• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

ISO easily moldable, smooth dough that doesn’t shrink or expand during baking

Duvel

Sorry for the complicated title. I don’t do much baking (except for pizza & bread), so I‘d like to tell you what I want to do and maybe you‘ll have an idea for me.

I want to make a kind of mini pie, that will be assembled in a moon cake mold - something similar to this:

IMG_0798.thumb.jpeg.072d765589dea935653e7c88d932140c.jpeg

The filing will likely be a classic meat pie filling or whatever I fancy - just not the „classic“ stuff, which I do not care for. 

I would like to have a dough recipe/formulation, that:

- is easily assembled

- fills out the mold and keeps the intricate pattern during baking

- doesn’t expand or shrink (to keep shape and pattern properly)

- gives a pleasant taste and texture (not too hard, maybe short crust like …)

I am not interested in the „classic“ dough formulation with lye water etc. as I do not care for the texture at all.

Thanks in advance 🙏

Not a recipe, but an observation.   I make pie crust (primary fat is butter, and I try to keep hydration low) and have fought the shrinkage issue.  What I have found most effective is giving the crust a good refrigerated rest between forming and baking. 

Edited by donk79 (log)
  • Thanks 1

To find a good recipe for meat pies you might want to look for recipes from the UK. They've been doing them for centuries and seem to be doing a pretty good job of it. Whenever I see them on programs, I always think that I would like to make some pork pies. Then I read through a mountain of recipes and decide maybe not. However, it seems that most of them use lard or a combination of lard and butter, and they use the hot water method to make them. Here is one recipe that I found that seems to be what you might want.

If you have problems with pastry shrinking, it isn't the recipe it is the way in which you handle the dough. When placing it in your molds, you have to be very careful that you don't stretch the dough as you put it in. Make sure that the bottom is pressed flat then gently shape it up the sides without stretching it. That way it will be completely pressed into your form and will not stretch out when the heat hits it.

It seems to me that this would be an excellent idea for a cook-off. Aren't we just about due?

• Thanks 2

37 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

To find a good recipe for meat pies you might want to look for recipes from the UK. They've been doing them for centuries and seem to be doing a pretty good job of it.

A pie crust recipe is not an issue - I need a specific one with above given characteristics, to preserve the really delicate patters during the baking. So, I‘d like to tap into personal experience from our members how to achieve that  …

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/17/2023 at 10:17 AM, Tropicalsenior said:

To find a good recipe for meat pies you might want to look for recipes from the UK. They've been doing them for centuries and seem to be doing a pretty good job of it. Whenever I see them on programs, I always think that I would like to make some pork pies. Then I read through a mountain of recipes and decide maybe not. However, it seems that most of them use lard or a combination of lard and butter, and they use the hot water method to make them. Here is one recipe that I found that seems to be what you might want.

If you have problems with pastry shrinking, it isn't the recipe it is the way in which you handle the dough. When placing it in your molds, you have to be very careful that you don't stretch the dough as you put it in. Make sure that the bottom is pressed flat then gently shape it up the sides without stretching it. That way it will be completely pressed into your form and will not stretch out when the heat hits it.

It seems to me that this would be an excellent idea for a cook-off. Aren't we just about due?

Actually, such a Cook-off already exists. It would be lovely to see it revived. Jump on in, folks!

Edited to add: there are delicious ideas and photos in that topic. 🙂

Edited by Smithy (log)
  • Thanks 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

@Duvel You've probably found a solution by now, but on the off-chance that you haven't, I've noticed that the empanada dough I've developed over time (I wanted a flexible crust, rather than a flaky one) doesn't shrink or expand, and it holds its shape (i.e. the crimping at the edge changes very little, even though it's not in a mould that would support it during baking), once baked. I usually use half a kilo of flour at a time, but this recipe may be multiplied and divided without any adjustments to the ratios.

In a bowl, combine 500g flour and a teaspoon of salt;

In something with a pouring lip, combine 250ml water and 60ml oil

Add liquids to dry ingredients, and knead until smooth.

Ideally, let rest in a cool area or the refriegerator, but I tend to be impatient and use it immediately, and the results are still fine.

I vary the amount of salt depending on the empanada filling I'm using, and choose the flour and oil on the same basis; depending on the flour you're using, you may need more or less water.

I usually bake empanadas in a 200C oven (with convection) for a quarter of an hour; time and temperature may need some adjustment for meat pies cooked in a mould, particularly if the filling is uncooked.

ETA I think that any dough that fits yor requirements would need to contain a decent amount of fat (to minimize/avoid shrinkage: water/water-based liquids evaporate), no leavening (to avoid puffing up), and be relatively firm (so it keeps its shape).

Edited by Mjx
I couldn't stop thinking about this. (log)
  • Thanks 2

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org