• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cooking during blizzard.

chefmd

Admittedly not cooking yet, per se, but I'm working my way though a bottle of Colonel E.H. Taylor straight rye and a bowl of excellent hickory smoked almonds.  I may switch to some beverage more doughty.  Indeed I plan to -- however I need to warm myself up first.

The balcony snow depth is about twice my picture earlier.  Seated at the dining room table I now have no view.  And not much view standing up.  Feels slightly claustrophobic.

• Like 3

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

We've got around 2 ft and its still coming down. An annoyance inland, but the people on the coast have real flooding problems, worse than Sandy was in NJ and DE.

I have Knob Creek helping me through the trial.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, HungryChris said:

Rotus, not sure what M.R. is , but suddenly feel the need to point out that Debbie and I  will be sharing Irish Coffee when I'm done with the shoveling.

M.R. = Methode Rotuts an advanced technique for serving fine wines. :B

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Arey said:

A few years ago , one Saturday evening with the power out I was sitting in the dark drinking a glass of Pinot Noir and listening to Garrison Keiler (who I don't care for) doing Prairie Home Companion (which has never appealed to me) on my little portable radio which can only pick up NJ public radio and I said to myself "You know Arey, your Saturday nights have never been anything to get excited about, but I think you're setting a new low tonight".

Oh, Arey!

You are indeed funny. Had me literally laughing out loud and slapping the table in front of my keyboard. Could it be... self-recognition? :smile:

@rotuts Thanks for the link to the magic lantern on Amazon. Seriously, this $30 device is a lantern/emergency beacon/flashlight/radio/mobile device charger that doesn't require batteries! In hurricane and ice storm country, why did I not know about this before? :S

Last night after the power fluctuation scare, I had a thought, a very dumb one. "Well if the power goes out tonight, I can just use one of the electric fireplaces until the husband wakes up to get the generator going." Riiigghht. I will build a dynamo with no knowledge and no materials to do so. :laugh: Doh! Typical, though. During the Hurricane Fran 9-day outage, I can't tell you how many times I flicked the dead light switches when entering a room. Habit.

Obviously I lucked out and never lost power, thank goodness. They have already restored over a quarter million homes in NC, but about 100,000 are still without. Almost half of those are in my county. I feel so sorry for them, but am rejoicing that for once, it's not us. Maybe that tree coming down recently with the power lines a week or so ago was a blessing in disguise. It only took a few hours for restoration because it wasn't part of a widespread disaster. The threat is mostly over for us here for a while. *crosses fingers and knocks wood*

I merrily roasted cauliflower ($3.99/head) in the oven. I reheated a couple fried chicken wings in there too, and cooked up some baby limas until nearly done and then added mixed veggies with corn, carrots, peas and green beans on the electric stove top, then drained and finished with butter. The leftover spareribs made another appearance as well. Texas Pete on my wing.

I am so thankful and feel so blessed to be warm and comfortable, and I wish all those without power the very soonest possible restoration.

• Like 7

> ^ . . ^ <

1 hour ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

I am so thankful and feel so blessed to be warm and comfortable, and I wish all those without power the very soonest possible restoration.

I believe our snow has ended.  And after sufficient Mississippi punch I finally got around to cooking:  54:14:43 hour chuck steak, the best that I have made.  Broccolini hollandaise piment d'Espelette, roast fingerlings, and -- throwing all caution of global warming and greenhouse gasses to the winds -- roast Jerusalem artichokes, a vegetable I ne'er had cooked nor tasted in my life.  (With lemon juice and parsley.)  O were they delicious!

Edit:  I also started a poolish for tomorrow.

Edited by JoNorvelleWalker
afterthought (log)
  • Like 7

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I woke up and immediately ran to the window.  Snow has stopped!  We have power!  Now I can sleep a little more and wake up to more  cooking.  And grocery stores will be open.  

• Like 4

Electric stayed on, and the back bays stayed out in the street. , The street is lined with bracken but it barely made it over the curb. I really enjoyed the nacho cheese Doritos. @Rotuts I just added one of those hand cranked lanterns to my Amazon shopping cart thank you for the link. It's there along with a set of 4 fancy cheese knives I don't really need.  My Saturday night dinner was the usual, sandwich , cole slaw, and chips on a tray in front of the TV.  And, of course,  Pinot Noir. 

Edited by Arey (log)
  • Like 4

"A fool", he said, "would have swallowed it". Samuel Johnson

not so bad here :

56a4dcf3e719c_Snow24Jan16.thumb.jpg.bb0f

you may note the tracks of a couple of Tick-Bombs passing through in the early morning.  You have to be a Seasoned Suburban Tracker to notice.

Where are those Hunters when you need them ?  for some reason icy for the first inch of snow.  and its 15 degrees F.

time to pull out the FuzzyRiceCooker and get some steel cut groats going, with milk.  butter etc

later, when Im 1/2 plowed (  :blink: )   they will be nice w a couple of Edwards Smoked Sausage and sour dough toast.

I hope everyone gets shoveled out.

• Like 4

And just like that.  The storm is over.

