or the vacuum pump ziplocks, which have always been sufficient. So I can't give any advice beyond that. 

but doesn't the displacement method mean that you have to keep the zipped end out of the water to avoid water getting into the bag?

I only have a circulator and have multiple Cambro containers for small to big jobs, all with lids with a cut out for the circulator.  Minimal evaporation 

Benefits being the containers can be stored in the garage and the Anova fits in a pull out shelf in one of the cabinets. My wife tells me I already have too much sh...stuff on the counter tops.  

• Like 5

I've never used a SVS, but I can tell you I purely LOVE my Anova circulator. I don't have any trouble with it holding temp in an open container; I do mine in the laundry room sink, so it's no problem to add water to make up for evap during a long cook, either. I can avoid the evap problem if I cover the container (I usually use my big waterbath canner) with plastic wrap or foil. If I were worried about maintaining heat -- say, if I were using it in an unheated environment on a cold day -- I might drape a folded towel over the top, and wrap the container in another couple of towels.

I have a medium range Foodsaver, but it's something of a pain in the butt to drag out and use. For bigger things, or for convenience, I use a gallon or two-gallon ZipLoc freezer bag and suspend it from kitchen twine tied across the top of the canner, using a chip clip. 

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

4 hours ago, stonypaul said:

but doesn't the displacement method mean that you have to keep the zipped end out of the water to avoid water getting into the bag?

I should add that except for very long cooks, I generally use ziplock freezer bags.  Like Kayb said, it is just easier not to have to pull out the foodsaver.  I don't actually know that ziplocks wouldn't work for a long cook, but for a big 72 hour brisket I am not going to take the chance.  In any case, I generally keep the zipped end out of the water, but that isn't hard to do.  I use big binder clips to hold the bags to the side of the bath.

Edited by rustwood
brevity? (log)
  • Like 1

It depends what is "a large joint of meat".  A pork chop?  A shoulder of lamb?  A leg of mutton?  Half a goat?  A stuffed camel?  Side of beef?  I sealed and poached a whole fish last night.

I'd suggest an Anova, sized to the above.  Get a large, deep stock pot...which can double, among other things, for making stock.  For tender meat and times of a few hours no need to cover with a lid.  For overnight or up to 72 hours cover with plastic wrap.

Once you use a chamber vacuum sealer you will not look back.  But they are heavy and expensive.  The width of the sealing bar is the most important parameter for the size of bag that can be used.  If you are just vacuum sealing meat for cooking no fancy features or ultra high vacuum are required.  Dave Arnold has demonstrated the taste advantage of lower vacuum.

There are long threads here on the subject of sous vide you may wish to peruse in detail.  Keep asking questions.  Best of luck.

• Like 3

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I have an anova and a svs. Both are great. SVS takes up a lot of space so I keep it in the basement, but it is ready to go down there whereas the anova needs set-up (minimal) and counterspace. Overall anova wins if I didn't have a basement.

Re zip lock. If it is a ziplock without the zipper it will stay sealed underwater. Never had a failure.  But I would use binder clips too just to be safe for a precious cut.

Re evaporation...aluminum foil with a kitchen towel thrown over it works great if you don't have a cambro with a cutout in t he lid.

• Like 1

Anova : lots of flexibility  re various containers, storage etc.

zips are fine for many jobs, but if you find SV calling to you for larger and larger jobs, a vacuum sealer is well worth it.

it will also be worth it to you in the long run if you do large jobs to get a chamber vac w a pump that handles water vapor.

the Vacmaster VP 215  is outstanding.  but its 95 lbs, and about 800 $$$  although recently for a few days on sale.

you may not need true above  so wait and see how much you use SV.   I use different sizes of Beer Coolers, depending on the size of the job.

• Like 1

Yeah, I use press together style bags rather than ziplock ziplock too, if that makes any sense? And try to keep it above the water line at the opening, just in case. But I mainly just cook small cuts of meat and fish.

• Like 1

I just recently took the plunge into SV cooking.  I'm sad that it took me so long to try it because we LOVE it.   I don't know how much you've dug around EG but this thread was tremendously helpful for me:

Also there is the Sous Vide Index:

@Chris Hennes recommended this Gourmia circulator so I bought it and it works great.  

http://www.amazon.com/Gourmia-GSV-130B-Immersion-Circulator-Precision/dp/B017HX1FTC?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

I use a Food Saver vac. packer.  Never tried zip locks. 

For longer or hotter cooking times I, like others have said, cover my pot with Saran Wrap.  I also use a towel underneath my pot as well as on top if it's colder in the house.

I hope you take pictures and share your meals with us :) 

• Like 3

I use a circulator by MasterVAC SV1 with a 19L (5gal) plastic tub. It will work in my 10L (12qt) tubs and deep stock pots. If needed, it will do up to 30L for bigger jobs. I use a cutting board (or marble pastry board) over the top of the tub to reduce the evaporation and humidity in the kitchen. The circulator is easy to store away (to free counter/work space) in my covered box with other equipment I don't use every day. It has been very dependable and results have been great. 

