• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cooking during blizzard.

chefmd

I have several pairs similar to the ones you are suggesting are good, rotuts. Most were bought originally to save my elderly father from slipping when he went out - and they all work very well (though some are harder to get on and off easily). My problem is that I always forget to put them on.

Jaymes, if you ever visit the DFW area during an ice storm, you would probably appreciate a pair of those too. Actually, when I think about it, I probably used mine more when I lived in TX than I ever have up north.

• Like 1

BTW

i use the light weight ones Ive posed on Crocs  ( red ones of course ) ready to go to bring in wood from my two side wood piles 

Mister Cat has a very low interest in a Walk through the Snow.

does like the Wood I bring in for the Wood Stove.

• Like 1

I use a similar pair of cleats when it's my turn to drive the zamboni at the rink where I play hockey. The zamboni bay isn't as well heated or insulated as anyone would like, and by March, the floor is about like inside the rink. Even (or especially) if you live in areas where you don't get much ice regularly, I'd recommend keeping a pair in your coat closet. Y'know, so once you dig out your grill, you can safely get yourself out to flip the burgers.

• Like 3

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

""   once you dig out your grill, you can safely get yourself out to flip the burgers. ""

if you are a student of Crocs, which almost went out of BizzNess

for the Weber, dans le Deck  avec the WoodPile to its right

easy peasy.

This was a fun thread!  Please don't forget, shoveling is an athletic activity, and you're gonna need a recovery food . . . .

Meanwhile, my Stormy Jonas Take #1 was a riff on the Hemingway daiquiri, with meyer-lemon juice subbed for the lime juice portion, and lime juice subbed for the grapefruit juice portion; and maraschino juice unaltered in portion. The rum was a DR white, Don Reyes [I live in a Dominican neighborhood, and when in Rome during a storm . . . .]

I did not like it.  [I did drink it, tho . . . .]

My Stormy Jonas Take #2 involved the same rum in the same amount; meyer-lemon juice subbed for the lime juice portion; the traditional grapefruit juice; and MUCH less maraschino liquor.  

It was actually bland.  [I did drink it, tho.]

Then I switched to wine.  Because once I hit 40 (several years ago), I found I could no longer even taunt the ruin of a rum hangover.  

Anyway.  Happy digging out, y'all!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rotuts said:

cakewalk  et al :

i strongly recumbent this sort of thing for 'walks'

http://www.amazon.com/Due-North-Everyday-Snow-Traction/dp/B00E3OWPLG/ref=pd_sim_468_4?ie=UTF8&dpID=51pXyfJt-VL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=0XC82NQA0079KGS7324W

the very light ones   ( the pic shows them )  very easy to put on and off.

saved my  life a few times  he came east to visit and  the Dog.

saved me also on ling walks w the Dog   :  a light dusting of snow conceals many small   'ice puddles'

I'm a big fan of those 'tracks'.  I keep a spare pair of shoes with them on next to the front door so I can slip them before heading out to the mailbox or for the newspaper.   I get a lot of use from them as our winters are pretty long here.

in fact I've used mine just about every day since thanksgiving.

• Like 1