56a4e20b45627_160124011AWhiteHousetoCapi

Frittata for breakfast with potatoes, onions, and the last bit of bacon in the house.  Fear not, I can walk to Harris Teeter any time now.  And Sur La Table has extra 20% off clearance, that is an extra incentive to walk to our shopping plaza.

photo(28).JPG.ad43717cc4479e721672ab7fb8

• Like 6

About 20" here. Poor puppy (who was just recently housebroken) won't poop in snow, because snow is for playing and eating. Its a frigging winter wonderland.

56a4f52575d7b_008(2).thumb.jpg.f949a43f4

Edited by gfweb (log)
  • Like 10

"""    I'm JEALOUS """

personally, Id watch those words.

56a4fc72eec76_SnowDone.thumb.jpg.406f9e8

A high-end, well made SnowBlower  with as many HP's at the size that fits through you gate  ( important to remember ) that they make

is better than  SV.  not much, but better.  an no, if you are wondering, not quite as nice as an MR set up.  Close, but a little behind.

whoul'd show you the steel cut oats, but they taste much better than they jpg.

you've seen plenty of M.R., no changes to report.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 3

I am filling up several boxes with snow to send to Shelby, accompanied by a bottle of maple syrup.

chefmd - I will be interested to hear if grocery stores that were sold out on Friday before the storm have managed to resupply their shelves by this morning ... were trucks able to get there?

• Like 5

It's a little bit like The Cat in the Hat Comes Back, after they let out the little cat "Z" to do his work. I looked out the window this morning and the streets are plowed and everything is calm and orderly. Now I'm about to go out, so I'll see what it's like to cross the street, always a big challenge in NYC after a snowstorm!

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Deryn said:

I am filling up several boxes with snow to send to Shelby, accompanied by a bottle of maple syrup.

chefmd - I will be interested to hear if grocery stores that were sold out on Friday before the storm have managed to resupply their shelves by this morning ... were trucks able to get there?

Just came back from a walk.  It is absolutely gorgeous outside but I do NOT want to throw myself into that snow.  Joining Deryn in sending snow to Shelby accompanied by a bottle of MR.

56a509540c963_160424012ATree.thumb.jpg.e

Grocery store is mostly restocked.  And Popeys is open at Pentagon mall.  The force is strong with chicken supply chain.

56a5096184ccc_160424015TeeterChicken.thu

56a50966c980b_160424016Popeyes.thumb.jpg

• Like 9

cakewalk  et al :

i strongly recumbent this sort of thing for 'walks'

the very light ones   ( the pic shows them ) are very easy to put on and off.

saved my fathers life a few times when he came east to visit and Walk the Dog.

saved me also on ling walks w the Dog   :  a light dusting of snow conceals many small   'ice puddles'

Edited by lesliec
eG-friendly Amazon link (log)
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, rotuts said:

they are going to over night it w lots of dry ice, in one of those cooler boxes.

I think they should team up and spring for a refrigerated railcar. 

• Like 5

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Thanks for the pictures, chefmd. The day looks delightful there. Here I am watching the tail end of Jonas wag at us (we are getting maybe a half inch of the fluttery white stuff to cap our current foot or two) as he passes south of this peninsula on his journey east so the sky is still a bit grey but at least the winds are light for a change.

I am amazed at how much meat is back on the shelves there so quickly. But, then I guess there are probably filled warehouses in the DC area so the truck treks are not as long as they are out here.

In this Nova Scotia food wilderness, where food must be trucked in from a minimum of 70 miles away and deliveries are scheduled just once a week to our small grocery store, we are out of various items (fresh produce, meats, breads, milk/eggs/cheese) on a regular basis even if there is no snow storm on any given delivery day. Add in a storm and you will just wait till next week unless you can either make it yourself (from ingredients already on hand) or you already have foods stored in various ways (dehydrated, canned, frozen, freeze-dried) you can use instead of the 'fresh' stuff you might ordinarily run to the store for. My 'larder' is always stocked full to overflowing. Interestingly, the 'natives' here still buy up almost everything left if a storm of any kind is forecast in the next day or two. Always amazes me.

Edited by Deryn (log)
  • Like 3

41 minutes ago, rotuts said:

cakewalk  et al :

i strongly recumbent this sort of thing for 'walks'

http://www.amazon.com/Due-North-Everyday-Snow-Traction/dp/B00E3OWPLG/ref=pd_sim_468_4?ie=UTF8&dpID=51pXyfJt-VL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=0XC82NQA0079KGS7324W

the very light ones   ( the pic shows them ) are very easy to put on and off.

saved my fathers life a few times when he came east to visit and Walk the Dog.

saved me also on ling walks w the Dog   :  a light dusting of snow conceals many small   'ice puddles'

Wow.  Brilliant.  Sure could have used a few pair of those when I lived in central Alaska.  They're such a terrific product that I'm having a hard time resisting ordering some, even though the likelihood that I'll have any use for them down here in southeast Texas is rather remote.

I'll tell yew what - them smart folks is always thinkin'.

• Like 2

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.