I have a edge vacuum sealer but frequently use the "water displacement" method for liquids (and such). Especially small quantity items. The double ziplock bags work well for me. If I worry about leakage for long SV times, I seal the ziplock in a vacuum bag. Sort of like wearing a belt with suspenders but it works for me. I also will use Ball Jars (as in canning) with loose fitting lids for custards, like Creme Brûlée. The air is driven out just like the canning process.

I suggest you consider the size of the meal(s) you plan to make. To start by using one of your pots with a smaller circulator is fine, just be sure the food packet is completely submerged the whole time. Floating is a bad thing for SV. All of the brands mentioned have good ratings by others. Read the features carefully (wattage/amps/volts/peak) and be sure it has a auto-shutoff if the water level gets too low. 

I hope you get one and start enjoying the experience of something new to you for cooking.

• Like 1

I think a circulator is more versatile, and will also be more precise for the kinds of jobs that require it. Very hard to go wrong with an Anova.

I'd suggest starting with ziplocs. Learn the straightforward techniques for using them, and they provide few real downsides for s.v. cooking, and some advantages, like for foods that you don't want to compress (burgers etc). Obviously they are not useful for vacuum functions like rapid pickling, etc.. You can always get a chamber vacuum machine later. I think their attractiveness will depend somewhat on your counter space.

For ziplocs, get the quart and gallon freezer bags, and only the ones with out the plastic zipper handle. I've found these 100% reliable up to 95°C. My only gripe is that after freezing food in them, they will often leak after thawing (whether or not they were used for S.V. cooking).

For containers, the nice thing with a circulator is that you can choose anything. Here's what I've found most useful:

1) a 12-quart polycarbonate cambro-type square container. I like the Carlsle brand because it's straighter at the top, but anything will work. This is so useful that I bought a 2nd one (they nest). I use these for cooking most things, for bagging food in the ziplocs, and for chilling the bags in ice water after cooking.

2) a 30 quart beer cooler for bigger jobs or longer cooks. Ideally get one that has insulation in the lid (most don't). Remove the hinges and use a jigsaw to cut a hole for the circulator. You can cook for days in this with the energy consumption of a night light.

3) accessories for the above: a roll of Reflectix insulating bubble wrap, cut to sit on top of the water and reduce evaporative and radiative heat loss (most important with the cambro), and, if you like, a rack to keep the bags organized (the one made for the SV supreme is nice, or you can get something from Staples and hope it doesn't rust). 

• Like 5

Notes from the underbelly

On April 12, 2016 at 11:35 PM, rustwood said:

I should add that except for very long cooks, I generally use ziplock freezer bags.  Like Kayb said, it is just easier not to have to pull out the foodsaver.  I don't actually know that ziplocks wouldn't work for a long cook, but for a big 72 hour brisket I am not going to take the chance.  In any case, I generally keep the zipped end out of the water, but that isn't hard to do.  I use big binder clips to hold the bags to the side of the bath.

They work great for long cooks. I'm more concerned with very high temperature cooks. I've used them up to 95C, but you can tell the bag and the closure is soft at these temps. The plastic seems to get its strength back once cooled. When doing veggies at the higher temperatures i'm just extra careful when handling the bags.

• Like 2

Notes from the underbelly

All though I don't use them for SV

the freezer version of the ZipLocks is the only way to go.  better Zip  by far

@paulraphael  

has the right info right there.

the anova is :

anova circulator

179  delivered    if you are carefull, no tax your area

Shelby love this one :

http://www.amazon.com/Gourmia-GSV-130B-Immersion-Circulator-Precision/dp/B017HX1FTC?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

I don't have one, so its up to you

start with either.   I think there are more Anova's out there than the other.

you won't look back !

On 4/11/2016 at 11:42 PM, msacuisine said:

The Anova looks good but not sure it's available in the UK, or even Europe, which is a shame. Not sure it's a good idea buying a 110v model and using it in the UK with a adaptor, otherwise it would be a serious consideration for purchase

14 minutes ago, stonypaul said:

The Anova looks good but not sure it's available in the UK, or even Europe, which is a shame. Not sure it's a good idea buying a 110v model and using it in the UK with a adaptor, otherwise it would be a serious consideration for purchase

There may well be other sources and other circulators more suited to you but if you order from Anova, you can select 220 voltage and the plug from the drop down when you select the item.  

anova.jpg

Edited by blue_dolphin
To add screen shot (log)

9 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

There may well be other sources and other circulators more suited to you but if you order from Anova, you can select 220 voltage and the plug from the drop down when you select the item.  

Yes just checked but the 220v UK version is sold out