• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What Are You Cooking Sous Vide Today? (Part 2)

daveb

Anna, I'm still not sure if it was a temperature issue or a pressure issue but in this case it popped as soon as it was on the bottom.  When doing the creme brûlée it happened just as I got my last jar in the bath so a few seconds 

I had my tops on pretty loose when reloading today and I was sure water would seep in but it didn't.   Makes me think I might be a pressure issue.  In both cases the bottom popped out

I oiled the sides of the jars with olive oil but they were still hard to get out.   Ran a thin knife around the sides and had to somewhat forcefully tap the jars on a cutting board to get the egg to release.

Texture was ok firm and somewhat silky.   I did add a little half and half to the mix because I had a carton that really needed to get used as it only had maybe a little more than an ounce in it.  8 eggs, salt, finely grated cheese, half and half and peppers.   Needed more salt and the cheese was not noted flavorwise.  So next time I'll add more.   

I'll give these another shot but I would not feel comfortable serving to others unless I can get them out intact so the presentation was better.  Oh and the peppers floated to the top

• Like 1

Do you think you might have better luck using something like Pam? I know some people are making their o do you think you might have better luck using something like Pam? I know some people are making their own  non-stick spray using lecithin.  Just wondering. I know the power of eggs to stick!   I need to get more eggs before I try this but I do intend to try it.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I am cooking baby potatoes and when they are finished I will cook a duck breast.  I could start up a second bath but there doesn't seem to be any good reason to do so.

As an aside,  has anyone else noticed that no matter what time or temperature is recommended for potatoes it is almost always well short of the actual time needed? 

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

2 minutes ago, Anna N said:

As an aside,  has anyone else noticed that no matter what time or temperature is recommended for potatoes it is almost always well short of the actual time needed? 

I find that to be true with most potato recipes, SV or not.

• Like 2

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

6 hours ago, scubadoo97 said:

Attempting Eggbites this morning.  Eggs, diced orange peppers and manchego, into the bath at 170f.   First one in popped immediately and I had tempered the jars briefly before immersing.   Had this happen when I made creme brûlée which is why I tempered.   While the fresh water reheated I tempered the remaining 3 longer.   Pretty sure I didn't over tighten the lids but the last three were barely finger tip tight.  So breakfast will be a little later

image.jpeg

I'm surprised.

I do many different projects with canning jars and shock them in different ways with very few failures.

Anyway, I think I'll try the 'eggbites' soon.

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

They are Ball brand.   I thought they should be pretty tough.  And even if it was a pressure issue there was at least a 1/4 inch of air space as I was trying to divide the batter evenly between the 4 jars.   It popped in around 5 seconds of immersion 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, scubadoo97 said:

Now that I've had two episodes of popped jars any thoughts on the cause?

May be a bad batch of jars.

I use Ball jars too.

I don't think quality control is as good as it used to be.

I bought a case of new jars a couple years ago which contained a jar with an obvious factory defect — the blemish was on the inside of the jar.

I complained to Ball and they sent me a coupon for $4.00 off a new case.

Edited by DiggingDogFarm (log)
  • Like 1

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

Do we know how Starbucks are cooking these egg bites? The thoughts of a popping jar full of egg in my Polyscience sous vide rig terrifies me.........the cleaning up!!! 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Doofa said:

Do we know how Starbucks are cooking these egg bites? The thoughts of a popping jar full of egg in my Polyscience sous vide rig terrifies me.........the cleaning up!!! 

From the second photo in the Anova blog post cited above, it appears Starbucks is cooking them in shaped plastic pouches.

As @scubadoo97 described, the mix in the jars is thick and isn't going to run out all over the place from a cracked jar.  

I made another batch of the "egg bites" with the following changes:

I buttered the glass jars

I substituted evaporated milk for the cream cheese.  I'm sure cream would be good, too, but I had a little evap milk in the fridge so it was handy to use up.

I assembled it more like I do a quiche: layer cheese and cooked veg in the jars, whisk the eggs with a bit of cream and pour that over the top.

Cooking temp was 167.5F, instead of 172F.  Time of 1 hr was the same.

Result:

As you can see from the slump, this is a much more tender custard than the result I previously posted, which was quite firm - that one was easy to pick up and take a bite but not particularly charming to me.

IMG_4407.jpg

I would not call this a "bite." It's not something one can easily pick up and pop into your mouth.  You will want a fork.

On the upside, it's not airport food. It's a much more appealing egg dish with a lovely silky custard.  I tried putting the cheese or veg on the bottom but in both cases, they floated up to the top (now on the bottom in the inverted product).

I believe buttering the jars made a big difference.  They released much more easily from the jars.  There was still a bit of egg film on the jars but it was very easy to wash away with a soapy sponge vs a lot of scrubbing with a plain jar.

The original recipe and some comments associated with it stressed the importance of using a blender to combine the cream cheese, eggs and shredded cheeses.  My gut tells me that is a quick way to a tough custard but I recognize that "toughness" lends itself to making the "egg bites" a handy finger food. 

What I made is not a finger food but I find it much more appealing. I put a couple in the fridge so we'll see how well they release from the jars when they're cold and how well they reheat.

• Like 4

@blue_dolphin

I know all about the saying that we eat with our eyes first but I'd be happy to close my eyes and enjoy the texture of your egg thingy.  It looks much more luscious than the bites. Who knows perhaps you will stumble on a happy medium.

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

i don't remember which cut of London broil I am using, but it has Penzey's roasted garlic,, Penzey's smoked paprika and some onion powder. 132.5 for 4 1/4 hours. I will pat it dry and salt it when I sear it.

ETA: I continue to marvel at how this cooking technique can produce tender meat from not-so-special cuts of meat.

Edited by Porthos (log)
  • Like 3

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

Back to the egg bites - I wipe the inside of jar w sesame oil, good release and flavor.  

Have been known to serve the chawan mushi in the jar - something I still get grief from Japanese friends about.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, daveb said:

Back to the egg bites - I wipe the inside of jar w sesame oil, good release and flavor.  

Have been known to serve the chawan mushi in the jar - something I still get grief from Japanese friends about.

I, too, serve it in mason jars.  Fortunately (or perhaps not) I don't have any Japanese friends.:D  I do like the idea of using the sesame oil as it is a flavour I  like.  

My 2004 eG Blog

14 minutes ago, scubadoo97 said:

Sesame oil although delicious is so dominate  even in small quantities 

As are truffles. 

My 2004 eG Blog